Nobody's watching 30 for 30? Lance confessions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Nobody's watching 30 for 30? Lance confessions!

I used to think, "he's the most tested athlete in the world, he can't be cheating! It was probably due to dropping 40lbs or so after chemo that he became so efficient." Boy was that naive.

But I still thought something wasn't quite right, just couldn't figure out what. Didn't make sense how he could be THAT good.

Now I'm watching and thinking, damn how could he be THAT much of a douche. Sure, you can get caught up in the snowball effect, end up making SO much money for many people, you just go along with it for a while, then cash out ASAP. But he didn't. Ego made him feel unstoppable.

Anyway, old news, but still interesting to watch.

What the what???
    Haven't been watching. I too was one of those who fell for the story and defended this asshat for way too long. Odd that for a guy who fought cancer, he became a malignant tumor on cycling and has continued to be one now for years.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I used to think, "he's the most tested athlete in the world, he can't be cheating! It was probably due to dropping 40lbs or so after chemo that he became so efficient." Boy was that naive.

But I still thought something wasn't quite right, just couldn't figure out what. Didn't make sense how he could be THAT good.

Now I'm watching and thinking, damn how could he be THAT much of a douche. Sure, you can get caught up in the snowball effect, end up making SO much money for many people, you just go along with it for a while, then cash out ASAP. But he didn't. Ego made him feel unstoppable.

Anyway, old news, but still interesting to watch.
    I often wonder if he did not attempt the comeback if he would have gotten away with it

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I often wonder if he did not attempt the comeback if he would have gotten away with it
    It certainly didn't help. But before he did, Floyd Landis was already on the war path. Tyler Hamilton had nothing to lose about coming clean at that point. And there was the nutty Betsy Andreu who had it out for him.

I always was convinced that he was doping. Right from the start. I think he was doing it when he won the Worlds before he got cancer. I remember when he won the TDF the third or fourth time, and my boss, who was a sports fan but not a cyclist asked me if I thought he was taking drugs, I said yes. The he asked are the other guys on the podium taking drugs. I said yes. So he said -- well then if they're all on drugs, its a level playing field. The thing is -- it wasn't. He was a doper extraordinaire. He had a program run by a doctor who specialized in this. His whole team was on the program. No one else took it to that level.

Seat's not level
    'It could be worse … I could be Floyd Landis' - It's like one pile of dog poop comparing itself to another pile of dog poop... and saying it doesn't stink as much as the other one.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    And there was the nutty Betsy Andreu who had it out for him.
    For not backing down and speaking the truth in a man's world? I'm far from knowing all the details of this story but I've never heard anything that would make me think she's nuts.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    For not backing down and speaking the truth in a man's world? I'm far from knowing all the details of this story but I've never heard anything that would make me think she's nuts.
    There was a Lance documentary a few years ago that she had several appearances in. She came off to me as a bit crazy-angry. Her husband Frankie stayed out of it.

Darling of The Lounge
    This generation of juiced riders has pretty much turned me off to professional cycling. That along with the sport killing off the likes of Marco Pantani, Frank Vandenbroucke and José María Jiménez.

Looking back it's amazing on how much money and time I spent on Cycle Sport subscriptions, light weight parts, and hours of taping and watching racing on Versus and OLN. Also, RIP, Paul Sherwin and Adrian Karsten.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2020
    He did a good podcast on Freakonomics a while ago. He totally owns what he did now, however that doesn’t excuse the conduct during the coverup.

Another great 30/30 is slaying the badger. It’s great to watch lemond win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Slaying the Badger was awesome. Might need to watch that again after watching this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    As much as the guy was a awful person, personally his accomplishments are inspiring and amazing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by happybill68 View Post
    ... He totally owns what he did now...
    Owning up to wrongdoing is nothing if there's no effort to make restitution to those who were harmed.

He sued a lot of people and ruined many reputations and careers. If he gave up all his ill-gotten gains then I'd say he has character. Unfortunately, we'll never see anything close to that.

Banned forever.....or not
    My favorite comment by Bike Snob NYC was....
    "Armstrong played by the unwritten rules of the sport, but then the sport re-wrote those rules, and nobody consulted him."
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw both parts. I don't blame him for doping, he did it because of the pervasiveness of it in this sport. I also feel doping alone is not enough for anyone to win TdF seven times.

It is how he treated others to cover his lies that forever sealed my opinion of him.

LA's nonchalant attitude towards lying is uncanning. He will say anything with conviction to further his cause. With this, I can't help but draw a big parallel between him and someone that currently occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Eddy 53:11
    Lance should have just done H&B and called it quits early-on.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.
    I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I'm down with today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, I VCR’d both of the them and it confirmed what I felt about him back in the day. He’s a narcissist moron, a bully, and too dumb for his own good. And yea, arrogance beyond belief; case in point, if the dipsh*! didn’t attempt his post Seven tours “comeback” the idiot/liar would have gotten away with it. Thankfully, his arrogance sunk him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Yes, I VCR’d both of the them
    What the hell does that mean?!?!?!?

a little too stoked
    Have zero f**ks to give about Lance these days.

Terrible person, and a cheater. Well past time to move on.

LeMond >>> Lance.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did - peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL. VOTE in November.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

What the what???
    I agree that the "comeback" was his downfall. The UCI, for all their lipservice to anti-doping, had a vested monetary/PR interest in Armstrong's success. If he had stayed retired I think they would have continued to look the other way at his cheating as a net win for the sport. The comeback was a bridge too far.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    What the hell does that mean?!?!?!?
    I don't know, I Betamax'ed mine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    There was a Lance documentary a few years ago that she had several appearances in. She came off to me as a bit crazy-angry. Her husband Frankie stayed out of it.
    You are complete off here. She is not crazy, not in the slightest.

Some folks just lied down when Lance tried to ruin them, Betsy didn't. She stood up and fought the bully.
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Seems like America is tired of Lance. Ratings were way down. The Jordan doc got 6.5 million viewers and lying Lance got 800,000.
    "I would like you to do us a favor"

Proud luddite
    Interesting side note....despite the lawsuits and paying the settlements Lance remains filthy rich. He invested in Uber when the company was worth $3 million and it’s now worth over $100 billion, pre-COVID. It saved him financially and he’s set for life. Still a douche though.

Banned forever.....or not
    I got mine on 8mm...…..(not super 8)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Falsetti View Post
    Seems like America is tired of Lance. Ratings were way down. The Jordan doc got 6.5 million viewers and lying Lance got 800,000.
    I dont know about America in general, but I've had enough of him. There is really nothing he could do at this point to improve my opinion of him, not that he cares

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast