NNC: Freddest thing ever? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I'm sorry, but this thread has drifted, or maybe been hi-jacked, and we're much more interested in your bell than we are in your annoyance in some knuckleheads choice of music and speaker system used to listen to said choice.
    Forget it, Jake. It's Loungetown. Which is like Chinatown, but different.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    OP here. I also have a Knog Oi. But I met speaker boy out on the road, not on a MUT, and not under circumstances where anyone needed to continuously announce themselves like some kind of disco ice cream truck. It just seemed like he couldn’t bear to go anywhere w/o his tinny pop music. I'd have respected him more if it was something intense: Wagner, Marylin Manson, whatever. But no.
    Zamfir?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I'm sorry, but this thread has drifted, or maybe been hi-jacked, and we're much more interested in your bell than we are in your annoyance in some knuckleheads choice of music and speaker system used to listen to said choice.
    I see that you are correct. This being the case, my bell saves me 5.73 watts bc it is aero. Also, while previous bell bent my handlebars under its weight, the problem w/this one is that my front wheel keeps floating off the ground. I have to lean so far forward that I can't see where I'm going, and so I ring the bell incessantly to warn people. My LBS is going to modify it to play "Close to You".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Saw/heard one of these in action today, hanging from somebody's (an adult, no less) handlebars as he rode.

https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+CLIP+3.html

I'm not up on 21st century genres, but I would have called what he was playing "Insipid Dance Music." Thankfully our routes diverged.

Didn't know this was a thing, but upon researching I find there a several competing products in the category. Ignorance was bliss.
    I'm going to go with.. EDM/EBM genre.. an acquired taste.. I veer more towards angry Industrial.. or Heavy Metal.. angry music makes you pedal harder

Frog Whisperer
    occasionally I will put my bluetooth speakers into my bottle cage and listen to Pandora or spotify when riding , but only on rural roads and only when riding solo. And when I say occasionally, I mean like once every 2 years or so.

I steer as clear as I can of MUT's, I like the solitude of riding country roads and not seeing traffic or people!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'd have respected him more if it was something intense: Wagner, Marylin Manson, whatever. But no.
    Was he listening to Britney Spears?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I steer as clear as I can of MUT's, I like the solitude of riding country roads and not seeing traffic or people!
    Yeah, but city dwellers don't have such choice.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I see that you are correct. This being the case, my bell saves me 5.73 watts bc it is aero. ....
    On my road bike, I figure that I can yell louder and quicker than any bell, so I don't bother. I'm also quick with useful critiques (like, "Hey Grandpa, can't you ride a straight line?"....), so I'm 100% certain that a bell would be a step down in safety.

You can now award me the.....(drumroll, please...).....No-Bell Prize!!!!!

Thank you, thank you....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    On my road bike, I figure that I can yell louder and quicker than any bell, so I don't bother. I'm also quick with useful critiques (like, "Hey Grandpa, can't you ride a straight line?"....), so I'm 100% certain that a bell would be a step down in safety.

Thank you, thank you....
    For years I did that.

But one situation where the bell works whereas yelling does not: squirrels. When the leaves start falling, and there's a slight chill in the air, and also many other times of the year... seemingly suicidal squirrels play chicken with me on my favorite MUT out around Valley Forge, PA.

For some reason, which I don't dare question, squirrels take off into the bush when they hear a bell. When I used to try yelling at them... Hey! Hey! (squirrels don't understand the concept of On Your Left, similar to many other MUT users)... I sounded nuts and squirrels ran toward the sound of my voice.

I ran over a squirrel one time. Avoided it with my front wheel, rolled over it with my back wheel. Tried to find it in the bush, to see if it was injured and needed medical assistance or euthanasia. I never ever want to do that again, even to my worst-enemy squirrel.

But a ding or two on the bell and wallah, no more squirrel in my path.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thank you, thank you....
    This post comes close to deserving Negative Rep.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    For years I did that.

But one situation where the bell works whereas yelling does not: squirrels. When the leaves start falling, and there's a slight chill in the air, and also many other times of the year... seemingly suicidal squirrels play chicken with me on my favorite MUT out around Valley Forge, PA.

For some reason, which I don't dare question, squirrels take off into the bush when they hear a bell. When I used to try yelling at them... Hey! Hey! (squirrels don't understand the concept of On Your Left, similar to many other MUT users)... I sounded nuts and squirrels ran toward the sound of my voice.

I ran over a squirrel one time. Avoided it with my front wheel, rolled over it with my back wheel. Tried to find it in the bush, to see if it was injured and needed medical assistance or euthanasia. I never ever want to do that again, even to my worst-enemy squirrel.

I usually just aim for squirrels. I never know where they're going to run but they sure ain't gonna stand still.

It's been working so far.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    "On your left" got an elderly woman killed here a few years ago.

She was walking on the right side of the trail. A polite commuter approached and announced 'on your left'.. to which she responded by turning around and stepping directly into the path of the cyclist. She was knocked backwards and hit her head on the pavement. She died of her injuries.

Whether it be a bell or voice.. there are times when it's appropriate and helpful, and there are times when it's not necessary or worth the risk.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Point of order here:

Shouldn't the term used in the thread title be Fredliest? Not Freddist.

Russian Troll Farmer

I believe the word you are looking for is "voila", vous personne sans education.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe the word you are looking for is "voila", vous personne sans education.
    That was originally quoted by SPIKE, to which my response was that I aimed at them.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    i usually just aim for squirrels. I never know where they're going to run but they sure ain't gonna stand still.

It's been working so far.
    this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    That was originally quoted by SPIKE, to which my response was that I aimed at them.
    Well, it's gotta make its annual cameo appearance. 2017, 2018.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Nosir. It's wallah.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    This post comes close to deserving Negative Rep.
    I tried. I'm all outta ammo.

You must spread some Negative Reputation around before socking it to No Time Toulouse again and again and again and again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Was he listening to Britney Spears?
    Yakety Sax would fit very well with our local group rides and MUT riding in general.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12