My NNC machine is getting thrashed by rain right now
    i like whiskey

My NNC machine is getting thrashed by rain right now

I rode this morning before work and it's in the back of my truck and a rain storm rolled through about 15 minutes ago. Hopefully the leather bar tape and matching saddle come through unscathed. Not to mention the lovely steel frame.

waterproof*
    this is why I always put a bag over my Brooks when it's on the car, regardless of the forecast.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Who needs a map?
    I commuted to work today. I stopped looking at the weather reports because they've been consistently wrong for weeks now. I got dumped on during the ride home. I hit the cables and chain with some lube so it should be ok. Riding in the rain was a nice change from riding in the heat. Plus we really needed the rain.
    Last edited by nonsleepingjon; 06-28-2010 at 09:49 PM.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

i like whiskey
    I wiped it down good when I got home. I didn't lube the cables or chain but I can do that tonight. The leather bar tape was still wet this morning. I've been putting leather conditioner on it every month or two, so hopefully it dries out without much damage. The saddle I recovered to match looks almost perfect. That leather must have a different finish on it.

Rain rides are great, esp. when we've been riding in the heat a bunch. Always fun.

Who needs a map?
    Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    I wiped it down good when I got home. I didn't lube the cables or chain but I can do that tonight. The leather bar tape was still wet this morning. I've been putting leather conditioner on it every month or two, so hopefully it dries out without much damage. The saddle I recovered to match looks almost perfect. That leather must have a different finish on it.

Rain rides are great, esp. when we've been riding in the heat a bunch. Always fun.

I'm wary about my cables. Last year I had a brake cable on my road bike completely rust to the point where it seized in the housing. I think some sports drink leaked out on to the cable when I hung up the bike and since it is essentially saltwater it really did some damage. I had to replace the cable and the housing. So, now I shoot some wd40 in to the housing and wipe down the cables with it just to drive out any water and prevent rust.

Hope the leather turns out ok. I want to try a brooks saddle at some point but I ride in all conditions and don't want to have to worry about the leather getting wet.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    My commute bike has been rained on pretty consistently for the last four years (I live in Seattle). I don't do anything special to it--I put it away wet and maybe wipe it down and lube the chain on the weekend if I feel like it. My leather saddle is fine, everything is fine. I don't get the fear over water. Oh, and it's a steal frame, too!

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsleepingjon
    I'm wary about my cables. Last year I had a brake cable on my road bike completely rust to the point where it seized in the housing. I think some sports drink leaked out on to the cable when I hung up the bike and since it is essentially saltwater it really did some damage. I had to replace the cable and the housing. So, now I shoot some wd40 in to the housing and wipe down the cables with it just to drive out any water and prevent rust.

Hope the leather turns out ok. I want to try a brooks saddle at some point but I ride in all conditions and don't want to have to worry about the leather getting wet.
    I have internal cable routing so I didn't think about water getting in there. I def. will have to check the bike closely tonight. I think the cables are OK since they are full length housing. There are no breaks but it never hurts to check.

The bar tape is the elk hide stuff from Velo Orange and it's sew on. It looks great but was a PITA to install. Not to mention it took me 1-1.5 hours per side to sew them on. If I have to do something with the cables or housing or replace the tape, it's gonna be a long project. But there are plenty of shoes that get wet and dry out OK. The leather is comparable and has been conditioned plenty, so fingers crossed it's gonna be OK. I think I'll ping VO and see what they say.

Brooks sells some conditioner called Proofhide or something like that. Supposed to make their stuff water proof. Dave Hickey I'm sure has used it.