Moonolith

Printable View

  • 03-28-2019
    Akirasho
    1 Attachment(s)
    Moonolith
    The catalyst of the Arthur C. Clarke classic & subsequent film 2001, A Space Odyssey was the discovery of the Monolith on the moon.

    But, what if The Moon IS The Monolith?

    We take it for granted but having a satellite moon of this size in equilibrium orbit around a planet like Earth may be exceptionally rare even as we find more extrasolar planetary systems.

    It could be argued that the tidal forces created by this pairing was key to the development of life... allowing for relatively active plate tectonics to stir up hydrocarbons AND keeping our core molten, thus producing magnetic fields that shield from solar winds (Mars lost its molten core and most of it's atmosphere billions of years ago... it's two moons no more than captured small asteroids).

    Also, would humankind ever have actually attempted space travel (at least this soon in our techno era) if there hadn't been an obtainable goal within 280K? I'm reminded of a Sci-Fi novel I once read where flying animals never evolved thus the emerging civilization took thousands of years to develop an airplane.

    Maybe life WAS seeded here with a big ass Moonolith as incentive!
  • 03-29-2019
    DaveG
    I assume weed is legal where you live?:D
  • 04-04-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I assume weed is legal where you live?:D

    We don't see it, but we've photographed it. The "darkside" of the Moon bears witness to far more violence than our facing side. Basically, the Moon has acted as a sweep, lessening the likelihood of constant extinction level impacts from space debris . Accident or planned by our alien overlords???
  • 04-04-2019
    Eretz
    Why do we exist.

    Grab calculator.
  • 04-04-2019
    velodog
    I prefer "the moon is made of cheese" theory.
  • 04-04-2019
    Eretz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I prefer "the moon is made of cheese" theory.


    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vXN8uEzO3-8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 04-04-2019
    velodog
    Old Ben Gunn

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Alayd_lm3Zk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 04-04-2019
    velodog
    the musical

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RCtblaZnrpw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 04-04-2019
    Akirasho
    … but srsly

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5txHGxJRwtQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AviDjR9mmo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DhTagWzkjHk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cphNpqKpKc4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 04-05-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    … but srsly

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5txHGxJRwtQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6AviDjR9mmo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DhTagWzkjHk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cphNpqKpKc4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    … but srsly

    What's the idea sneaking that "National Geographic, Moon 101" silliness in there?
  • 04-05-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    … but srsly

    What's the idea sneaking that "National Geographic, Moon 101" silliness in there?

    I put in "DUN DUN DUUUUN!!!!"!
  • 04-05-2019
    Cygnus
    Always liked the mathematical description of the monolith’s dimensions in 2001:
    1 x 4 x 9
    The first three squares, universally recognized by any enlightened life form.

    Not a sphere, like our big moon.
  • 04-05-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Always liked the mathematical description of the monolith’s dimensions in 2001:
    1 x 4 x 9
    The first three squares, universally recognized by any enlightened life form.

    Not a sphere, like our big moon.

    … but the next big step is...… CIRCUMFERENCE!!!!!! & PI!!!!!!!

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cphNpqKpKc4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 04-06-2019
    Cygnus
    Disagree. What’s next? Albert I. Would say time (4th d).

    So, there must be 16 (4x4) monoliths scattered around space time. The moon’s 3D monolith at that moment was only one of them. Another we saw with the apes on earth. The other 14?
  • 04-06-2019
    Akirasho
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Disagree. What’s next? Albert I. Would say time (4th d).

    So, there must be 16 (4x4) monoliths scattered around space time. The moon’s 3D monolith at that moment was only one of them. Another we saw with the apes on earth. The other 14?

    … too big of a leap from Euclidean to Temporal!

    16 in all of space/time? Dark side? Moon!!!
  • 04-27-2019
    Akirasho
  • 04-27-2019
    velodog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post

    Keith

    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O5Up-qHTJdY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 04-27-2019
    SystemShock
    Uhh, whut?


    <iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/2Y8Iq3xe121Ba3hUAM" width="480" height="296" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>giphy