NC board related-- moderators welcome!
    gazing from the shadows

NC board related-- moderators welcome!

I have a modest proposal.

I admit that I've not been paying much attention to anything but grading and garden work lately. But sometimes grading reminds me of things, and gets me thinking about interesting problems.

I always get conflict resolution papers. I also know something about the literature beyond what my students say. I've taken classes with one of the leading figures in the area (15 years ago). Yeah, argument from authority, I know.

I have a proposal for board moderator that is a serious one, and that I think is a good one. Please discuss.

2 moderator candidates. They spend next week posting what they see as uncivil AND/OR rule violations. They try to work out standards they share and agree on. They do so publicly, not only showing they agree with each other but showing everyone here WHAT THINGS WILL BE LIKE under their rule.

After a week, they will either have total community support, or none. If none, nothing is lost. If total, well, then that is pretty darn good, right?

I've two people in mind. Both are here A LOT!!! Both evoke strong reactions on the "other" side. Both are capable of being not nice. Both, I think, would prefer a better place in terms of tone. If both agree on something being uncivil, it probably is.

After that first week, when they are on the same page, either of them could moderate without consultation with the other. That would give MANY hours of coverage to the board.

I'll not put the names out there now. Feel free to do so. Or to just discuss this plan in the abstract theoretical sense.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    I have a modest proposal.

I admit that I've not been paying much attention to anything but grading and garden work lately. But sometimes grading reminds me of things, and gets me thinking about interesting problems.

I always get conflict resolution papers. I also know something about the literature beyond what my students say. I've taken classes with one of the leading figures in the area (15 years ago). Yeah, argument from authority, I know.

I have a proposal for board moderator that is a serious one, and that I think is a good one. Please discuss.

2 moderator candidates. They spend next week posting what they see as uncivil AND/OR rule violations. They try to work out standards they share and agree on. They do so publicly, not only showing they agree with each other but showing everyone here WHAT THINGS WILL BE LIKE under their rule.

After a week, they will either have total community support, or none. If none, nothing is lost. If total, well, then that is pretty darn good, right?

I've two people in mind. Both are here A LOT!!! Both evoke strong reactions on the "other" side. Both are capable of being not nice. Both, I think, would prefer a better place in terms of tone. If both agree on something being uncivil, it probably is.

After that first week, when they are on the same page, either of them could moderate without consultation with the other. That would give MANY hours of coverage to the board.

I'll not put the names out there now. Feel free to do so. Or to just discuss this plan in the abstract theoretical sense.
    moderators? we don't need no stinkin' moderators. my 2c.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Seeking shades of grey
    Agree. Moderation is the antithesis of the type of discussion that occurs here, and as of late I haven't witnessed much need for it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Gran
    Agree. Moderation is the antithesis of the type of discussion that occurs here, and as of late I haven't witnessed much need for it.
    but liberals know what we need beter than we do! who are you peasants who dare to speak?! give them a chance, they make really really annoying crying sounds when theyre out of power and its worth giving them the control just to get them to stop it.

gazing from the shadows

I actually agree with you.

There has not been much need of it lately. I consider self moderation by the community as the best form. However, that requires that the MAJORITY of regulars step up to the plate and call people on stuff when it starts up, and it takes not feeding the flames.

Of course, what works now might not work as well come late January!

Jun 1999

censoring extremely rare

Actually, in the year I was moderator, except for the two day flurry of "homosexual / Golf Review" posts by one idiot, I bet I did not delete 5 posts from Noncycling in an entire year. It was very, very rare, and to me obviously necessary at the time. They had to be blatant personal attacks, obscene language, or containing nude photos. All of these were well outside the forum guidelines.

Now, on frequent occasions I warned and chastised people, but did not delete their posts. 99% of the time this is all that was required, and also served to deter others from similar violations. I spent far more time warning than censoring.

The bottom line is that there must be some moderator, even if it's Gregg himself. You just can't allow everything, or the site would be overrun with nut cases in a day, and everyone else would leave. It's bad enough as it is; throw in obscene language and blatant personal attacks, and it would be a sewer.

So, this really isn't that big a deal. More than anything, you just need sort of a cop looking over everyone's shoulder, not so much to arrest people, but just to deter the really nasty stuff.

Anyone should be able to do this, if they have the time and "take an oath", regardless of personal beliefs, to follow the Forum Guidelines and Terms of Use. They are pretty clear.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dr hoo
    There has not been much need of it lately. I consider self moderation by the community as the best form. However, that requires that the MAJORITY of regulars step up to the plate and call people on stuff when it starts up, and it takes not feeding the flames.

Of course, what works now might not work as well come late January!

Jan 2004

Ah bill. You can't even join in a serious

Quote Originally Posted by bill105
    but liberals know what we need beter than we do! who are you peasants who dare to speak?! give them a chance, they make really really annoying crying sounds when theyre out of power and its worth giving them the control just to get them to stop it.
    discussion about the board without snarling re: your beloved libbies. It would be interesting to see you make an effort, in one post, to say something outside your troubling obsession that we all could take seriously. Alas.

hoo, your proposal is sound. Name names.
    In case you're wondering, my avatar is a photo of a worker in chains, rising up to cast them off. An old piece of IWW (Wobbly) art.

gazing from the shadows

Rofl!

Doug, in the year you were moderator, I personally posted more than 5 posts that should have been yanked. Heck, I probably did that in the first 2 weeks of posting on this board! Ask Steam, I bet he remembers some of them

King Log.