Thread: Not bad enough

Frog Whisperer

Not bad enough

Not bad enough that I have a cycling question, but it is a mountain bike question. My son in law was talking about getting a fat tire bike but as his ONLY bike, I am convinced that it would be a mistake. A decent mountain bike can do almost anything a fat tire can (I have 2 1/2 inch knobbies on mine and have road slicks too). My daughter rides paved paths and he should be able to ride with her too!

Joe has a 34 inch inseam, what size mountain bike would he ride? I figure a 56 road frame but not a clue on mt bike

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    He will need at least 3" between the top tube and the family jewels, while straddling with feet flat on ground. Most likely a large or extra-large frame, but it might depend on whether he gets a full-suspension or hardtail. Things have changed since I last bought a new mtb (30" inseam, xs/full suspension frame, 26" wheels.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know plenty of folks who ride fatty's full time, it's a lifestyle choice. A mid-fat might be nice compromise, they are unbelievable confidence inspiring for those newer to the sport. In most brands he is a large.
    Under no circumstances should he get a 26" bike, all the other kids will make fun of him. The 27.5 is a great way to go, that's the direction that I pushed my own Son in Law.

Sorry to disharmonize with Christine, but standover means nothing. A bike should fit you while you are riding it, who cares how it fits when your stopped at the top of a hill gasping for air.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    He will need at least 3" between the top tube and the family jewels, while straddling with feet flat on ground. Most likely a large or extra-large frame, but it might depend on whether he gets a full-suspension or hardtail. Things have changed since I last bought a new mtb (30" inseam, xs/full suspension frame, 26" wheels.)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    I know plenty of folks who ride fatty's full time, it's a lifestyle choice. A mid-fat might be nice compromise, they are unbelievable confidence inspiring for those newer to the sport. In most brands he is a large.
    Under no circumstances should he get a 26" bike, all the other kids will make fun of him. The 27.5 is a great way to go, that's the direction that I pushed my own Son in Law.

Sorry to disharmonize with Christine, but standover means nothing. A bike should fit you while you are riding it, who cares how it fits when your stopped at the top of a hill gasping for air.
    Yeah, he REALLY WANTS, a fat tire so...... I am thinking a 19.5? (Trek Farley 5) This would be easier if my daughter didn't want me surprise him.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Yeah, he REALLY WANTS, a fat tire so...... I am thinking a 19.5? (Trek Farley 5) This would be easier if my daughter didn't want me surprise him.
    Don't impose your ideas on a gift. Though a +29er (fatter tires than a normal 29er, not as fat as a fat tire), would likely be better, if he wants a fat tire, get that. It will be better in the snow, that's for sure.

How tall is he? I would say based on inseam that a size large would work, as a guess. So the 19.5 seems right.

If you buy locally, ask if an exchange would be possible once you see him on the bike... since it is a blind gift. If so, it makes sense to go 19.5... since the shop likely won't want a larger size sitting around.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He will need at least 3" between the top tube and the family jewels
    Maybe TOG doesn't want anymore grand kids? There is a guy in our neighbourhood with a Pugsley and he rides that thing everywhere, daily commute of about 5 miles. He even did a century on if(okay it was a flat century but he wasn't as slow as you'd expect.). If your SIL isn't going to be racing then get the fat bike. 19" or there about sounds right.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Don't impose your ideas on a gift. Though a +29er (fatter tires than a normal 29er, not as fat as a fat tire), would likely be better, if he wants a fat tire, get that. It will be better in the snow, that's for sure.

How tall is he? I would say based on inseam that a size large would work, as a guess. So the 19.5 seems right.

If you buy locally, ask if an exchange would be possible once you see him on the bike... since it is a blind gift. If so, it makes sense to go 19.5... since the shop likely won't want a larger size sitting around.
    He is 6' tall, exchange will probably not be possible.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    6' tall 34" inseam sounds like me. I ride a large Pugsley. Though not all the time. Looking forward to the snow forecast for the Mid-Atlantic region this winter.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    This is the second time I've heard this opinion in a couple months.

Modern flow trails not withstanding, unlike road biking, MTB riders often have unexpected dismounts onto uneven ground. Some extra room to prevent getting "crotched" is a good insurance policy. It's not "standing at the top of the hill gasping for air" that's a concern. It's, "I was riding too slowly to clear that log so my front wheel jammed into it and I slid forward off my seat and onto my top tube".

That said, I suspect most MTBs are designed to provide that increased stand over clearance for any given frame size using sloping or bent top tubes.

I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and all of my MTBs from 1994 onward have been size large (18"-19" frame size).

I honestly couldn't tell you what size road bike I'm on although I did have a professional fit.

gazing from the shadows
    Know anyone his size/proportion for a sit on evaluation? They really don't need to ride much, or even at all.

Offer a couple of beers at a nearby bar for a body double, that might work.

^^^^^^^
    Maybe the most lounge line I have written.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Master debator.
    I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam (maybe a tad bit longer) and I ride a Trek Farley 7 in 19.5". If he went with the next size down I fear the seat post would not be long enough as it would be cranked up too high. I run Schwalbe 4.8" tires in the summer at over 12 PSI and in the winter I run a knobby tire at around 3 PSI. He'll be fine.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    This is the second time I've heard this opinion in a couple months.

Modern flow trails not withstanding, unlike road biking, MTB riders often have unexpected dismounts onto uneven ground. Some extra room to prevent getting "crotched" is a good insurance policy. It's not "standing at the top of the hill gasping for air" that's a concern. It's, "I was riding too slowly to clear that log so my front wheel jammed into it and I slid forward off my seat and onto my top tube".

That said, I suspect most MTBs are designed to provide that increased stand over clearance for any given frame size using sloping or bent top tubes.

I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, and all of my MTBs from 1994 onward have been size large (18"-19" frame size).

I honestly couldn't tell you what size road bike I'm on although I did have a professional fit.
    I actually tend to agree with el scorcho. Extra clearance is nice, but an inch is usually sufficient. One does not often actually hit the top tube, they hit the stem... which doesn't matter much how high the top tube is, you'll still hit the stem. (Unfortunately, I know this more from personal experience than anything else!) In fact, the only time I landed on the top tube I was on a bike I had plenty of clearance on, and would have probably still hit it with another 3" clearance (yes, it hurt!)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Frog Whisperer
    As it turns out, my daughter has decided that she isn't going to spend that kind of money for a bike that he most likely won't ride. He hasn't ridden the bike he has in 5 years apparently. No matter how much he wants it!

Seat's not level
    Gravel bikes are the new black... Phat tires are no longer the cool...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Rub it............

A 3" standover would put him on a small to medium frame which would be too small for the OP's son in law. With the advent of larger tires - fat bikes have an approx overall circumference of almost a 29x2.2 inch tire.

As a MTB and road cyclist with a 34 inch inseam standing at approx 6'1", I'd look at a Large frame to start out with and go from there.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.