New Corvette - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Corvette

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Looks more like an early Stingray than any other Vette in the last 30 years. Dig the stingray badge and the interior looks promising.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I've always liked Corvettes and this new one looks great too. 60000 bucks for a car that looks like that? That's pretty darn good. I've never driven a Vette and heard about the useless suspension and all that stuff, but purely on austhetics and relatively low price, it's not bad.

Not sure I could ever buy one though. I'm a European Snob afterall.

your text here
    oh, i hope it has the fake engine window...

to me, the corvette is bleh. it reminds me of old, balding men thinking they can pick up younger women. they would buy a porche or 944 928 if they could.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    How about a toned down verson with 4 doors?

Destino-Karma-V8-1-545x300.jpg

Master debator.
    I think it will carry on the tradition of being a mid-life crisis car that spends the majority of it's life being driven close to the posted speed limit and washed every Sunday versus being really driven. Too bad...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I think it will carry on the tradition of being a mid-life crisis car that spends the majority of it's life being driven close to the posted speed limit and washed every Sunday versus being really driven. Too bad...
    I think your right. That's the problem with the corvette. The typical costumer doesn't care about cutting edge handling or power or quality for the most part. They just want to be seen driving one around.

banned
    Jan 2011

The problem is with cars like the Corvette or any other really high performance car is you can only really drive them on the track and not everyone has access to a track. Having driven the various Corvettes and plenty of other high performance cars is that they tend to be as much fun as you would think IMO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    I think your right. That's the problem with the corvette. The typical costumer doesn't care about cutting edge handling or power or quality for the most part. They just want to be seen driving one around.
    Umm, you can say that about pretty much any car with a price point north of $50k. How many Porches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc... do you see driven in anger? Sure, Porsche has a good share of owners who do track days, but most of these cars are owned by older people who use their car to show off the $$$ they have.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    To me it's senseless to reiterate the old adage of anything as being mid-life crisis. When you're a teenage [young adolescence] you have very limited income and tons of dreams of owning some very cool stuff. Somehow, you waiver through early teens just in awe of stuff you could never even think about owning.

You go to college or trade school or work your way up in an industry or retail/sales and land a rust bucket. You still dream about those cars, boats and trucks you saw as a child.

Then you marry, maybe not, but there is a whole slew of sh!t that you're obliged to acquire, manage and control ...none of them are dreams of cars, boats or trucks you drooled on as a child.

Then after your children make their way on their own, weddings, college, their first homes and maybe grandchildren you get a bunch of idiots calling you all kinds of names because you've worked really fawkin hard for something you've thought about since 10 years old.

And there's your Corvette, or 60 foot sloop or monster truck. And you're old. But it took a lot of fawkin' sweat and work and concentration to obtain a goal that was almost lost and gone so many times. Here it is, yours, a dream from your childhood, earned and now reality.

So I don't buy into the whole "mid-life" anything. It takes you half your life to get to a place where you can actually afford this sh!t.

Enjoy it when you can.

Master debator.
    The mid-life crisis thing isn't about the money to me. It's about getting old and realizing it, and buying things to compensate to make yourself feel young again. Much like some, if not many, men ditch the faithful wife because she is no longer young and slim, and using their money and new Corvette to attract a 25 year old that digs a father figure.
    That's what I think of when I think mid-life crisis, along with coloring the hair, trying to act 20 again, and buying a Harley. YMMV.
    You may disagree, but I know a boatload of men that fit that description. A lot of them are probably out at a college bar right now

FWIW I dream of owning the new NSX, have wanted one since I drove one back in 1994.
    Last edited by nOOky; 01-15-2013 at 05:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    Umm, you can say that about pretty much any car with a price point north of $50k. How many Porches, Ferraris, Lambos, etc... do you see driven in anger? Sure, Porsche has a good share of owners who do track days, but most of these cars are owned by older people who use their car to show off the $$$ they have.
    True you really can't use all of the car on a public road. But I think that Porche, Ferrari, and Lambo drivers expect a higher level of refinement in the car then your average Vette driver. If you look at European cars at any price range you see that compared to the average American driver.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    The mid-life crisis thing isn't about the money to me. It's about getting old and realizing it, and buying things to compensate to make yourself feel young again.
    How can you feel young again buying a SuperSix and riding 9,000 miles a year on it. That sh!t hurts but you do it because you love the sport of cycling. And you have the time to do it now. Your kilometrage may vary.

Much like some, if not many, men ditch the faithful wife because she is no longer young and slim, and using their money and new Corvette to attract a 25 year old that digs a father figure.
    I'm just not there on this conversation. Lumping men into a category as cheating spouses with hair pieces buying sports cars must be an American thing. I never understand labels.

I had a sh!t load of money at a rather young age from a lot of really hard work and some good investments all on my own. Good heavens it wasn't in Oklahoma. I could only image what I would have been coined. [no pun intended]

To think that we'll generalise most people who drive sports cars are trading in pantyhose like pink slips at an illegal stretch of desert road as common play.

Obscured.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    So I don't buy into the whole "mid-life" anything. It takes you half your life to get to a place where you can actually afford this sh!t.

Enjoy it when you can.
    That's why I like motorcycles over cars for performance. I am really glad I got a 955cc sport bike when I was 25. I did the track day thing with it. Road it like my hair was on fire in the street and ran form the cops. I got to do all the stuff your way to smart to do when you get older. And surprisingly got away without ever getting hurt.

Master debator.
    How can you feel young again buying a SuperSix and riding 9,000 miles a year on it. That sh!t hurts but you do it because you love the sport of cycling. And you have the time to do it now. Your kilometrage may vary.

I'm just not there on this conversation. Lumping men into a category as cheating spouses with hair pieces buying sports cars must be an American thing. I never understand labels.

I had a sh!t load of money at a rather young age from a lot of really hard work and some good investments all on my own. Good heavens it wasn't in Oklahoma. I could only image what I would have been coined. [no pun intended]

To think that we'll generalise most people who drive sports cars are trading in pantyhose like pink slips at an illegal stretch of desert road as common play.

Obscured.
    It may be an American thing. Many stereotypes are actually rooted in truth. Are you doubting the fact that what I am saying actually happens? I must be the only person in America that has ever seen a mid-life crisis in action then... I know it sounds like "labeling" to you, but the fact is that it happens quite a bit. The Corvette is ofen referred to as a mid-life crisis car, much as the Harley Davidson is considered a mid-life crisis purchase, yadda yadda. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it ain't factual.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Nothing wrong with a mid-life crisis, it's your taste in toys that might be questionable

Life Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Nothing wrong with a mid-life crisis, it's your taste in toys that might be questionable
    Midlife crisis? What midlife crisis?
    IMG_0144.jpg

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully00 View Post
    Midlife crisis? What midlife crisis?
    Yup, here's mine

No young chicks, they just add weight

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Yup, here's mine

No young chicks, they just add weight

I'd love to experience the G-Force in that thing. I could only envision a 33" inseam pole danser thrust in her apex.

Serious note. Lovely colour. Love that mobile.

All win.

Dirty olde man.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I've had a Corvette I bought new and a 911 C4S I bought used. i dont think anyone compares the two because the new 911s are now so expensive (120k for a nice 911S) :0

I am interested in the new Corvette.To me the Corvette with the targa top, auto trans and all kinds of power right off of idle is hard to beat. The 911 really had to be wound up...not many people dump the clutch in those a 5,000 rpms.

I am really disappointed in those taillights! All Corvettes should have 4 round taillights!
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

Satanic Watch Winder

And there's your Corvette,..... And you're old. But it took a lot of fawkin' sweat and work and concentration to obtain a goal that was almost lost and gone so many times. Here it is, yours, a dream from your childhood, earned and now reality.
    And after all that sacrifice, they offer you a car with styling the succeeds only in attracting attention to itself. Screw it! Go find that 1967 fastback with the 427/425, factory knock-offs and side mount exhaust.

banned
    Jan 2011

Dirty olde man.
    I resemble that remark!! Well actually at 41 I guess that puts me on the cusp. Interestingly, most of the other folks I know who own this kind of car are in their 60's

Sadly the car doesn't seem to attract hot woman (kids love it though), so it's a good thing I am still married, but she won't ride in it anymore as she puked the first time I took her out in it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    True you really can't use all of the car on a public road. But I think that Porche, Ferrari, and Lambo drivers expect a higher level of refinement in the car then your average Vette driver. If you look at European cars at any price range you see that compared to the average American driver.
    Ferrari and Lambo are refined? Umm, maybe with the latest generation of cars they're getting there. If anything both of those makes were known for being rather crude just 15 years ago with build qualities and durability that paled in comparison to the Vette. But they're handcrafted by Giuseppe in Italy using outdated modes of manufacturing, so they have to be expensive, and since they're expensive, they must be great.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    Ferrari and Lambo are refined? Umm, maybe with the latest generation of cars they're getting there. If anything both of those makes were known for being rather crude just 15 years ago with build qualities and durability that paled in comparison to the Vette. But they're handcrafted by Giuseppe in Italy using outdated modes of manufacturing, so they have to be expensive, and since they're expensive, they must be great.

Don't confuse durability/reliabilty with craftsmanship and refinement, they are not the same

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by oily666 View Post
    And after all that sacrifice, they offer you a car with styling the succeeds only in attracting attention to itself. Screw it! Go find that 1967 fastback with the 427/425, factory knock-offs and side mount exhaust.
    That's actually my favourite engine [aluminum heads and radiator straps] L89 and model year for a corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Million
    At their Bloomington Gold Corvette Auction, Mecum Auction, Inc. offered this Goodwood Green L89 and it reached a top bid of $550,000 USD. It was personally ordered by Ed Cole for Mr. R.H. Pohl. Mecum describe the car:

I resemble that remark!!
    I'm a couple years ahead of you. From everything I've read about your car, it's like driving an F1. I could only image after seeing Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson having a thrill at the wheel what it's like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Don't confuse durability/reliabilty with craftsmanship and refinement, they are not the same
    Usually durability and reliability are the result of craftsmanship and refinement. Isn't that the whole point of being a craftsman? To build a quality product? Ferraris and Lambos are mythical cars because so few are built and they're so expensive to buy, that no one actually drives them to discover how crude they really were. Again, I'm not talking about the latest and greatest (VW has done wonders for Lambo and Ferrari has been forced to keep up), but cars like the Diablo, 348 and Testarossa were not refined. This is turning into a Timex vs Seiko vs Rolex argument. LOL I'm not saying I wouldn't buy a Ferrari or Lambo if I had the cash, I certainly would, but I don't think they're that special compared to the Vette. The problem with the Vette is that you can buy it at the same dealer that sells trucks and Malibus and Impalas and there are a lot of people who discredit the Vette because of that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast