My year in review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scary Teddy Bear

My year in review

I've gained 38 pounds....

I barely ride any of the bikes in my stable....I'm fairly certain that they hate me.....

I work WAY, WAY too much, like 90 hours a week or more if you count clinical, research, administrative, and policy work

I have 4 current research projects, a paper with the eminent Dr Hoo, and a book in the works....2 of which are funded by grants.....(YES!)

I sit on 2 editorial advisory boards, a national academy council, and a BOD of large, national organization......along with 3 departmental committees, and 2 institutional committees. I am also in an institutional supervisory role.

I have a wonderful wife....(YES, things have gotten much better), and a daughter who means more to me than my own life.....

IN summary, life is good.....

and bad.......

And you?
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I started grad school and gained 4 pounds.

Palm trees & sunshine!
    2010 was a pretty insane year for me as well. I was responsible for overseeing the site selection, construction and move of our main US call center and central data center. At the same time, I switched us over from an amalgam of independent TDM and Cisco VoIP ACDs to a single, centralized Astersik based system that's integrated into our CRM. On the heels of that, I'm now working on building and launching a new line of business that is supposed to be profitable in an extremely crowded market where most of the competition is hemorrhaging cash out of every orifice. We have a target launch date of 3/1/11. Yippee.

But at least I haven't gained 38lbs.

supervillain

your text here
    i was wondering how you were doing. glad to see you are keeping busy and things your wife are improving.

sorry to hear you havent been riding or triathloning.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Proud luddite
    I can honestly say that 2010 was the worst year in my 44 years on this planet. Just a sprinkling of what I endured:

the death of my father
    the arrest of my stepson for using & dealing, and ongoing problems with that
    sending my only child across the country for school (that's also a good thing)
    problems with our cats soiling/destroying our carpets
    huge car repair expenses
    thousands to replace our home's plumbing
    water damage AFTER the plumbing was replaced
    work sucks but I'm stuck for now
    a constantly high level of stress at home

I want to stab 2010 in the liver.

waterproof*
    Phys, you're an inspiration. I'm glad to know it's people like you doing the work you do.

Me, been kinda treading water, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Work is going well, kids are doing great in school, momma's happy. Not much in the way of adventure or excitement though; and I do get the occasional longing to ditch it all and run away for whatever escapist fantasy happens to grip me at the moment.
    * not actually a Rock Star

wots...uh the deal?
    crosstown reply.

I've lost about 30 pounds. I got on in the gym last winter and got on the bike over the summer. Weak and fat turned into less weak and a less fat. Only about 3000 miles, but I was riding with the neighbors over the weekends. (ok, not matching his 140 mile rides, but the 70-90s were ok). My bike likes me again. But it knows I'm looking for a new one.

Remembered that it's much easier to run a couple miles when the body isn't giggling as much.

On the flip side, work was the major suxxor. The whole year. Being called at 2am on Sunday morning for work really throws off the day's ride...

So, are we living inverse lives?

Scary Teddy Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    I can honestly say that 2010 was the worst year in my 44 years on this planet. Just a sprinkling of what I endured:

the death of my father
    the arrest of my stepson for using & dealing, and ongoing problems with that
    sending my only child across the country for school (that's also a good thing)
    problems with our cats soiling/destroying our carpets
    huge car repair expenses
    thousands to replace our home's plumbing
    water damage AFTER the plumbing was replaced
    work sucks but I'm stuck for now
    a constantly high level of stress at home

I want to stab 2010 in the liver.

Jesus, that sucks man, that really sucks.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

I like waterboarding...
    2010 was good in most respects

- left a job that was over working me and keeping me from my family.
    - moved into a new job making 25k more than the previous job.
    - spent a lot more time with the family, not stressed when im with them
    - got to ride a bit more after the job change

The ugly...
    - found out at the end of 2009 that my liver is dying a slow death. Wife is freaked out that I'm dying...
    - New job is going to be gone by April 2011. Company is closing this office and moving everything to Indonesia.
    - I get to walk away with 6mo of severance for staying on until the company closure is complete...
    .......__o
    .......\ <,
    ....( )/ ( )

Seat's not level
    Spent a lot of time in the basement. Team Collin stickers and etching glass. My daughter thought I spent too much time down there. The little business keeps growing. There have been lots of good learning experiences along the way.

Met a few Loungers for a ride and beers. Sledgehammer makes good beer.

Daughter got a cat for her birthday. Half eaten by a dog and $5k later we still have the cat. It's a bit crazy, but it's a good cat.

Survived another year at the real work. Not as much fun as the little business, but it pays the bills so I can play with the other one.

I'm sure there is more, but I have a cold and trying to think back through the haze this moring is a bit much.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the feeling that 2010 was good to me, probably because 2009 was so not.
    work was a stable meh, family times ruled, I reclaimed a high average speed on the bike, and the wife came up unexpectedly pregnant. I've not been able to rule out the milk man yet but we did find out yesterday that it's a boy(which does not displease me as I currently own one of each).
    I am hoping that 2011 is going to be nice to me but as I sit here I am arse-deep in auditors ( have been for three weeks), am on call for jury duty all month, have a weeks worth of out of town meetings upcoming, And am in the process of moving to a newly purchased house with a heavily pregnant wife. I figure if I get through January, the rest of the year should be a piece of cake.
    That is all.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    2010 was pretty good for me, I think.

-Raced a few times at varying distances and activities. Capped off the year with a decent time in my first Olympic tri. Pretty pleased with that.
    -Work continued to be work. They decided to pay me more, so Ejdo bought me a cool camera. Can't argue with anything there.
    -Ejdo and I both stayed healthy. Hospital and doctor visits were at an all time low this year, I think.
    -The dog is basically healthy and happy. Took him backpacking this weekend with some friends and I think he had a blast.
    -Most of my family is in good health. I have a godmother who was diagnosed with Alzheimers, but medication seems to be helping some.
    -Looks like 2011 will be a heck of a year, as we found out in November that I'm pregnant. The wild ride starts in July.

All in all, not many complaints. At least not ones that are worth complaining about in the grand scheme of things.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Meow!
    Way to bury the lead, Hokie (unless I missed the announcement in another thread)! Congrats to you and Ejdo! I hope the pregnancy's going well so far and that it continues to do so.
    You can't change people. They have to change themselves. Just like babies.

Moderatus Puisne
    Yeah, no kidding! That is to say, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel
    Way to bury the lead, Hokie (unless I missed the announcement in another thread)! Congrats to you and Ejdo! I hope the pregnancy's going well so far and that it continues to do so.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel
    I was curious to see how long it would take for someone to notice that

3 mos in and everything is great now. Thanksgiving sucked big time, but I feel fine now. Thanks for the well wishes.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider
    I was curious to see how long it would take for someone to notice that

3 mos in and everything is great now. Thanksgiving sucked big time, but I feel fine now. Thanks for the well wishes.
    Congrats! Just one word of advice: please don't raise your child to be a Hokie. Tarheel fans prove to be much more well-rounded people.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    Congrats! Just one word of advice: please don't raise your child to be a Hokie. Tarheel fans prove to be much more well-rounded people.
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree there. And seeing as this kid is going to be surrounded by Hokies....I think he/she will probably be a pretty big Hokie fan.

No hero that's understood
    Congrats.

Awesome news.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

RoadBikeReview Member
    2010 was pretty awesome in ways I had given up on in previous years. Also some of the most intensely difficult moments; generally disappointing in terms of biking; otherwise fine and dandy.

2011 is off to a good start, with a little Running Club with the girls during lunch and passing a civil service exam and doing well (fwiw).

Scary Teddy Bear

-Raced a few times at varying distances and activities. Capped off the year with a decent time in my first Olympic tri. Pretty pleased with that.
    -Work continued to be work. They decided to pay me more, so Ejdo bought me a cool camera. Can't argue with anything there.
    -Ejdo and I both stayed healthy. Hospital and doctor visits were at an all time low this year, I think.
    -The dog is basically healthy and happy. Took him backpacking this weekend with some friends and I think he had a blast.
    -Most of my family is in good health. I have a godmother who was diagnosed with Alzheimers, but medication seems to be helping some.
    -Looks like 2011 will be a heck of a year, as we found out in November that I'm pregnant. The wild ride starts in July.

All in all, not many complaints. At least not ones that are worth complaining about in the grand scheme of things.

Congrats on the baby Hokie, that's awesome.....Of course, you do realize that you'll be full term in summer....

Windrider (Stubborn)

Sweet news....congradulations

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Windrider (Stubborn)

- wife had 3 surgeries related to breast Cancer.
    - Pathology continues to say Cancer free! (yay.)
    - 2 week trip to Baltic with family & friends....awesome
    - Work is getting busier and busier and wearing me down.
    - Riding suffered miserably from caretaking and work
    - My crazy sister is (seemingly) trying to blow up the family and I'm the only one now everyone can talk to....talk about energy draining.
    - Haven't had time or energy to take a picture for pleasure since Summer.
    - Worked every day since Thanksgiving including Xmas & New years day....so I'm damn weary.
    - Oldest son got engaged to a wonderful girl

all in all a very up & down year.....I'm hoping for a more up 2011.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by physasst
    Congrats on the baby Hokie, that's awesome.....Of course, you do realize that you'll be full term in summer....
    I plan on spending the months of June and July until the birth simply floating in the lake. I figure that will be better than being the beached whale on land.

Boobies!
    2010 started with looming catastrophe, and finished on a note of optimism. Last January, my wife's interim CEO job disappeared when the company tanked while we were still carrying two houses and living in a construction zone.

Fast forward--wife is working (although not her dream job), second house dumped (and beating taken), kitchen and most of the main section of the house completed, all of our gear moved in.

Another bout of Lyme disease put a crimp in my riding, so I'm a little fatter and a little slower--but, hey, its a new year & I got rollers for Christmas.

I've started planning the master bathroom reno--the strip-out is next on my list of things to do.

Great news about the baby, Hokie.

Len--you need to seriously take a holiday!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Sooper Dooper Moderator!

That's fantastic. Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast