Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is Burning - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    What the what???

Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is Burning

Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Is there nothing Trump won't weigh in on.. he suggests using air tankers to put the fire out.. because dropping what is essentially the weight of at least half an Olympic pools worth of water on the root of a building on fire would work.. and not flatten it completely.. not to mention it is not just water but also flame retardant, in a heavily populated area with stores and restaurants and people and cars and all sorts of other things.. the building would have burned to the ground long before people could be evacuated..
    In case anyone thought it was a joke...

”President Donald Trump encourages France to use “flying water tankers” to put out a raging fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris as firefighters rushed to save one of the country’s most visited landmarks.

“So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris,” the president tweets. “Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!”

“If you hit that with tons of water from above, that’s going to collapse the entire structure and make the situation worse,” said Wayne McPartland, a retired New York City Fire Department battalion chief. “If you miss, you might hit civilians in the street.”

Jeebus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47941794 Per the Beeb, the main structure is as good as can be given the circumstances. They're still working on containing the damage inside.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    People shouldn't give a penny. The Catholic Church is worth $100 billion
    Not for much longer. Those child molestation settlements are costing the church a bundle!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    The French Government owns the Cathedral, not the Catholic Church, as note.
    The building itself is owned by the French state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity.

And of course, nothing is preventing the Catholic Church from making a donation.... for the good of the Church.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    GOD IS MAD

Pick your imaginary reason, and stick with that
    atheists rejoice..
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    The building itself is owned by the French state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity.

And of course, nothing is preventing the Catholic Church from making a donation.... for the good of the Church.
    I understand the hostility towards the Catholic church, but Notre Dame is a cultural and historic icon at least as much as a place of worship. The church has a much lower interest in restoring the church to its former glory than does the government and the citizens of France in general.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealric View Post
    I understand the hostility towards the Catholic church, but Notre Dame is a cultural and historic icon at least as much as a place of worship. The church has a much lower interest in restoring the church to its former glory than does the government and the citizens of France in general.
    regardless of whether it owns the site, you really don't think the church will try to monetize this 'tragedy'...?

my guess is lots of people will be coughing up some serious contributions in the collection plate this sunday.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    The people who built that church, from the pope all the way down to the lowliest laborers, were part of catholic europe that routinely murdered jews simply because they were jews, and burned people at the stake for being witches, heresy, blasphemy, etc, etc.

It's a great example of architecture of the time... but it's also a monument to a vicious feudal power that drove hatred leading to mass murderous intolerance and repressive superstition, some of which continues to this day.

I can't get too weepy about the symbolism of middle ages catholicism.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    The people who built that church, from the pope all the way down to the lowliest laborers, were part of catholic europe that routinely murdered jews simply because they were jews, and burned people at the stake for being witches, heresy, blasphemy, etc, etc.

It's a great example of architecture of the time... but it's also a monument to a vicious feudal power that drove hatred leading to mass murderous intolerance and repressive superstition, some of which continues to this day.

While I do agree that the Jewish people have been treated horribly by others throughout time, more recently they have proven to be tolerant as they did help, when they could, the Jews during the Nazi regime. I hate to see any historical buildings to be destroyed, especially one as beautiful as Notre Dame.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    atheists rejoice..
    I'm an atheist, and I visited Notre Dame in 1979, on a summer trek starting in London, ending in Berlin. As a historical building, you can't get much more important and majestic as this cathedral. Truly one of the most impressive buildings I've seen in my life. Thankfully, the damage is not as extensive as feared, and it will be repaired.

On a cycling note, what do you want to bet that in July, the TdF will make a detour on the way to the Champs Elysee to ride past Notre Dame?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Early reports suggest that individuals with deep pockets will be kicking off any renovations with Rome offering technical assistance...

OTOH, I do find it distressing how easily some folks accept the fire on religious terms. Even vaunted news outlets are reporting of "miracles" coming from the ashes while completely ignoring the ashes.

Old Testament God would have diverted the Seine through the church. New Testament God would not have let the fire start in the first place. Heathens like me think schlitz happens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

You could take this to a logical conclusion and state that every civilization in the history of man, has at some point perpetrated atrocities on other men. Should we tear down every existing example of antique monuments ?, Great Wall of China ?, The Pyramids ?, where do you stop with this ?.

RoadBikeReview Member
    where do you stop with this ?.
    … wherever your comfort zone is... < < runs and hides > >

RoadBikeReview Member
    isn't this the kind of thing that the pious dismiss as just being part of 'god's plan'...?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    _____

Sweet Potato Kugel

Bookant en rive gauche

It's a great example of architecture of the time...
    We lived in 75006, rue Séguier where our first child was born. When my wife was preganant she'd take Montparnasse to the west weekends, as many parisians summer months. I would ride my GIOS Torino behind the bus going up Saint Michel, arms reach of the craft arriving at the Gare. After dropping her off at the platform, ride 90k out to Norgent-le-Roi where we'd spend weekends with her maternal grandmother and Max, her grandmother's husband. Funny, all those who lived during the occupation, all Jewish and never a word about religion.

Our 6th floor appartement had a tinted view of Notre Dame from the dinning room window. My father in law spoke of strikes he read about in the early 1800''s where the cobble in Séguier [made of wood] was dug up for heating fuel and the buttresses of Dame went hundreds of feet into the seine, some of that was robbed as well. I loved that arrondissement, was married and had our first child in it. Just walking each and every street while researching history independent of any theology or dismemberment. That ride each weekend, 200 kilometres west of the city, taught someone like me to observe and not build richer or become beheaded.

What was the question.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    We lived in 75006, rue Séguier where our first child was born. When my wife was preganant she'd take Montparnasse to the west weekends, as many parisians summer months. I would ride my GIOS Torino behind the bus going up Saint Michel, arms reach of the craft arriving at the Gare. After dropping her off at the platform, ride 90k out to Norgent-le-Roi where we'd spend weekends with her maternal grandmother and Max, her grandmother's husband. Funny, all those who lived during the occupation, all Jewish and never a word about religion.

Our 6th floor appartement had a tinted view of Notre Dame from the dinning room window. My father in law spoke of strikes he read about in the early 1800''s where the cobble in Séguier [made of wood] was dug up for heating fuel and the buttresses of Dame went hundreds of feet into the seine, some of that was robbed as well. I loved that arrondissement, was married and had our first child in it. Just walking each and every street while researching history independent of any theology or dismemberment. That ride each weekend, 200 kilometres west of the city, taught someone like me to observe and not build richer or become beheaded.

What was the question.
    I don't know, but this was certainly still on topic.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post

What was the question.
    Great post. Beautiful story. On topic but not slavishly so. And yeah, it doesn't hurt that, all told, Paris is my favorite town.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    You could take this to a logical conclusion and state that every civilization in the history of man, has at some point perpetrated atrocities on other men. Should we tear down every existing example of antique monuments ?, Great Wall of China ?, The Pyramids ?, where do you stop with this ?.
    I didn't say tear it down.

Build it back, better than ever.

This time, put in a sprinkler system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't say tear it down.

Build it back, better than ever.

This time, put in a sprinkler system.
    A local man installed a physically awesome $6K door on his home in a Historic District without permissions, which preservation council says he'd never have gotten because the door ain't period. He's required to remove it even though he say's he needs the security.

Wonder if people would complain seeing sprinkler heads?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    A local man installed a physically awesome $6K door on his home in a Historic District without permissions, which preservation council says he'd never have gotten because the door ain't period. He's required to remove it even though he say's he needs the security.

Wonder if people would complain seeing sprinkler heads?
    Seeing sprinkler heads is better than seeing a pile of ashes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If Obama were our President he'd be in Paris with a fat check from the United States building bridges of brotherhoodf instead of a wall of isolation. Embarrassing.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Iconic monument,no question about it. But Paris nowadays is a completely rotten city. Dirt,extremely polluted and gipsies all over the place stalking tourists. Charlier Hebdo shooting, Yellow vests and now this fire...the frenchies deserve some crap. God I hate frenchies. But ehi,who in the world does not ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Came here to post this. It's hard to find a historic monument that was built by a society that committed no crimes. That doesn't take away from the significance or beauty of the monument itself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast