NNC: Freddest thing ever?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    269

    NNC: Freddest thing ever?

    Saw/heard one of these in action today, hanging from somebody's (an adult, no less) handlebars as he rode.

    https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+CLIP+3.html

    I'm not up on 21st century genres, but I would have called what he was playing "Insipid Dance Music." Thankfully our routes diverged.

    Didn't know this was a thing, but upon researching I find there a several competing products in the category. Ignorance was bliss.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    Saw/heard one of these in action today, hanging from somebody's (an adult, no less) handlebars as he rode.

    https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+CLIP+3.html

    I'm not up on 21st century genres, but I would have called what he was playing "Insipid Dance Music." Thankfully our routes diverged.

    Didn't know this was a thing, but upon researching I find there a several competing products in the category. Ignorance was bliss.
    Bright side...

    no ear plugs, uh, I mean ear buds.
    Too old to ride plastic

  3. #3
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,552
    I haven't seen one of these newfangled contraptions yet.

    Questions for bobf...

    How fast was this audiophile going?

    Was it projecting toward the rider's face, or just all over the place?



    I've seen some handlebar mounted contraptions that look like old kitchen counter radios strapped to the handlebars. The sound from them doesn't carry very far.

  4. #4
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,376
    They've made those for a while now. It has been a few years now of TdN of riding as fast as possible to get away from those people.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I haven't seen one of these newfangled contraptions yet.

    Questions for bobf...

    How fast was this audiophile going?

    Was it projecting toward the rider's face, or just all over the place?



    I've seen some handlebar mounted contraptions that look like old kitchen counter radios strapped to the handlebars. The sound from them doesn't carry very far.
    boom box.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

    How fast was this audiophile going?

    Was it projecting toward the rider's face, or just all over the place?
    Cruising speed, 15-18 mph on flat.

    All over. Not real loud, but distinct out to 10 or 20 yards from speaker. Not like a PA system or a motorcycle stereo, but, still, WTF.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Bright side...

    no ear plugs, uh, I mean ear buds.
    Later in the same ride I came up on a guy riding along, talking loudly. He was on a business call, apparently. He had a bud in at least one ear. Coudn't tell for sure if he was wearing two of them. He was wearing a California Triple Crown jersey, so (assuming he earned it) he wasn't a noob.

    Weird day on the road.

  8. #8
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,024
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Back in the early 80ís I was a teen with a boom box and didnít consider that the rest of the world didnít want to listen to Devo, Adam Ant and Judas Priest. Now I want to strangle people who blast music the way I used to . Go figure. Circle of life.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,792
    I guess it saves saying "On your left." But then so many walkers / joggers and rollerbladers on MUTs have their ears plugged up with some $#!t these days that saying so or playing music won't alert them.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,792
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    Back in the early 80ís I was a teen with a boom box and didnít consider that the rest of the world didnít want to listen to Devo, Adam Ant and Judas Priest.
    You left out Van Halen.

  11. #11
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    I guess it saves saying "On your left." But then so many walkers / joggers and rollerbladers on MUTs have their ears plugged up with some $#!t these days that saying so or playing music won't alert them.
    I installed an incredibell on my stem, which I ring repeatedly when coming up behind squirrels, toddlers, rollerbladers, earplugged cyclists and walkers, and other unpredictably clueless MUT'ers.


  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I installed an incredibell on my stem, which I ring repeatedly when coming up behind squirrels, toddlers, rollerbladers, earplugged cyclists and walkers, and other unpredictably clueless MUT'ers.

    I just read, on a local forum, that a cyclist was upset because she heard a bell but the other cyclist didn't announce "on your left" when passing. She said she didn't realize the cyclist was ringing the bell to warn her.

    But besides knuckleheads like that a bell works way good. I use a spurcycle bell and most people acknowledge they heard it and make room for a pass. No jumping out of their skin or moving to the left as can happen with an "on your left".

    IMG_1557.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

  13. #13
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    28,376
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I just read, on a local forum, that a cyclist was upset because she heard a bell but the other cyclist didn't announce "on your left" when passing. She said she didn't realize the cyclist was ringing the bell to warn her.

    But besides knuckleheads like that a bell works way good. I use a spurcycle bell and most people acknowledge they heard it and make room for a pass. No jumping out of their skin or moving to the left as can happen with an "on your left".



    Awe, the humble SpurCycle bell. Love mine. 18 months I've been using it during MUT riding and commuting....

    -Several people without earbuds when have in fact jumped out of their skin when I dinged them....they didn't think a bell could be that loud/carrying I suppose.
    -I've had ONE pedestrian call out "why didn't you call 'on your left!!!?!?!'" after me. Seriously, he's probably the only person in a city of 280,000 that actually wants people yelling at him.


    Other than that one rando guy...everyone else has smiled and waved, and for the most part not been to dumb about remembering how bi-directional MUT works in the USA (keep right pass left)...and if not, gotten out of the way. Versus "on your left", where no one seems to know what it means presuming they even hear you (maybe 1 -in-10 people will even hear you, and 90% of those will react wrong).
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    631
    "On your left" only works if you want people to half step right, then fully left straight into you. Big fan of bells, people either know what they mean and stay or move right, or turn around, see you, then move over. Just gotta do a long distance single ding, then keep it up if they don't respond.

    Except for the earbud zombies, nothing you can do about them.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    "On your left" only works if you want people to half step right, then fully left straight into you. Big fan of bells, people either know what they mean and stay or move right, or turn around, see you, then move over. Just gotta do a long distance single ding, then keep it up if they don't respond.

    Except for the earbud zombies, nothing you can do about them.
    Well, one can rudely yell "wake up (insert expletive)!"
    Too old to ride plastic

  16. #16
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,552
    You can barely see the bell on my bike. It's incredibell!


  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,792
    Quote Originally Posted by harryman View Post
    "On your left" only works if you want people to half step right, then fully left straight into you. Big fan of bells, people either know what they mean and stay or move right, or turn around, see you, then move over. Just gotta do a long distance single ding, then keep it up if they don't respond.
    Ringing bell does work up to some percentage. The problem I see is the boredom / annoyance. I don't know about your area but when I ride on MUTs in my area on a nice day, I'll be using the bell so many times that even my ears ring after an hour.

    Except for the earbud zombies, nothing you can do about them.
    Right, nothing left in terms of audio options. As for other options...


  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    636
    Someone I know recommended the Knog Oi "Classic" bell for my 30 mile round trip commute (mostly on MUT).

    I was skeptical, but these things are amazing. I don't know why, but for some reason, ringing this thing, people just respond (move over, wave, nod, etc...). It works better than

    1. doing nothing
    2. voice warning
    3. Most other bells, horns, noisemakers





    It's discreet/low profile, mounts easily and is easy to get to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Someone I know recommended the Knog Oi "Classic" bell for my 30 mile round trip commute (mostly on MUT).

    I was skeptical, but these things are amazing. I don't know why, but for some reason, ringing this thing, people just respond (move over, wave, nod, etc...). It works better than

    1. doing nothing
    2. voice warning
    3. Most other bells, horns, noisemakers





    It's discreet/low profile, mounts easily and is easy to get to.
    I got a couple of those when they 1st hit the market, and was really disappointed in them. They're on a shelf somewhere in my shop area.
    Too old to ride plastic

  20. #20
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I got a couple of those when they 1st hit the market, and was really disappointed in them. They're on a shelf somewhere in my shop area.
    What was your beef with them?

    It looks pretty cool. As an incredibell owner, I have to admit... I was a bit jelly when I saw this artistic tuning-forky bell. (Not 20 bucks worth of jellyness, mind you.)

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    What was your beef with them?

    It looks pretty cool. As an incredibell owner, I have to admit... I was a bit jelly when I saw this artistic tuning-forky bell. (Not 20 bucks worth of jellyness, mind you.)
    On one the way the bell rode on the springs seemed to lead to an inconsistent ring. Sometimes it was clear with a wonderful tone, other times it would be flat or muted. The other one was always flat.

    I retired those and that's when I got the Spurcycle bells. Wonderful bells, but crazy expensive.
    Too old to ride plastic

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    -I've had ONE pedestrian call out "why didn't you call 'on your left!!!?!?!'" after me. Seriously, he's probably the only person in a city of 280,000 that actually wants people yelling at him.
    I recently passed some mope pedestrian on a MUP at a blistering 1.5 mph and he lost his mind because I didn't call OYL...screamed at me that 'it's the LAW!'...

    derp. eff-off, Perry Mason...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    269
    OP here. I also have a Knog Oi. But I met speaker boy out on the road, not on a MUT, and not under circumstances where anyone needed to continuously announce themselves like some kind of disco ice cream truck. It just seemed like he couldnít bear to go anywhere w/o his tinny pop music. I'd have respected him more if it was something intense: Wagner, Marylin Manson, whatever. But no.
    Last edited by bobf; 06-17-2019 at 07:48 PM.

  24. #24
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    3,880
    i don't think "fred" concerning a guy on a bike playing loud junk, i think "urban ŠsshÚle."
    Last edited by blackfrancois; 06-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by bobf View Post
    OP here. I also have a Knog Oi. But I met speaker boy out on the road, not on a MUT, and not under circumstances where anyone needed to continuously announce themselves like some kind of disco ice cream truck. It just seemed like he couldnít bear to go anywhere w/o his tinny pop music. I'd have respected him more if it was something intense: Wagner, Marylin Mason, whatever. But no.
    I'm sorry, but this thread has drifted, or maybe been hi-jacked, and we're much more interested in your bell than we are in your annoyance in some knuckleheads choice of music and speaker system used to listen to said choice.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Helmet laws: Good thing or bad thing?
    By xxl in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 10-15-2015, 11:55 AM
  2. Is this a Specialized thing or a dealer thing?
    By Tranzition in forum Specialized
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-15-2014, 04:27 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM
  4. Good thing or a bad thing?
    By Miiles in forum Commuting, Touring and Ride Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
  5. Too much of a good thing = bad thing
    By S2H in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 07:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.