• 07-19-2019
    SystemShock
    The New 2020 Corvette is Mid-Engine
  • 07-19-2019
    nova_rider
    Looks like any other mid-engine sports car. Kinda like all the new road racing bikes nowadays.
  • 07-19-2019
    Andy69
    A change of this magnitude was inevitable. The Corvette has always been the top of the line car in terms of performance at GM, but with other cars approaching the performance of the front engine Corvette, they had to up their game or their performance line would stagnate.

    Sure, it looks like many other mid engine supercars but the main difference is you can get into one for under $100k, plus you don't have some finicky high strung Italian or German thing to deal with, and you can get it serviced at the same place as your wife's minivan.

    It remains to be seen if they've tamed the handling, or if it's still like jumping on a tiger and stabbing it in the ass with a fork.

    But on the other hand, anyone who can drive a Z06 fast without crashing has mad skills. Anyone who can drive an R8 fast with all the fancy electronic driver aids, not so much.
  • 07-19-2019
    nealric
    The fact that this will start at around $60k is astonishing. I can't see a compelling reason to buy any other two seat sports car priced between $200k and $60k unless you absolutely must have a manual transmission.

    GM knocked it out of the park in my book.
  • 07-19-2019
    nOOky
    I like it. It does seem to me that it's no longer a car any working man can see himself saving for and driving anymore though.
  • 07-19-2019
    nealric
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I like it. It does seem to me that it's no longer a car any working man can see himself saving for and driving anymore though.

    A Corvette cost $25k new in 1985, or $60k in 2019 dollars. Incidentally, that's exactly what this one costs. So if it's not a working man's car, it hasn't been for a very long time.
  • 07-19-2019
    Andy69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The fact that this will start at around $60k is astonishing. I can't see a compelling reason to buy any other two seat sports car priced between $200k and $60k unless you absolutely must have a manual transmission.

    GM knocked it out of the park in my book.

    And now with the new layout there are all kinds of performance possibilities. Watch for an AWD hybrid version.
  • 07-19-2019
    bvber
    1 Attachment(s)
    :nonod: Ugly rear end, compared to previous Corvettes.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325529&stc=1
  • 07-19-2019
    No Time Toulouse
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    :nonod: Ugly rear end, compared to previous Corvettes.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325529&stc=1

    Looks like the rear end of a Civic...
  • 07-19-2019
    troutmd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The fact that this will start at around $60k is astonishing. I can't see a compelling reason to buy any other two seat sports car priced between $200k and $60k unless you absolutely must have a manual transmission.

    GM knocked it out of the park in my book.

    Agree --- need to visit a dealer soon and see (the new technology including a reported Prosche PDK type paddle-shifting trans) for myself. The right silver could be stunning and set the C8 vette apart from the oh-so-common mid-engine Ferrari clone wannabe red.
  • 07-19-2019
    Srode
    When they up the Engine output in the future it's got the potential to be a real Ferrari / Mclaren killer. Right now it's a bit under powered for that crowd, but still an exceptional value by comparison. From what I've seen of the interior it's an awesome layout. I'm not a big fan of the rear end, but it's awesome looking on the front and sides (I don't like the C7 vette rearends either).

    Can't wait to hear how it does on the track compared to its European competition. If they built it with the controls Ferrari has had since the mid 2000s, it's going to be a car the average guy can make go really fast on the track without crashing.

    They screwed up calling it a Corvette though - dumping that muscle car baggage would have given this car a real chance to compete in the real sports car market. Having this in your garage or driveway is never going to be nearly as cool as owning a Ferrari, and that name has something to do with it. Being able to get more HP than displacement from a naturally aspirated motor helps the cool factor for the Ferrari in my book too.
  • 07-19-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Looks like the rear end of a Civic...

    Easy there, you never know if there is a CTR owner lurking about here ;)
  • 07-19-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    ...They screwed up calling it a Corvette though - dumping that muscle car baggage would have given this car a real chance to compete in the real sports car market. Having this in your garage or driveway is never going to be nearly as cool as owning a Ferrari, and that name has something to do with it. Being able to get more HP than displacement from a naturally aspirated motor helps the cool factor for the Ferrari in my book too.

    GM Trademarks Zora Name For Mid-Engine Corvette | GM Authority
  • 07-19-2019
    GirchyGirchy
    The last several Corvettes have been mid-engined, too.
  • 07-19-2019
    nealric
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    :nonod: Ugly rear end, compared to previous Corvettes.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325529&stc=1

    The biggest problem is the wing. Take a look at the rear with either the high lift wing or none - it looks a lot better.
  • 07-19-2019
    Marc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Looks like the rear end of a Civic...

    I had the exact same thought.

    Have a neighbor with a new Civic.
  • 07-19-2019
    nova_rider
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    The biggest problem is the wing. Take a look at the rear with either the high lift wing or none - it looks a lot better.

    Never mind the wing, the entire rear end just looks a bit too busy.
  • 07-19-2019
    ljvb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    When they up the Engine output in the future it's got the potential to be a real Ferrari / Mclaren killer. Right now it's a bit under powered for that crowd, but still an exceptional value by comparison. From what I've seen of the interior it's an awesome layout. I'm not a big fan of the rear end, but it's awesome looking on the front and sides (I don't like the C7 vette rearends either).

    Can't wait to hear how it does on the track compared to its European competition. If they built it with the controls Ferrari has had since the mid 2000s, it's going to be a car the average guy can make go really fast on the track without crashing.

    They screwed up calling it a Corvette though - dumping that muscle car baggage would have given this car a real chance to compete in the real sports car market. Having this in your garage or driveway is never going to be nearly as cool as owning a Ferrari, and that name has something to do with it. Being able to get more HP than displacement from a naturally aspirated motor helps the cool factor for the Ferrari in my book too.

    Not really. The people who spend 200k on Ferraris and Porsches and McLarens don't shop for Corvettes, regardless of the performance.

    Obviously there might be outliers, but in general, this will be the every mans sports car that can keep up.
  • 07-19-2019
    redondoaveb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    When they up the Engine output in the future it's got the potential to be a real Ferrari / Mclaren killer. Right now it's a bit under powered for that crowd, but still an exceptional value by comparison. From what I've seen of the interior it's an awesome layout. I'm not a big fan of the rear end, but it's awesome looking on the front and sides (I don't like the C7 vette rearends either).

    Can't wait to hear how it does on the track compared to its European competition. If they built it with the controls Ferrari has had since the mid 2000s, it's going to be a car the average guy can make go really fast on the track without crashing.

    They screwed up calling it a Corvette though - dumping that muscle car baggage would have given this car a real chance to compete in the real sports car market. Having this in your garage or driveway is never going to be nearly as cool as owning a Ferrari, and that name has something to do with it. Being able to get more HP than displacement from a naturally aspirated motor helps the cool factor for the Ferrari in my book too.

    0 - 60 in under 3 seconds. That's C7 ZR1 numbers. It may seems underpowered by looking at the hp numbers but it performs.
  • 07-19-2019
    Andy69
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    The last several Corvettes have been mid-engined, too.

    so is my Caterham.
  • 07-19-2019
    nOOky
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    A Corvette cost $25k new in 1985, or $60k in 2019 dollars. Incidentally, that's exactly what this one costs. So if it's not a working man's car, it hasn't been for a very long time.

    Cool I didn't know the price on the new one. Still a bit high for me at my stage in life, but not bad if you're really an enthusiast.
  • 07-19-2019
    redondoaveb
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    A change of this magnitude was inevitable. The Corvette has always been the top of the line car in terms of performance at GM, but with other cars approaching the performance of the front engine Corvette, they had to up their game or their performance line would stagnate.

    Sure, it looks like many other mid engine supercars but the main difference is you can get into one for under $100k, plus you don't have some finicky high strung Italian or German thing to deal with, and you can get it serviced at the same place as your wife's minivan.

    It remains to be seen if they've tamed the handling, or if it's still like jumping on a tiger and stabbing it in the ass with a fork.

    But on the other hand, anyone who can drive a Z06 fast without crashing has mad skills. Anyone who can drive an R8 fast with all the fancy electronic driver aids, not so much.

    A buddy has a 2015 Z06 with the Z07 package and it's easy to drive fast compared to my 658whp 370Z.
  • 07-19-2019
    bvber
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Looks like the rear end of a Civic...

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I had the exact same thought.

    Have a neighbor with a new Civic.

    :shocked: I think Honda Civic is deeply offended to be equated with the rear end of this Corvette.

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325535&stc=1
  • 07-19-2019
    bvber
    1 Attachment(s)
    I think Chevrolet just recycled the 2016-18 Camaro rear design for this Corvette. Cutting corner I guess...

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325537&stc=1

    https://forums.roadbikereview.com/at...d=325539&stc=1
  • 07-19-2019
    SystemShock
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    The last several Corvettes have been mid-engined, too.

    'Front mid-engined', not rear mid-engined like this one.

    aka pretty different.

    .