New Corvette
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Corvette

RoadBikeReview Member

New Corvette

This showed up on the news feed on my phone last night. I didn't know Chevy was working on a new corvette. I have never liked corvette every time I look at them I see the old 70s cars. I can't say I really like any of the American sports cars. When you compare them to the the European cars like Porsche, Ferrari, lotus and Mclaren they are always 3 steps behind. But I have to say This might change my mind.

001-2014-chevrolet-corvette-opt.jpg

Too slow to be smart
    Sep 2012
    I've seen a few pictures of newer concepts but never this one. This car though, may rev my engine. If only I had something like a real job...
    ”Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong” - Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I would like to see the interior. That's the weakness of the current model. $50,000+ car with an interior that isn't even up to the standards of a $12,000 Honda.
    Last edited by MPov; 01-14-2013 at 11:59 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not just a redesign of the sheet metal either. They've cut the weight by about 300lbs and increased the base engine output to around 440hp. The first redesign of the Vette in 10 years, I think they got it right. Base price is around $60k. Coming out in fall of this year.
    - Character is what you are in the Dark - Dwight L Moody & Dr Emilio Lizardo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 67caddy View Post
    Not just a redesign of the sheet metal either. They've cut the weight by about 300lbs and increased the base engine output to around 440hp. The first redesign of the Vette in 10 years, I think they got it right. Base price is around $60k. Coming out in fall of this year.
    I just hope it doesn't suck. As a car guy I really want to love the Vette. The US auto makers have always been a let down for me. Every time they do something that looks like its going to be cool. It gets lost in production stemware.

Failboat Captian
    I agree with everyone here, including MPov. Chevy interiors (and other American cars) are their fatal flaw. And the fact that they have gone this long without improving them says something to me about the company and what they think of their customers. I wonder if this Corvette will have more of the blue dot displays that have been around since before my 1995 Blazer.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Here are more pics including the interior.

GM shows off stylish new 2014 Corvette - Bowling Green Daily News: Home:

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spiffy look. I like it, though the sharper edges suggest it looking faster than it may actually be - not that 450hp is terrible by any stretch, just looks like there's more behind it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I liked everything but the back end of the car. Reminds me too much of the Camaro.

Overall, I'm impressed with the looks. I wonder how it drives. Might have to head to the Chicago Auto Show to get a better look. I believe that show is coming up soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the new look! The interior has always been crap and GM finally improved it enough to give the Euro cars a run for the money and finally get higher sales outside the US.
    Now I really want one if the reviews are good and might be able to convince the wife I need one to fulfill my mid life crisis. a 67' is too much money and I think I would go for this over a 69-71 model for less money.

xTqPVh.jpg
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    I agree with everyone here, including MPov. Chevy interiors (and other American cars) are their fatal flaw. And the fact that they have gone this long without improving them says something to me about the company and what they think of their customers. I wonder if this Corvette will have more of the blue dot displays that have been around since before my 1995 Blazer.

Actually there have been a lot of improvements to the C6 Corvette over the years. The last iteration of the C6 was pretty darn good, specifically the Z06/ZR1.

It's also not that unusual for a sportscar to go this long without a complete redesign. For comparison the C6 went 9 years, The Lamborghini Murcielago went 9 years, the Porsche 997 went 8 years

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Actually there have been a lot of improvements to the C6 Corvette over the years. The last iteration of the C6 was pretty darn good, specifically the Z06/ZR1.

It's also not that unusual for a sportscar to go this long without a complete redesign. For comparison the C6 went 9 years, The Lamborghini Murcielago went 9 years, the Porsche 997 went 8 years
    I remember reading the diehard Vette boards on the C6 "exposed" front head lighting vs the pop ups on the C5 back in 2004. Although the Corvette is going the way of major earth shaking european designers, what keeps a buyer interested in purchasing the Vette is its engine. The V8 and manual tranny with rear wheel drive is just pure Americano-iron. I've always thought the Vette was a super deal for the price. As the base price gets pushed up toward the $100,000 plus category ...it becomes less appealing.

The overall design an handling it remarkable though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just read the '14 makes 400 ft/lbs at 2k rpm. The Lambo makes about half that and doesn't make 400 till about 4500rpm.

The reporters comment was 'Merrica!
    You. You are the frame pump noob.
    ----Creakyknees

then I did it and crawled into bed with my gf and that aspect alone changed EVERYTHING. It felt soooo good
    ----Ghost234

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Personally I love the Vette, specially this new one. A car with this much performance for 60K. Can't touch a Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or a base model 911 for anywhere close. The interior has always been a shortcoming of the Vette but the performance over the current generation and hopefully this upcoming gen is comparable if not better than cars from Germany or Italy costing 30K+ more.
    Would I rather have one of the others? Sure. I'd take an Aston Martin any day. But if you don't have 100K+ burning a hole in your pocket the Corvette is a good choice.
    just my opinion

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbogolf View Post
    Personally I love the Vette, specially this new one. A car with this much performance for 60K. Can't touch a Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, or a base model 911 for anywhere close. The interior has always been a shortcoming of the Vette but the performance over the current generation and hopefully this upcoming gen is comparable if not better than cars from Germany or Italy costing 30K+ more.
    Would I rather have one of the others? Sure. I'd take an Aston Martin any day. But if you don't have 100K+ burning a hole in your pocket the Corvette is a good choice.
    just my opinion
    As someone that will never have the money for a new Vette I love the what if argument. Im the kind of car guy that wants handling over all other parts of the car. If I had 60k to spend on a car in the past I would almost always say a used 911. To me the vette was always the more money then brains car or the midlife crises car. I want this car to change that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    you really have to drive it for an hour or two to fully evaluate the cockpit and seats.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbogolf View Post
    just my opinion
    This. Get the Vette and spend some on upgrades and you've got a bad a$$ car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As others have noted, the interior has always, and will always, be the downfall of all GM products. The sheet metal may be gorgeous, the engine may have all sorts of trickle down tech...but [email protected] damn!t... Chevy has a lot of plastic bin parts left over, and guess what? You're getting a center console and buttons from the Aveo or Blazer or whatever else they fish out, whether you like it or not. De contended, bland, gaudy, or downright offensive interior styling seems par for course. It should be noted that those already driving Chevy cars will probably not understand where I'm coming from, partly because 70% of this cockpit will be very familiar:

Sad to see so many promising designs go the way of the dodo, because of the parts bin bean counters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineflyer View Post
    you really have to drive it for an hour or two to fully evaluate the cockpit and seats.
    Not that I've ever driven one, but sitting in the cockpit I did get the impression it's very engaging. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a positive experience regardless of finish.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I don't know what the body is made out of but if the previous Corvettes are any indication, we should be talking about the Sheet Plastic/Fiberglass, not the Sheet Metal. As far as the styling goes, I hate to say it but the vehicle looks pretty generic. The previous iterations of the marque had more distinctiveness, and more aesthetic impact, as well.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Darling of The Lounge
    As for the new styling, put me in the not impressed category.

The rear quarter appears to be lifted off a Nissan GTR. The back looks like the designers just gave up and grafted a Camaro's ass-end to it. I guess I'm from the old skool crowd that goes for a more rounded than angular looking sportscar.

At least it's lighter with more base power. All the better for a mid-life crisis, comb-over dentist to wrap it around a tree with.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    All the better for a mid-life crisis, comb-over dentist to wrap it around a tree with.
    Oddly and remarkably, that description could have been my father when he got a new Corvette back in 1958. Yeah, he still had a full head of hair at that time, but the description does fit fairly well. Dad always complained about the miserable workmanship and the awful brakes (at that time all drum). He kept it until 1962 when he traded it in on one of the first E Type Jaguars to make it to Southern California. Me, my sister and my dad all agreed that the Jag was a helluva a lot more car than the Vette. It was the first of five E Types that my dad bought over the next ten years, dad getting rid of them at the two year mark, long before they'd start giving him trouble. Then he got a 350 SL Mercedes...which lasted a good fifteen years.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt View Post
    This. Get the Vette and spend some on upgrades and you've got a bad a$$ car.
    Yea but then you would have what has to be the butt ugly car of the litter. I would take any year 911 over that.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I don't know what the body is made out of but if the previous Corvettes are any indication, we should be talking about the Sheet Plastic/Fiberglass, not the Sheet Metal. As far as the styling goes, I hate to say it but the vehicle looks pretty generic. The previous iterations of the marque had more distinctiveness, and more aesthetic impact, as well.
    And it looks like a mish-mash of ideas. Corvette styling with a Nissan rear end. Or something.

Interior is dreadful.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    i don't know what the body is made out of but if the previous corvettes are any indication, we should be talking about the sheet plastic/fiberglass, not the sheet metal. As far as the styling goes, i hate to say it but the vehicle looks pretty generic. The previous iterations of the marque had more distinctiveness, and more aesthetic impact, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014
    ....thenew corvette's body continues to be made from exotic composite materials, but uses more lighter-weight carbon fiber, same as in race cars, to trim weight from the top and the front of the car, for better handling and greater stability. The roof panel, for example, drops to about 13 lbs. From about 20 lbs. On the c6.Corvette celebrates 60th with stunning makeover
    The biggest hurdle of modern sports car designs are ...perhaps the cost verse mandated safety. Let's face it, all of us have been exposed to so many "sleek" designs over the decades that it's almost impossible to be stuck down by anything "original." The head lights off the C7 look like a stretched out version found on the Mk6 Golf GTI. The sad reality remains that in order to obtain some furious high speeds the wind tunnel will dictate so much of what has already been manufactured.

As for the interior? Who cared about the interior of a vette to begin with back in the days. It was called sleek. Deep embedded instrumentation almost impossible to read, a hood so long you'd pay real estate tax in another country while parked and enough glove box to store couple hundred moving violations while out getting a six-pack of Bud.

I will always think that the Corvette will have a major following. It's one of the few vehicles that can reach well above 160mph while getting its parts from your local Napa.

The Vette is really a rural American, our every day one.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast