NNC: Dumb injury leads to other injury
    Schuylkill Trail Bum

Warning: Dumbly long post about something which I'm 110% certain none of you remotely care about. Nor will you be enchanted or informed or educated by reading it.

Exactly a week ago, I busted my big toe on my right foot.

I was stomping down my recycling in the cans which were overflowing with the remains of a July 4 party.

We have single stream recycling so we use two 32 gallon cans. As I was stomping in one of the cans, the can tilted and I was unable to grab onto the garage door track like I usually do in that situation.

So down I go to the concrete garage floor. My full weight, which is not inconsiderable, came down on my big toe and the place on the side where it attaches to my foot. Even through shoes, it was pretty much un-walk-onable from that point until about 4 days later.

As I was making up for my sore foot by using my left leg more, the iliotibial band on my left leg, which has had cycling-related ITBS before -- before I finally FINALLY got my left cleat, seat height & position, and handlebars set up correctly for my left leg -- ... my left ITBS kicked in again.

No biggie, I thought. It was just a wee bit of the old ITBS, nothing to be scared about.

I was wrong. During those toe-hurt days, I was left-legging it around BJ's, the grocery store, Lowes, and working the clutch in my 6-spd manual GTI like Mario Andretti on steroids. Couple a days ago, my ITB started screaming at me.

Now my toe is definitely healed enough for me to get back on my bike, and it's supposed to be perfect riding weather this weekend... but my left ITB hurts so much when I bend my knee, I have to walk with my leg straight, like a pegleg pirate.

The damb thing hurts so bad, even with Advil and ice, it wakes me up at night if I turn over in bed the wrong way.

I know all the PT for ITBS, and the routine treatment... all of which I'm doing.

But I'm PO'd off.

That is all.

Thanks for listening.

I'll post a link to my gofundme site in a while. My goal is $75,000. I know I can count on you lounjers.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Warning: Dumbly long post about something which I'm 110% certain none of you remotely care about. Nor will you be enchanted or informed or educated by reading it.

Exactly a week ago, I busted my big toe on my right foot.

I was stomping down my recycling in the cans which were overflowing with the remains of a July 4 party.

We have single stream recycling so we use two 32 gallon cans. As I was stomping in one of the cans, the can tilted and I was unable to grab onto the garage door track like I usually do in that situation.

So down I go to the concrete garage floor. My full weight, which is not inconsiderable, came down on my big toe and the place on the side where it attaches to my foot. Even through shoes, it was pretty much un-walk-onable from that point until about 4 days later.

As I was making up for my sore foot by using my left leg more, the iliotibial band on my left leg, which has had cycling-related ITBS before -- before I finally FINALLY got my left cleat, seat height & position, and handlebars set up correctly for my left leg -- ... my left ITBS kicked in again.

No biggie, I thought. It was just a wee bit of the old ITBS, nothing to be scared about.

I was wrong. During those toe-hurt days, I was left-legging it around BJ's, the grocery store, Lowes, and working the clutch in my 6-spd manual GTI like Mario Andretti on steroids. Couple a days ago, my ITB started screaming at me.

Now my toe is definitely healed enough for me to get back on my bike, and it's supposed to be perfect riding weather this weekend... but my left ITB hurts so much when I bend my knee, I have to walk with my leg straight, like a pegleg pirate.

The damb thing hurts so bad, even with Advil and ice, it wakes me up at night if I turn over in bed the wrong way.

I know all the PT for ITBS, and the routine treatment... all of which I'm doing.

But I'm PO'd off.

That is all.

Thanks for listening.

I'll post a link to my gofundme site in a while. My goal is $75,000. I know I can count on you lounjers.
    I feel your pain... literally. I'm nursing a right shin that got crushed when the folding stool I was sitting on suddenly collapsed with no warning. The shin got scissored between the metal legs of the stool and my body weight provided the force. Stupid s#it.

I plan on donating $.38 to your gofundme site once it's up. Don't bother... you're welcome.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I feel your pain... literally. I'm nursing a right shin that got crushed when the folding stool I was sitting on suddenly collapsed with no warning. The shin got scissored between the metal legs of the stool and my body weight provided the force. Stupid s#it.

I plan on donating $.38 to your gofundme site once it's up. Don't bother... you're welcome.
    Thanks. I hope you heal quickly.

Make it an even 40 cents and I'll send you my ace bandage when I'm finished with it. For a buck, I'll autograph it.

What the what???

Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Thanks. I hope you heal quickly.

Make it an even 40 cents and I'll send you my ace bandage when I'm finished with it. For a buck, I'll autograph it.
    Damn, thatís the Deal of the Day! Iím in. You canít buy used ace bandages anymore. Stoopid tariffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The ending made the story!

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The ending made the story!
    Thanks Peter.

Are you the Peter who donated $3000.00 on my gofundme page? If so, thanks & tell all your friends!

Frog Whisperer
    I had 3 or 4 heat strokes yesterday, but I got better
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hope you heal up soon ITBS. Toe injuries are no joke. Tales say Jack Daniels died from a stubbed toe injury.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    Hope you heal up soon ITBS. Toe injuries are no joke. Tales say Jack Daniels died from a stubbed toe injury.
    Thanks. I'm taking it easy on it. Part of the problem is that I was taking advil, which is great for dulling pain, so I didn't realize that I was aggravating it by going about my normal walking and step climbing routines for a couple of days. It wasn't until I woke up in intense hollering pain at 3 AM from twisting my knee when turning over in my sleep that I realized how injured it is.

That is a Jack Daniels fact, according to wikipedia. Busted toes are no joke. I've broken my little toes before. But not the big one. Fortunately, there was no displacement of the bone and no broken skin.

What the what???
    Is it wrong that I keep reading ITBS and thinking you have an irritable bowel??? Which, of course, would also be problematic on a long bike ride...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Is it wrong that I keep reading ITBS and thinking you have an irritable bowel??? Which, of course, would also be problematic on a long bike ride...
    Heh. I've had some DEFCON One situations on long rides before.

I never resorted to going in the bushes, but I left a restroom or two at Valley Forge National Park unfit for human habitation until the air cleared. I've also had occasion to dismount and cross my legs for a few minutes when there are no restrooms nearby, which is suboptimal but better than the alternative.

TMI, I know.

Note to self: Put a few imodium tablets in my tool kit. Silently thank Opus51569 if I ever need to take them.

PS: I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Opus51569 again.