No motivation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No motivation

done
    Aug 2009

No motivation

TMI:

For the past year, I seem to be less and less interested in getting **** done at work. This week has been particularly bad. I feel this way even when I have an interesting job to work on.

I don't know what's going on. This doesn't feel like procrastination. Even when I've procrastinated in the past, I still got things done, even if it was at the last minute. Now, even the most menial task is like pulling teeth and I'm getting more and more stuff out late. I'm definitely not pulling my weight. I don't think it's the work material and my office environment is almost entirely stress free except for what I produce when I procrastinate. Some of it probably boils down to my piss-poor organizational and time management skills, but there's something else weighing me down, and I can't figure out WTF it is.

I went to a pro last year when I started noticing this pattern. All she wanted to talk about was my family, no real urgency for the reason I was there out of the 5 or so visits I made. Then I spent the summer traveling and never went back. I kind of got the impression I wasn't visiting the right kind of therapist. Maybe I should be on drugs.

Anyone else run into something similar? Did you find a way to snap out of it?

Tanks.

Wanna go for a ride?
    I've had the same problem and my career suffered as a result. It wasn't until I found a doctor who listened to me and understood the root of my problem and prescribed a treatment regimen that I actually was able to overcome this. I can't diagnose your problem, but for me it was Adult-ADD.

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LandShark'n
    I've had the same problem and my career suffered as a result. It wasn't until I found a doctor who listened to me and understood the root of my problem and prescribed a treatment regimen that I actually was able to overcome this. I can't diagnose your problem, but for me it was Adult-ADD.
    Thanks for the reply.

How did you go about finding your doc? Trial and error? I'm not really sure what to even look for, which is why I believe I ended up with someone that didn't really jive with my funk, if you will.

half-fast
    I am a sometimes superstar at putting things off. If I make a serious effort at working a plan, things go a lot better. I have enough time, and I know when the milestone activities are due.

Nothing fancy, just notepads and a calendar. Make sure to use the same notepad, though. Not 500 separate little raggedy-ass notes.

Personally, I have good days and bad. Sometimes the bills are the only thing that motivate me do do the same old crap over and over and over again.

Good luck.

Large Suburban Male
    Funny you should post this now.

We just went live with a huge project that lots of Exec eyes on us, and I totally didn't give a crap. Normally I can overcome that feeling, step up and do my job with aplomb.

This time, there was no aplomb, and I feel like I let the rest of the team down.

Today, while monitoring operations, I was able to take a look at the root of the problem. I have a lot of issues with my manager, and with the way she treats employees, and I let that affect my performance.

After my navel gazing, I took my issue by the short hairs (koad?) and decided to start looking for another position in the company, and outside the company.

I looked inward to find the root of my issue. It sounds like you've already done that - I hope it turns out well.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I had the same issue this semester with my classwork, unfortunately. Thankfully, my professors were mostly understanding enough so I got all my stuff handed in, albeit at a reduced grade. But, I'm mostly posting to get a subscription to this thread.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    After about 10 years with my old company, I started having issues with motivation... I figured the problem was that I was burnt out.. Took me another 2 years to finally act on it and find a new job... Now, the last 5 years, I have been thru 5 jobs. (one actually lasted almost 2 years, plus a 9 month layoff). I usually last about 6 months at the new place before I start feeling like a slug...

I am truly hating my current project, but don't have too many issues with the CO. Project is almost done, so I am trying to stick it out and see what the next project brings... It is tough somedays, though....
    Veni, Vidi, Vomiti.

your text here
    just a year? lucky you.

last year i told my group manager i felt a lack of motivation. after having things change so much so often, i had a feeling of "why bother." she gave me nothing back.

when we were restructured to a new corporate manager, he pulled my perf review fromlast year. we talked about it and i told him i felt no motivation. no feedback was being given, there was a ton of change, and it felt like the personal roi wasnt adding up. i said i understood the need for change, but we had been through so many iterations in the past year that it was getting difficult to understand what was expected of us.

suck it up was basically what i got back.

hang in there, man.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

still shedding season
    After years of working, I'd bet most people have been through this in one way or another. That time that you really busted your ***, you know you did a great job and everyone involved made out really well? Never another word about it. The one that slid through and was pretty much 'meh' all the way around? Pat on the back. One tiny little detail that didn't go well and 0.0001% your fault - look the **** out. This sort of thing doesn't help, but then I realize that I'm lucky that I don't have people big-brothering me all day long.

One thing that does help? Commuting by bike, even occasionally. I feel great when I get there and since the day starts off well, it often times continues that way. Aside from that, when I catch myself sliding I'll just HTFU and do more - feels better that way for me. Easily said, I understand. Take a day off by yourself and get out and do something really fun - that helps get/keep me on track.

Collin's Dad
    I would recommend actually going to see a psychiatrist and talking with them about how you are feeling. The nice thing about going directly to a psychiatrist versus a psychologist is that the psychiatrist is actually an MD that can prescribe meds if they think it would be beneficial.

Master debator.
    I know the feeling. I just finished up a huge project at work a few weeks ago, it really zapped a lot of our strength. Long hours for days on end for a lot of us, and the salaried employees get absolutely zilch for their extra effort. In fact working alongside hourly employees making almost triple what we were really sucks, but that's another rant.
    So I'm still burnt out, but I suspect the OP is the same. Burnout can be chronic or acute, and it really sucks when you receive zero recognition for your efforts other than "be glad you have a job in this market".
    Firstly I'd talk with you supervisor about it, and if you can't that may be part of the problem. It may be as simple as the weather, you need a break, or you really do need a kick in the ass because however cheeky the "your lucky to have a job" line is it's partially correct imho
    Have a great day!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Shirtcocker
    I get this way from time to time. Don't have any other good advice other than to suck it up and get your work done. Finding a new job sucks also. If you still feel this way 6 months from now then maybe start looking. Pretty sure I have ADD also though I've never been officially diagnosed. I just learned coping skills for it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Call me a Fred
    Become self-employed. Start a hot dog stand.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    Become self-employed. Start a hot dog stand.
    So, you're going to hire yourself as a professional?

done
    Aug 2009
    Visited the psychiatrist yesterday. Diagnosis is mild anxiety and depression. Already knew that. Got some Rx. First day, and I already don't like this. Not really helping me focus, more just making me feel out of sorts. The diarrhea ain't so hot, either. Fug.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Visited the psychiatrist yesterday. Diagnosis is mild anxiety and depression. Already knew that. Got some Rx. First day, and I already don't like this. Not really helping me focus, more just making me feel out of sorts. The diarrhea ain't so hot, either. Fug.
    What are you taking? The first time I took Zoloft I thought I'd dropped a hit of acid. Not cool when you're at work.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II View Post
    What are you taking? The first time I took Zoloft I thought I'd dropped a hit of acid. Not cool when you're at work.
    30mg Cymbalta. 10mg of Aderol for a month, until the Cymbalta builds up enough to start working.

I can handle feeling out of it for a while, I understand that it might take while to get used to. But I made the mistake of googleing cymbalta and diarrhea. Jeepers. No way I'll stay on this stuff if that's what I have to look forward to. And I have a camping trip this weekend, too.

Is the first day too early to start pestering the doc with side effect questions. Haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary in the last 48 hours. Only thing that's changed is I'm on drugs now.

eminence grease
    30mg Cymbalta. 10mg of Aderol for a month, until the Cymbalta builds up enough to start working.

I can handle feeling out of it for a while, I understand that it might take while to get used to. But I made the mistake of googleing cymbalta and diarrhea. Jeepers. No way I'll stay on this stuff if that's what I have to look forward to. And I have a camping trip this weekend, too.

Is the first day too early to start pestering the doc with side effect questions. Haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary in the last 48 hours. Only thing that's changed is I'm on drugs now.
    Cymbalta requires a 90 second TV spot just to list the side effects.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b View Post
    Cymbalta requires a 90 second TV spot just to list the side effects.
    I knew I should be watching more TV!

Shirtcocker

I took one of my kid's adderals once to see what it did. Super low dose, but it made me feel really keyed up and edgy like I'd just snorted a line of coke. Did not help me focus. Was like having too much coffee. Not a pleasant feeling at all.

No Crybabies

motivation

I heard that she has been out riding around where you live. You need to get out there and find her.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II View Post
    I took one of my kid's adderals once to see what it did. Super low dose, but it made me feel really keyed up and edgy like I'd just snorted a line of coke. Did not help me focus. Was like having too much coffee. Not a pleasant feeling at all.
    Exactly. Movement is jerky. Every other thing I type is a typo. It felt like I was 16 years old and relearning how to drive a manual transmission during lunch.

Did I mention the diarrhea? Feels and sounds like I have an aquarium bubbler in my intestines.

Beginning to second guess this stuff.

done
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    I heard that she has been out riding around where you live. You need to get out there and find her.

She's probably too fast for me to catch.

done
    Aug 2009
    ****in-A, googled cymbalta side effects. Sounds like withdraw is a monster.

How can constipation and diarrhea be listed as common side effects?

EDIT: Anyway, I'm at least going to hold off on taking anything else until next week. If I get the same problems, I'll stop again and call the doc.

Thanks for listening, all.
    Last edited by Love Commander; 06-23-2011 at 11:04 AM.

donuts?
    stop complaining and just ride.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast