The New 2020 Corvette is Mid-Engine - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    'Front mid-engined', not rear mid-engined like this one.

aka pretty different.

S2000 and Miata also.

Most front mid engine cars achieve somewhere close to a 50/50 weight distribution, although thatís achievable in front engine cars e.g. Porsche 944.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bleed Ford blue, and although I think it looks fairly generic for a supercar, it looks pretty good for a vette. Not fond of it being rear-engined but then again I'm not fond of a non-V8 GT-40.
    Can't wait to see the Z06/ZR1 iterations.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    S2000 and Miata also.

Most front mid engine cars achieve somewhere close to a 50/50 weight distribution, although thatís achievable in front engine cars e.g. Porsche 944.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    While 50/50 weight distribution helps, mid engine design still provides least polar moments of inertia, which has greater impact on handling than weight distribution. Trade off for mid engine is serviceability. The new Vette may have low acquisition cost, but I suspect the cost of ownership will be significantly higher than previous generation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Never mind the wing, the entire rear end just looks a bit too busy.
    Absolutely horrible. I'd rather spend $200K for a nice rear end.
    Last edited by troutmd; 07-23-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    The new Vette may have low acquisition cost, but I suspect the cost of ownership will be significantly higher than previous generation.
    Plugs every 60,000 miles and serp belt change at 90,000 miles. At 7,500 you check oil level similarly to these previous editions and from the chevy guys, access to the C8 engine is much easier then any A8 or A10. The dry sump system is from the top. I do not see this vehicle being costly for maintenance at all and if you watch Jay Leno's July 19th review he makes note of the NON-Tech stuff keeping price down [non-touch screen vs pushing a botton].. Fuel consumption can pull mid-upper 20's with the two tall top gear ratios. Gosh if you granade the engine, JEGS can have one shipped to your door step - long block- for under $8k. LOL Nice review on the motor here.

You can not beat this deal. And.... -> Andy said it best.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Under $60,000 review.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Think it is a revolutionary change for the Corvette. The C5 was a huge change in many ways, but those changes pale in comparison to this one. Usually it takes me a year or so to warm up to each new generation, but in my eyes this one is stunning. They have managed to make it still look like a Corvette, and I'm sure there are a lot of design homages to prior generations within it.

I've never really considered moving up from my C5, but in a couple of years, I could easily see a C8 in the garage replacing the C5.

Still stunned at the base price, a huge value for sure. However, what is really of interest is what is next - Z06 and ZR1 versions. Those will be a whole new level of performance, for sure.

As to the design looking like a Civic, I've noticed that same similarity with the C7 rear as well. At this point, I suspect that a lot of design options are fully dictated by aerodynamics and computers, hence more similarities than ever in car design. Heck, one cannot tell the difference between all the 4 door sedans these days, be it honda, nissan, toyota, kia, etc. Take away the badge, and they all look the same. There is almost nothing left as visual cues any more. BMW's split grill is close to it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rear end, while not perfect and perhaps too busy, can undergo a clean up by simply going mono-color with all body panels, ditch the Corvette badging, and matte coating on the exhaust tips. To my eye looks much better without the rear spoiler (see middle photo in #30 above).

Same "mono-color" treatments may apply to side intake panels & mirrors (and perhaps the front valance), but need to see the car in person. Car has plenty of "blink" so the satin finish on the wheel works for me and please no chessy hot-red or nuke-yellow brake calipers.

Sure hope GM provides the new Corvette with HUD technology.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Not a total fan of the sharp styling but like the project overall. Only concern would be Dual-Clutch ownership costs/woes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The fact that this will start at around $60k is astonishing. I can't see a compelling reason to buy any other two seat sports car priced between $200k and $60k unless you absolutely must have a manual transmission.

GM knocked it out of the park in my book.
    Having such large engine will limit its appeal regardless of how good rest of the car is. Many other marques have proven that displacement is no longer a necessity for power, just a cheap way of getting it with big trade-off in efficiency and fuel economy. I'd be far more impressed if GM had came up with a hybrid power package AND kept it under $60K.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Only concern would be Dual-Clutch ownership costs/woes.
    In late 2018 GM's extended warranty upgrades Chevrolet and GMC vehicles to five-year/60,000-mile coverage, up from the standard three-year/36,000-mile warranty. Cadillac and Buick buyers can boost their four-year/50,000-mile warranty to a six-year/70,000-mile plan. The approximate cost ranges between $1000 and $2000, depending on model. Like the original warranty, it's fully transferable to subsequent owners, covers everything under the original warranty, and has no new exclusions.

GM might be wise to provide warranty assurances to new C8 buyers given all the sweeping changes. This could be particularly beneficial when attracting new Corvette owners from the 35 to 50 age group who may use the vehicle for more then a weekend car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Absolutely horrible. I'd rather spend $200K for a nice rear end.
    Geeze, not to go PO but objectifying women seems out of character for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    Geeze, not to go PO but objectifying women seems out of character for you.

One second thought here an alternative from another mid-engine car company for comparison/discussion

photo rh_ferraripistauk-33.jpg
    Last edited by troutmd; 07-23-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    One second thought here an alternative from another mid-engine car company for comparison/discussion

That's a $350.000USD 488 Pista Ferrari. You could buy a half dozen 2020's for that price.

Side piont. Corvettes are not daily commuter cars. Most of the folks I've met drive them in good weather only. Never seen a C7 with snow tyres on them in these parts. As a fair weather vehicle and for under $60k you can't touch it. You can't even buy a used, high mileage 2008 Audi r8 for $60k USD.

You can not beat this deal. And.... -> Andy said it best. added for prosperity.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Having such large engine will limit its appeal regardless of how good rest of the car is. Many other marques have proven that displacement is no longer a necessity for power, just a cheap way of getting it with big trade-off in efficiency and fuel economy. I'd be far more impressed if GM had came up with a hybrid power package AND kept it under $60K.
    Itís a huge displacement but GM has had good luck with cylinder deactivation. I would expect this car to get 28-30 mpg on the hwy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a unique view to me, I've always felt forced-induction was the cheap way of gaining power. I understand the advantages of turbo/superchargers but still think many people, especially 'vette customers, still feel that there's 'no replacement for displacement'.
    I support both sentiments as the owner of multiple turbo volvos AND a 5.0 Mustang Cobra.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I've noticed. Something about Italians and quality rear ends. Maybe a cultural thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Side piont. Corvettes are not daily commuter cars. Most of the folks I've met drive them in good weather only. Never seen a C7 with snow tyres on them in these parts. As a fair weather vehicle and for under $60k you can't touch it.
    I live in an area where it gets cold and snowy during winter. I've seen Corvettes on the road in $#!tty condition (slush mixed with salt and dirt) many times.
    If not, this has been seen too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    New Vette looks like a great choice as a track tool. The styling is pretty bad, but the car seems to have ticked all the boxes to be a proper supercar at the track for a fraction of the price of what you had to pay to achieve it before. And yet more practical than a Caterham too. I would not buy this Vette just to look at in the garage, nor for sunday drives. I would buy it only to race against other supercars at the track.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    That's a $350.000USD 488 Pista Ferrari. You could buy a half dozen 2020's for that price.

Side piont. Corvettes are not daily commuter cars. Most of the folks I've met drive them in good weather only. Never seen a C7 with snow tyres on them in these parts. As a fair weather vehicle and for under $60k you can't touch it. You can't even buy a used, high mileage 2008 Audi r8 for $60k USD.

You can not beat this deal. And.... -> Andy said it best. added for prosperity.
    But the C8 does not come with the optional "Burst into flames on the side of the road" package

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    But the C8 does not come with the optional "Burst into flames on the side of the road" package
    When Italian design uses the under-stated "less is more" approach its far better then opposite as demonstrated by the 488 Pista.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post

I live in an area where it gets cold and snowy during winter. I've seen Corvettes on the road in $#!tty condition (slush mixed with salt and dirt) many times.
    Dunno. Have you seen a chunk of ice drop from an 18 wheeler in front of 3 inches of ground clearence? Or the 4 inches plus an hour snow fall with less than 3 inches of ground clearence. Okay, you have.

This shows that a Corvette can be driven in winters. I would not chance it, though.

Last edited by Eretz; 07-25-2019 at 03:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ^ "It's got a winter mode." Corvette designer must've known about the winter drivers. BTW, the streets where I saw Corvettes on $#!tty winter days, I've also seen Audi R8 (at least it's all wheel drive). Must be the regional thing.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Excellent read on why mid rear engine was GREAT idea

Back on topic.

Last edited by Eretz; 07-25-2019 at 02:12 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ^ No, it was on city street after the plow. Some slush build up along the side where they park the car. When there is that much ^ snow on the ground, they wait till the plow truck goes by.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nobody is buying a Corvette for fuel economy. But if they were, it's actually a class leader if you stay off the throttle. With cylinder deactivation and tall gearing, Corvettes are known to get 30mpg+ in highway cruising (notwithstanding official EPA numbers). Ferrari/Lambo types don't come anywhere close.

You can get big power out of small motors. Heck, group B cars were getting 600+hp out of 2 liter 4cyl engines as far back as the mid 1980s. More modern tuners have done 2,000hp out of 2 liters. But the trick is getting big power WITH track reliability and good driveability. It can be done, but not cheaply. Don't get me wrong, I love forced induction and own two performance cars with it, but there's a lot to be said about the simplicity and reliability of natural aspiration. The higher-output versions of this car (z06/zr1) will likely be turbocharged.

I'd also note that while the LS/LT motors have a lot of displacement, they are fairly physically compact and light weight. A fully-dressed 6 liter LS motor is only ~100lbs heavier than the aluminum block 2-liter in my Alfa Romeo, and you can fit an LS/LT in just about anything. That's partially a byproduct of the pushrod design, but the dry-sump oil system helps as well.

As for hybrids. I don't see the point. Again, nobody is buying these for fuel economy, and few are buying them as daily drivers. If you have unlimited budgets, hybrids can be used very effectively to boost performance, but there was absolutely no way Chevy was getting this under $60k with a hybrid. However, It wouldn't surprise me if z06/zr1 versions use some sort of flywheel based mild hybrid tech. The NSX which uses a smaller motor with a hybrid, is slower than the c8 and costs three times as much. Not a compelling package if you ask me.
    Last edited by nealric; 07-29-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast