NNC - trailer hookup
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

NNC - trailer hookup

Purchased a used trailer without instructions to take my son on a few cruises with me....It appears the clamp should hook to either the seat or the chain stay - but not sure which?

Is there a consensus "best" way to hook this up?

It also appears that on sharp turns the trailer wants to turn into the rear wheel and could hit the spokes - is that normal?

Just Plain Bitter
    What is the brand and model of trailer? This will help to identify how it should hook up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325
    What is the brand and model of trailer? This will help to identify how it should hook up.

It appears that the brand is CostCo...no idea of the model...It appears to have a singular clamp with a set screw tightening device...

Just Plain Bitter
    Is this it?

Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325
    Is this it?

Very close - I suspect that the version I got is a bit older, and perhaps less refined..but very close.

Zach

Just Plain Bitter
    This type of trailer is meant to be attached to the chainstay of the bicycle. The attachment mechanism should rotate so that if you fall over the trailer does not flip over also. Do not over tighten the attachment as it cold crush the chainstay. The strap is a safety strap to attach to the bicycle just in case. I recommend wide turns and overall slow speeds wth this attached and your kids in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks! Is there a preferred design out there or something that is safer/smoother/better.....?

Mehpic
    other trailer tips- make sure the tires are inflated properly- the rolling resistance of trailer + kiddo (around 70 lbs, in my case) is significant.

also, you will learn to hate headwinds....more.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by Qstick333
    Thanks! Is there a preferred design out there or something that is safer/smoother/better.....?

some have a skewer attachment, which makes connecting/disconnecting easier. my instep is like this.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

your text here
    looks to attach vis non-drive side chain stay. i had one of those. you need to clamp it down tight, but becareful! if that rubber slips/cuts, the metal will eat into your chainstay.

we had an engagement system like that once. then we upgraded to a chariot. that utilizes a ball and hitch system via a skewer. i like it much better. but we worked up to that.

+1 on th tire pressure.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

banned
    Oh, and make sure your kid is strapped in really good and wearing a helmet, so when you inevitably take a corner way too fast and flip the trailer on it's side and wake them up from their nap and drag the whole mess another 30 feet down the road as you slow to a stop, you can look back and see your very angry and confused daughter suspended safely away from the road, looking at you as if you just turned their wold upside down, but completely unhurt.

or something.

not that I would know.