NNC re: not road cyling: I rode my road bike for the first time in a month yesterday.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081

    NNC re: not road cyling: I rode my road bike for the first time in a month yesterday.

    And even then, it was only an hour. Other than these two instances, I've ridden my Gios probably 5-10 times this year. I still commute 150 miles a week on my fixie or 29er and ride 10+ hours (including weekends), but man, I'm a wuss.

    Should I turn in my RBR card?
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,118
    If your Gios is a 54,55,or 56 then you are not giving it the love it deserves, I'd be willing to find it a good home.

    Any reason riding the Gios to work would be a horrible idea?

  3. #3
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    And even then, it was only an hour. Other than these two instances, I've ridden my Gios probably 5-10 times this year. I still commute 150 miles a week on my fixie or 29er and ride 10+ hours (including weekends), but man, I'm a wuss.

    Should I turn in my RBR card?
    Na, just don't post outside the lounge .

    How is Windsor recovering?
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  4. #4
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by threesportsinone
    If your Gios is a 54,55,or 56 then you are not giving it the love it deserves, I'd be willing to find it a good home.

    Any reason riding the Gios to work would be a horrible idea?
    It's a 54 cm with 54.5 top tube, A-90, Campy Centaur. I'd consider gicing your thousands of dollars a good home.

    I use a clip on rack sometimes that I just can't bring myself to put on the Gios. Plus, I likes the fixie. I don't know why I don't use it more, the fixie is just kind of easier for commuting and the mountain biking bug has bit me again.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  5. #5
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Na, just don't post outside the lounge .

    How is Windsor recovering?
    Maybe I can still post in the fixie forum.

    Windsor's on the mend. Most of the town is back to its old self with a little more sun due to the fact that so many trees were lost. Mosty of the debris has been taken away. Luckily, the Hawaiian resturant was not hit. Lots of houses in my neigborhood are having roof work done as well. In the hardest hit area, however, it still looks like post-Katrina New Orleans woth major consruction and a few houses completed razed. A lot of work is being done.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  6. #6
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    19,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Maybe I can still post in the fixie forum.

    Windsor's on the mend. Most of the town is back to its old self with a little more sun due to the fact that so many trees were lost. Mosty of the debris has been taken away. Luckily, the Hawaiian resturant was not hit. Lots of houses in my neigborhood are having roof work done as well. In the hardest hit area, however, it still looks like post-Katrina New Orleans woth major consruction and a few houses completed razed. A lot of work is being done.
    Glad to hear things are getting better. I was at a party Friday with an insurance guy who was headed up to help out this last weekend. Sounded like he'd spent quite a few days up there working with those that had damage or lost their homes.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    It's a 54 cm with 54.5 top tube, A-90, Campy Centaur. I'd consider gicing your thousands of dollars a good home.

    I use a clip on rack sometimes that I just can't bring myself to put on the Gios. Plus, I likes the fixie. I don't know why I don't use it more, the fixie is just kind of easier for commuting and the mountain biking bug has bit me again.
    Not sure what your talking about: "your thousands of dollars" Must have me confused with someone that doesn't spend money faster than they earn it.

    Make a special occasion where you don't have to bring anything other than yourself to work and treat your commute like a normal road ride.

  8. #8
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Glad to hear things are getting better. I was at a party Friday with an insurance guy who was headed up to help out this last weekend. Sounded like he'd spent quite a few days up there working with those that had damage or lost their homes.
    I imagine the insurabce guys in this part of the state have been pretty busy. Pretty much every car and lots of houses in the area sustained some damage. Plus (not that I'm endorsing it), there'd be no time like the present to try to slip a phony claim through.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  9. #9
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by threesportsinone
    Not sure what your talking about: "your thousands of dollars" Must have me confused with someone that doesn't spend money faster than they earn it.

    Make a special occasion where you don't have to bring anything other than yourself to work and treat your commute like a normal road ride.
    You make my road bike sound like a neglected girlfriend.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: teoteoteo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    3,779
    Don't feel bad Pablo. I commute on my road bike but it isn't like I actually get a decent ride on the thing. As soon as I get my hands on my new 29 'er Hardtail I'll likely not ride the road rig at all. The sad part is I am supposed to head to France next month to ride with MarkS and Philippe and I have zero fitness. If it weren't downright anti-social I'd take the mtb and ride it in the Pyrenees instead....

  11. #11
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    Don't feel bad Pablo. I commute on my road bike but it isn't like I actually get a decent ride on the thing. As soon as I get my hands on my new 29 'er Hardtail I'll likely not ride the road rig at all. The sad part is I am supposed to head to France next month to ride with MarkS and Philippe and I have zero fitness. If it weren't downright anti-social I'd take the mtb and ride it in the Pyrenees instead....
    29er are bike crack. I just rode mine in to work today. Of course, I'm just trying to break in the new Chris King bearings. If you want, I'll go to the Pyrennes for you and you can come to work for me. Deal?
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tarwheel2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,830
    I ride my mountain bike about twice a year, in a good year. I'd sell it, but you never know when you might get the urge to ride a heavy, slow beast that handles like a truck. I've been keeping it for riding in case it snows, but we haven't had a decent snowfall here in probably 5 years or more.

  13. #13
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    I ride my mountain bike about twice a year, in a good year. I'd sell it, but you never know when you might get the urge to ride a heavy, slow beast that handles like a truck.
    Truck is nice when you're descending a rock garden.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  14. #14
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Truck is nice when you're descending a rock garden.
    I'm usually "trucking" up the hills.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  15. #15
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I'm usually "trucking" up the hills.
    It's windy today...the 29er is calling me. Gonna have to see how riding the SS works towards training for the upcoming Ride the Rockies. I think I've got more offroad miles than on-road this year.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  16. #16
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    It's windy today...the 29er is calling me. Gonna have to see how riding the SS works towards training for the upcoming Ride the Rockies. I think I've got more offroad miles than on-road this year.
    I bet you'll be snappier on steep stuff, but maybe not as used to long, even, sustained efforts.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  17. #17
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,035
    In what world does commuting 150+ miles constitute you being a wuss???
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    [ CaliFotos ]

  18. #18
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    I bet you'll be snappier on steep stuff, but maybe not as used to long, even, sustained efforts.
    Yeah probably--last year I don't think I did a training ride that was over 50 miles and I definately felt the lack of endurance on the longer days--by the end of the week I'd ridden myself into shape though.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  19. #19
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,081
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    In what world does commuting 150+ miles constitute you being a wuss???
    Boulder County, Colroado. Nah, I was being sarcastic. It's just intersting how I waver between road and mountain and fixies.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.