Mono vision

Thread: Mono vision

Roll Out Jeremy

Mono vision

After years of chasing around different combinations of glasses, sunglasses, inserts, reading glasses, etc., today I am using monovision contacts for the first time. So far, so good. Its nice to have the peripheral vision back. Especially while riding. My distance is a 1.5 correction, and my close up is a 3.0 correction. Anybody else doing this?
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Mono vision is a fairly common way to correct early presbyopes, though you may find that as you age and your bifocal power increases you start to have some minor issues with it. A slight loss in depth perception is the big issue here, though it's really only an issue up close. However, my mother uses mono vision with a much stronger bifocal power and loves it; everybody is different.

I would recommend a pair of glasses for driving (especially at night) with a distance prescription over your near eye so that both eyes are corrected for distance.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBiker
    Mono vision is a fairly common way to correct early presbyopes, though you may find that as you age and your bifocal power increases you start to have some minor issues with it. A slight loss in depth perception is the big issue here, though it's really only an issue up close. However, my mother uses mono vision with a much stronger bifocal power and loves it; everybody is different.

I would recommend a pair of glasses for driving (especially at night) with a distance prescription over your near eye so that both eyes are corrected for distance.
    You are right of course, but there's something about glasses that are useful only when wearing contacts that is teh laff. OK, I'm just odd.

My wife tried mono, couldn't stand it. Sister swears by them - though I'd rather someone else drive.

Sis: If you're reading this, I'm just kidding. If not, well...
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    You are right of course, but there's something about glasses that are useful only when wearing contacts that is teh laff. OK, I'm just odd.

My wife tried mono, couldn't stand it. Sister swears by them - though I'd rather someone else drive.

Sis: If you're reading this, I'm just kidding. If not, well...
    I hear you, but I don't see how it's any different than someone who wears expensive sunglasses over top their contact lenses; either way the glasses wont help unless the contact lenses are worn. Driving is one of those tasks where having two eyes is much better than one, especially night-time driving.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    i have been doing the mono vision thing for approx 5 years.
    The only time i correct both eyes is when i am down hill ski-ing in flat light or flying my airplane. ( my FAA medical says corrective lenses mono or glasses ok)
    riding my bike I dont notice any problems going"mono". I also can do the mono thing
    with either eye, but my vision not corrected is 30/20left, 40/20right.

disgruntled pigskin fan
    Quote Originally Posted by dani69
    i have been doing the mono vision thing for approx 5 years.
    The only time i correct both eyes is when i am down hill ski-ing in flat light or flying my airplane. ( my FAA medical says corrective lenses mono or glasses ok)
    riding my bike I dont notice any problems going"mono". I also can do the mono thing
    with either eye, but my vision not corrected is 30/20left, 40/20right.
    I think you mean 20/30 in the left eye and 20/40 in the right, which is still decent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    BuckeyeBiker
    oops, my mistake, you are correct about 20/30, 20/40.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBiker
    I hear you, but I don't see how it's any different than someone who wears expensive sunglasses over top their contact lenses; either way the glasses wont help unless the contact lenses are worn. Driving is one of those tasks where having two eyes is much better than one, especially night-time driving.
    Well sure, if you're going to be all rational and all.

But then there's the contacts, and the glasses for when the contacts aren't loving your eyes, and the glasses for driving at night, and the readers for when the contacts aren't in (unless the first 'no contacts' pair are multifocal in one way or another), and the sunglasses in most of the above variations...

Need a labelmaker to keep the variations straight, except that without the proper pair on, you won't be able to read the label, and with them on you won't be able to see the label.....

(Cue Steve Martin movie sequel, only with a glasses organizer in place of the Opti-Grab)

I predict much success for you in your chosen profession.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..