Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is Burning - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    … this thread has a lot of... facets.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    If Obama were our President he'd be in Paris with a fat check from the United States building bridges of brotherhoodf instead of a wall of isolation. Embarrassing.
    Why isn't he doing that now, as an esteemed private citizen?

And a fat check of whose money?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Why isn't he doing that now, as an esteemed private citizen?

And a fat check of whose money?
    How do you know he hasn't. Unlike Trump, Obama does not need, and in general based on my observations, does not want the publicity every time he does something good. Trump wants everyone on their knees praising his greatness every time he does anything... Obama could care less.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    How do you know he hasn't. Unlike Trump, Obama does not need, and in general based on my observations, does not want the publicity every time he does something good. Trump wants everyone on their knees praising his greatness every time he does anything... Obama could care less.
    OK, forget Obama and Trump.

Do you agree with troutmd that the US president, whoever is in that office, should go to France with a "fat check" from the United States?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Do you agree with troutmd that the US president, whoever is in that office, should go to France with a "fat check" from the United States?
    Nope, I don't think we should be sending them any money. That is not to say I am against helping, sending experts in some capacity to assist and rebuilding is fine, but no need to send a fat check.

RoadBikeReview Member

I never claimed everyone still wants to live in a stand alone America as if they were someone frozen in the 20th Century.

Nor did I claim that some are so selfish they can not look nor think beyond the tip of their noses. ... that would not be necessary.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    A leader vs. a spoiled-brat bully. Simple really.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found this quote from Victor Hugo, writing in the early 19th century about Notre Dame and the many additions and changes and reconstructions it experienced over the centuries.

There is “…often the universal history of humanity in the successive engrafting of many arts at many levels, upon the same monument. The man, the artist, the individual, is effaced in these great masses, which lack the name of their author; human intelligence is there summed up and totalized. Time is the architect, the nation is the builder.”
    Regardless of your attitude toward the particular religion, or religion in general, I think one can value such monuments as displays of great things that humans can produce. I predict that the rebuilding that will soon begin, which will undoubtedly change the building in many ways, will add more chapters to this story of human intelligence, and I find value in that.
    "None of us knows for sure what's out there; that's why we keep looking. Keep your faith; travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you, constantly." The 13th Doctor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I predict that the rebuilding that will soon begin, which will undoubtedly change the building in many ways, will add more chapters to this story of human intelligence, and I find value in that.
    The Keno Brother's descendants in the year 457,221 CGE appraising the value of Notre Dame.

"The interior of the structure was gutted by fire but it occurred so early in it's history that it does not affect it's value today."

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Before everybody starts chipping in money to rebuild -- which seems to be a major topic in the social media sphere -- it might be wise to let the investigation run its course.

The company that was doing renovations certainly carries insurance. It very well may be the case that their insurance will pay in full for all rebuilding.

And if not, between the government of France and the Vatican, I'm sure there's plenty of dough to cover any insurance deductibles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before everybody starts chipping in money to rebuild -- which seems to be a major topic in the social media sphere -- it might be wise to let the investigation run its course.

The company that was doing renovations certainly carries insurance. It very well may be the case that their insurance will pay in full for all rebuilding.

And if not, between the government of France and the Vatican, I'm sure there's plenty of dough to cover any insurance deductibles.
    But what if the insurance company is France's version of "The General" or "Insurance King"? While each may a splinter of a larger and more recognized brand, the parent company might just write off the whole splinter and deem the claim insolvent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    But what if the insurance company is France's version of "The General" or "Insurance King"? While each may a splinter of a larger and more recognized brand, the parent company might just write off the whole splinter and deem the claim insolvent!
    whatever are you rambling on about...?

just set up a GoFundMe site and it'll all get fixed.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Bach on Tropics.

Last edited by Eretz; 04-18-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Bach on Tropics.

Hilary Hahn! My current favorite classical violinist. I haven't been as excited about a violinist since I first became aware of Itzhak Perlman, when I first heard this and it raised hairs on my arms and the back of my neck. It still does

Sweet Potato Kugel
    D-Minor Stuff. And Such.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    D-Major

Last edited by Eretz; 05-08-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic
    Last edited by Eretz; 04-18-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Back on topic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eretz; 04-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The vatican should foot the bill for repairs, but it's considered more of a landmark than a church, so the vatican doesn't have any need to contribute a dime.

The PR of a substantial donation would do them some good, but they don't need the PR, they've got money rolling in no matter what.

Would love to go back to Paris for a visit, but sounds like it's gotten worse in terms of gypsies and fast food. There wasn't any Starbucks or Subway when I last visited! And now, no Notre Dame.........just glad it's mostly intact. It has survived all these millennia, it'll keep on going.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Out of the brew but I don't care. Lustrous! Nice joint, too. Good acoustics.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel

I love music

Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Out of the brew but I don't care. Lustrous! Nice joint, too. Good acoustics.
    L'avenue Georges-Mandel 16e. Hughes Hubbard & Reed on the same avenue as Vigne, a classmate of mine with a front room size of a football grid. The grand piano was the size of a dot throwing a neuf ball before formal dinners. The Grande before the grand. But I give D-Major an okay on this one.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    [QUOTE=Eretz;5312860]L'avenue Georges-Mandel 16e. Hughes Hubbard & Reed on the same avenue as Vigne, a classmate of mine with a front room size of a football grid. The grand piano was the size of a dot throwing a neuf ball before formal dinners. The Grande before the grand. But I give D-Major an okay on this one.

I actually have a recording of those dudes doing that piece. I actually listened to it a couple of nights ago. Cue Rod Serling.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Cue Rod Serling.
    Señal Antonina Miliukova. Raison d'être

Call me.
    signed,
    Alexa(™)

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Over time.

Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast