Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frog Whisperer

More messing with tools

So, last week, I came to the conclusion that I may be getting too old to be lifting 200 pound logs onto the log splitter, considering that they outweigh me my 75 pounds. I wandered into the house and informed Patsy that I was going to build a "jib crane" onto the splitter to try to save my back. Her response was (and this was a day before my birthday) "well then, you might need your birthday present" and she went out to the car to get me a set of "log tongs" for lifting logs. I had time last week to build it. Required about 70 bucks worth of steel and a lot of work (including welding). My buddy Jim welded it for me with my welder. I haven't tried it yet but I think it is going to work! I need to get a new welding mask, I could do it and do it well!

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    That's a 172.5mm crack and will kill your knees. Just saying.

Do you have a carbonfibre version of that thing yet?
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:18 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    For most carz, you lift or pull an engine. With the original VW Beetle, you dropped it.

After precariously balancing engines on a floor jack, I took the bottom off an old shopping cart, bolted on some heavy wood planking and created a dolly.

The floor jack went under the dolly, the dolly now engaged a far greater and balanced area under the engine and when dropped, the cart wheels allowed the engine to be rolled safely anywhere in the garage.

For almost 30 years, the last engine dropped has sat on it in the corner of the garage awaiting my ability to time travel into the past.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Looks like Blizzak WS50's on the carrier, or Norwegian snows.

Dig the tire siping.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Grain is not level and needs more stickers.
    -

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Damn nice jib crane, Gray, Touch0.

That said, I fully agree with Eretz: it definitely needs more stickers. Moar stickers!!

Full disclosure: I've never heard of or seen a jib crane until two minutes ago.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Double post
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:10 AM.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    So, last week, I came to the conclusion that I may be getting too old to be lifting 200 pound logs onto the log splitter, considering that they outweigh me my 75 pounds. I wandered into the house and informed Patsy that I was going to build a "jib crane" onto the splitter to try to save my back. Her response was (and this was a day before my birthday) "well then, you might need your birthday present" and she went out to the car to get me a set of "log tongs" for lifting logs. I had time last week to build it. Required about 70 bucks worth of steel and a lot of work (including welding). My buddy Jim welded it for me with my welder. I haven't tried it yet but I think it is going to work! I need to get a new welding mask, I could do it and do it well!

I don't see no log tongs in those pics.

Also, since you have a fancy@ss shelter for your winter fuel, what's that pile of wood doing exposed to the elements???

Sweet Potato Kugel
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Tongs are still in the garage, more pictures to come, been REALLY busy, too busy to even mess with the splitter, but sleep isn't really necessary. Wood is out in the elements until I have one side of the wood shed empty and can start filling it up again. That wood is not ready to burn yet. I am losing all the my red and oak to oak wilt and that was yet another victim, 100 plus years old. Getting a 70 foot tall tree on the ground, in a woods is harder than it might seem.

I have 2 more on the ground and ready to be split after Christmas.

As for stickers, lol, they came on the steel and will wear off, I used to be obsessive enough to scrape them off but I am out of energy for now.

And actually, the log tongs are really giant ice tongs but they were labeled as "railroad tie tongs"

Maybe I can get a picture tomorrow or later, but I need to get to the shop. As one of Santa's elves, I get really busy the week before Christmas.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Russian Troll Farmer
    Man, I can almost hear a banjo playing in the background.....

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    For most carz, you lift or pull an engine. With the original VW Beetle, you dropped it.

After precariously balancing engines on a floor jack, I took the bottom off an old shopping cart, bolted on some heavy wood planking and created a dolly.

The floor jack went under the dolly, the dolly now engaged a far greater and balanced area under the engine and when dropped, the cart wheels allowed the engine to be rolled safely anywhere in the garage.

For almost 30 years, the last engine dropped has sat on it in the corner of the garage awaiting my ability to time travel into the past.
    Hey, I can help you! After all my friends abandoned me when replacing the engine in my 1966 Beetle, I managed to install the engine single-handedly. This is a skill I haven't used in years...

Looks like doggy is waiting for his chance....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    Back up to the house for boots and bibs. Crane works perfectly!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Lemme guess, Gifford wood ice thongs, Hudson NY?

That is a brilliant set up T0G.

I can see why you constructed the jib. That chunk of trunk has to be 200 lbs wet.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I may be getting too old to be lifting 200 pound logs onto the log splitter, considering that they outweigh me my 75 pounds.
    I know a lot of guys much younger than you that can't lift 200 lbs.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Back up to the house for boots and bibs. Crane works perfectly!

OK, NOW cue the "Dueling Banjos".......

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Lemme guess, Gifford wood ice thongs, Hudson NY?

That is a brilliant set up T0G.

I can see why you constructed the jib. That chunk of trunk has to be 200 lbs wet.
    Thanks, not a clue what tongs are but it works beautifully. Best plan is to set the points into the end of the logs, that way no finding center of balance required. I may need to get a hard hat, only hit my head once but it hurt (no stitches required)

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:59 PM.
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post

Hey, I can help you! After all my friends abandoned me when replacing the engine in my 1966 Beetle, I managed to install the engine single-handedly. This is a skill I haven't used in years...
    Looked around and couldn't find my stable of Veedub photos, but I had a 1966 [6 volt] and 2 1967s [all at the same time]. The 67's had the body bright work narrowed, 12 volt system and 1500cc. One was a sedan, while the other was a convertible. I was always pulling those motors out fiddling around with kits. I loved that fresh smell of raw gasoline while driving. No one every knew how to fold a cabriolet roof top properly. I would always stop folks and show them how to fold the top down correctly or otherwise that middle pleat unfolded had the top obstructing the rear view completely, example here from someone who's selling a dub professionally and still can't get it right.

That Lotus was new.
    -

Non non normal
    Why don't you use the hydraulics on the log splitter on the jib crane? It would save yourself cranking

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Why don't you use the hydraulics on the log splitter on the jib crane? It would save yourself cranking
    Would cost me another couple of hundred bucks, valves, diverter and hydraulic motor I would think. It is not hard to crank at all. I could have just bought a new splitter that stands up, be no need to lift anything. I don't really like them, IMO, they are flawed by design. Fact is, this splitter is great been using it for at least 25 years now. I am on my 3rd engine, first one moved to a go cart and was replaced with a bigger one... Blew that one up, replaced it 4 or 5 years ago. This one is GREAT! I like the fact that the wood is pushed through the wedge not the wedge pushed through the wood.

Russian Troll Farmer

That Lotus was new.
    Wow, an Esprit. I'm not sure if I'm not sure if I should show jealousy or pity.....

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Looked around and couldn't find my stable of Veedub photos, but I had a 1966 [6 volt] and 2 1967s [all at the same time]. The 67's had the body bright work narrowed, 12 volt system and 1500cc. One was a sedan, while the other was a convertible. I was always pulling those motors out fiddling around with kits. I loved that fresh smell of raw gasoline while driving. No one every knew how to fold a cabriolet roof top properly. I would always stop folks and show them how to fold the top down correctly or otherwise that middle pleat unfolded had the top obstructing the rear view completely, example here from someone who's selling a dub professionally and still can't get it right.

That Lotus was new.
    I had a 66 (wrecked), a 64, and one of my all time favorite cars, a 67.

Ah, the smell of gasoline coming through the dashboard when the tank would inevitably rust out in the low spot that caught water! Ah, the smell of exhaust leaking into the cabin when the "heater" is turned on. Ah, the fuel line to the carb breaking and spewing gasoline all over the hot engine. Good times, good times.

They were easy to work on. Tune ups, oil changes, valve adjustments... all so simple.

The 67 had such a great motor, I miss that car on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the body rusted to oblivion from road salt and, of course, acidic something-or-other under the battery on the floor under the back seat.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

The 67 had such a great motor, I miss that car on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the body rusted to oblivion from road salt and, of course, acidic something-or-other under the battery on the floor under the back seat.
    One production year only, 1500 cc out of the kombi. Great torque, better electrical and brighter lights.

The other 67 was white with a sun roof. I bought it off the original owner who was a college shop teacher, M.E. Meticulous record keeping of oil changes, receipts on tire rotations, - every gas receipt with fuel consumption booklet.... but the flooring finally gave way to rust. So he put it up for sale as a parts car. I paid $300 [mid 80's]. The motor was velvet smooth, the shifting felt like butter between gears, had all its OEM chrome intact and -again the beauty rings on the 15 inch rims, OEM painted black outer and white centre. I stumbled onto a welder who was working duct work at a McDo's. Nice guy. He had a shop. Following week I received a floor pan [4 piece] and that battery tray got a coating of tar with saran wrap on top of it before the battery went back in. The entire cost of new floors set me back $250 with labour. He shored up the heater box channels on both left and right sides of the rockers. Running boards OEM ran $35. Those were the days. Had it's original spare tire and complete tool kit. Sold it for a large profit to a medical student in Maryland who had to have it. The convertible was sold once weather got cool. Made money off that. The 66 was stolen. They are easy vehicles to steal. That was sad.
    -

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    One production year only, 1500 cc out of the kombi. Great torque, better electrical and brighter lights.

The other 67 was white with a sun roof. I bought it off the original owner who was a college shop teacher, M.E. Meticulous record keeping of oil changes, receipts on tire rotations, - every gas receipt with fuel consumption booklet.... but the flooring finally gave way to rust. So he put it up for sale as a parts car. I paid $300 [mid 80's]. The motor was velvet smooth, the shifting felt like butter between gears, had all its OEM chrome intact and -again the beauty rings on the 15 inch rims, OEM painted black outer and white centre. I stumbled onto a welder who was working duct work at a McDo's. Nice guy. He had a shop. Following week I received a floor pan [4 piece] and that battery tray got a coating of tar with saran wrap on top of it before the battery went back in. The entire cost of new floors set me back $250 with labour. He shored up the heater box channels on both left and right sides of the rockers. Running boards OEM ran $35. Those were the days. Had it's original spare tire and complete tool kit. Sold it for a large profit to a medical student in Maryland who had to have it. The convertible was sold once weather got cool. Made money off that. The 66 was stolen. They are easy vehicles to steal. That was sad.
    Stealing one would be a piece of cake. Easy to open the wing windows or jimmy the door, pop the trunk and hotwire the ignition, and off you go.

The only maintenance I left to the mechanic was stuff that required pulling the engine; also the steering and suspension parts.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Great Video. Original owner for over 51 years, and the professional restoration.

-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast