Frog Whisperer

More stupid chainsaw tricks

My best friend's son had a Stihl 025 that would NOT start. I pulled the fuel cap off and, duh... No wonder. The fuel line/filter was rotted off. As a very important tip to anyone reading this, NEVER, EVER use ethanol based fuel in any machine with a carburetor!

I priced new fuel lines, filter, air filter, plug and vent lines separately and it would have been $40 or more. AND, if the rubber lines were shot, the diaphragms in the carb were probably toast too. A rebuild kit... Another 7 bucks and an hour labor. I ordered this kit, carb, fuel filter, air filter, lines, vents and for 15 bucks and 1/3 the time, I had the saw up and running perfectly. HONESTLY, I literally (yes, I DO mean literally) never as much as touched a screw on the carb. Fueled it up pulled the cord 3 times and boom, running perfectly. I just ran a full tank through it and the only time the engine stopped was when I stopped it or it ran out of fuel. It even sat for a couple of minutes idling while I was moving some logs. 10 out of 10, period!
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:32 AM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    .. was expecting blood & gore

Frog Whisperer
    There is only one kind of accident with a chainsaw.... A bad accident!
    Me hurting myself is a standing lounge joke, but seriously, I use more power tools than most people and I make my living with sharp stuff and fire, so sh!t* happens. But I am pretty anal about safety in reality.

You ever see the brush cutter blade I use on my weed wacker?

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    You ever see the brush cutter blade I use on my weed wacker?

Quick, without looking, how many toes do you have?

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Quick, without looking, how many toes do you have?
    Is that a trick question? I dunno, I have socks on. But I got 8 fingers.........

And 2 thumbs.

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Your best friend's son needs to read the Stihl manual, then he won't have the problems you fixed.

When finished using the saw you MUST run the engine dry:

1. Drain the remaining fuel from the chainsaw back into the container.

2. Start the engine, but don't squeeze the throttle. Let it idle until it dies.

3. Repeat step 2 until it won't start after two pulls.

Yes; the ethanol will ruin the engine and parts. I learned the hard way myself. After the dealer's repair, he explained to me what I failed to see in the manual but sure enough; it's there. Besides, my friends supposedly had no problems with their Stihl chainsaws so I figured they must know what they're doing.

However, after following the procedure above, I've never had a problem and it's been many, many years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I've had a Stihl for many years. Never ran it dry. Never had a problem starting it.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Russian Troll Farmer
    The problem is not ethanol per se, but rather whether the carb seal, lines, etc. are OK for ethanol. I have a Honda lawnmower and an Ariens snowblower with a Tecumseh 2-stroke, and both run great on 10% ethanol/gas blends. I doubt that E85 would be advisable, but using 10% pump unleaded treated with ethanol-blend gas treatment, I've had zero problems.

You CAN buy pre-mixed 2-stroke fuel at Home Depot.....for about $22/gallon. Or you can buy non-ethanol gas (90 RON stuff near me costs ~$3.50/gallon currently), but I find that neither is worth the extra cost.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Boobies!
    Always using premium gas helps--and use high quality admix oil (I still buy the Stihl for my saws...)

But yeah, leaving ethanol gas in can do serious damage--it rotted a carb in our Honda lawnmower that got stored while we were overseas (and that I forgot about). Good thing though--you can get parts!
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Rub it............
    All my small engine equipment was always ran dry with a can of Seafoam ran through it before being put away for the season.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    How long does it take for ethanol to damage the parts?

I have a Honda garden tiller that I use regular gas in and I've never drained it between uses. I think I bought it new in 1985 or 1986. Sometimes I need to pull it twice to start it. Like if I forget to put the choke on for the first pull.

And I also have a Stihl 023 chain saw that's been around like forever. Regular gas and never drained between uses and still works fine.

But the newest gas powered item I have (Stihl trimmer) needed a new fuel line because the original one went "soggy" from the ethanol in the gas.

Frog Whisperer
    my saws, and blower never get run dry before storage, well actually, they never really go into storage. I use them pretty much year round. My mowers get Stabil and run until I am sure the mix is into the carb. At this point, if it goes into a can, I use fuel with no ethanol. As for oil for the mix, I have switched to nothing but Stihl, hp ultra synthetic (even in my echo). I also use bio plus bar lube exclusively since essentially I am just spraying all over my property. It is actually required for use on wetlands and frankly, I don't see why they even make dino bar lube. Right now I have 5 Stihl saws here, a stihl trimmer (4 mix) and an echo blower. I go through about 8 gallons of 2 cycle fuel a year so 22 bucks a gallon is out of the question. At a buck a gallon more for ethanol free, it's worth it to me. The mowers and log splitter use maybe another 8 gallons/year.

Then, I go thru about 45 gallons of diesel as well, but off road is way cheaper than road use diesel since there are no "road" taxes on it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    The problem is not ethanol per se, but rather whether the carb seal, lines, etc. are OK for ethanol.
    this is fact!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    There is a local gas station that sells ethanol free, it is about 30-40 cents more a gallon. I always wondered if it was worth it (for my truck), but I think I will start getting it for the small engines.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    I never put any ethanol gas in my boats or small motors. It either eats the carb parts or sucks up water. Nope, not worth it.

And I have one of these for the coming zombie apocalypse.

Name:  chain saw blade 71TDMWCZKFL.gif
Views: 85
Size:  241.6 KB
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    John won't let me use the chainsaw, refuses to teach me. At least I can split logs (slowly.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is a local gas station that sells ethanol free, it is about 30-40 cents more a gallon. I always wondered if it was worth it (for my truck), but I think I will start getting it for the small engines.
    I hauled a collection of my dad's power tools to the local small engine guy, since they refused to run, or barely ran, and it was all ethanol related deterioration. He said cars don't have a problem with it since they are all designed to use it, small engines aren't. We have one chain of gas stations that sells ethanol free, so that's whats in them now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 6 motorcycles I take care of for my kids and I, from 50cc to 525cc. I used to use any 93-octane fuel and would have ethanol-related problems only on my 4-stroke bikes, never with the 2-strokes, I suspect the oil in the 2-stroke fuel helped mitigate the ethanol issues. Should've been zero issues but sometimes the kids forget to switch the petcock off and let it die.
    Bought a 14" Craftsman chainsaw when I moved into my first house and it lasted 12 years before the first fuel-related issue, deteriorated fuel lines. I keep non-ethanol in a 5-gallon can just for my small engines now but still let them starve for fuel when I put them away.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    My best friend's son had a Stihl 025 that would NOT start....
    Reminds me of this thread.

Stihl 025 in Chainsaws
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I have 6 motorcycles I take care of for my kids and I, from 50cc to 525cc. I used to use any 93-octane fuel and would have ethanol-related problems only on my 4-stroke bikes, never with the 2-strokes, I suspect the oil in the 2-stroke fuel helped mitigate the ethanol issues. Should've been zero issues but sometimes the kids forget to switch the petcock off and let it die.
    Bought a 14" Craftsman chainsaw when I moved into my first house and it lasted 12 years before the first fuel-related issue, deteriorated fuel lines. I keep non-ethanol in a 5-gallon can just for my small engines now but still let them starve for fuel when I put them away.
    Never thought of doing that, however, the only one that has a fuel valve is the log splitter. The rest get run often enough (with no ethanol) that it has never been a problem.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    I never put any ethanol gas in my boats or small motors. It either eats the carb parts or sucks up water. Nope, not worth it.

And I have one of these for the coming zombie apocalypse.

Name:  chain saw blade 71TDMWCZKFL.gif
Views: 85
Size:  241.6 KB
    You do wood carving?

Rub it............
    You do wood carving?
    Ice carving
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.