Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is Burning
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Notre Dame Cathedral In Paris Is Burning

check web news services

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    GOD IS MAD

Pick your imaginary reason, and stick with that

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It's gone

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    GOD IS MAD

Pick your imaginary reason, and stick with that
    Next time anyone says "We're praying to god for ______", the obvious response must be "Yea how'd that work out for the Notre Dame? What makes you more special?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Taking religion out of the equation, it's a significant historical loss, and while virtually everything in the universe could be considered ephemeral, I would not have expected this for centuries more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hope the Hunchback wasn't harmed...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Is there nothing Trump won't weigh in on.. he suggests using air tankers to put the fire out.. because dropping what is essentially the weight of at least half an Olympic pools worth of water on the root of a building on fire would work.. and not flatten it completely.. not to mention it is not just water but also flame retardant, in a heavily populated area with stores and restaurants and people and cars and all sorts of other things.. the building would have burned to the ground long before people could be evacuated..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Is there nothing Trump won't weigh in on.. he suggests using air tankers to put the fire out.. because dropping what is essentially the weight of at least half an Olympic pools worth of water on the root of a building on fire would work.. and not flatten it completely.. not to mention it is not just water but also flame retardant, in a heavily populated area with stores and restaurants and people and cars and all sorts of other things.. the building would have burned to the ground long before people could be evacuated..
    Couldn't get his hump into the water tanker's pilot's seat.

I'm sure most of us being human can think of iconic structures we'd hate to lose. I know it will be rebuilt, but a damn shame for something that has survived so long. Imagine if the Pyramids suddenly fell into a less pyramidy shape?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Very sad loss. I was just there (in Paris) with my family last summer. I'm glad my boys were able to see ND before this happened. That being said, I imagine this event will be a catalyst for the much need renovation of the cathedral. It has has deteriorated quite a bit recently and is in desperate need of maintenance.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimV View Post
    That being said, I imagine this event will be a catalyst for the much need renovation of the cathedral. It has has deteriorated quite a bit recently and is in desperate need of maintenance.
    It was under renovation. And it's believed the fire may be be linked to the renovation

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yesterday I heard about a fire in the basement of St. John the Divine in NYC, odd coincidence.

At least this isn't terrorism, but in a way it makes it more frustrating, because you'd think the renovation work was being done carefully enough to avoid this tragedy. Truly heartbreaking.

As for raising money for its renovation, wtf is the point of the vatican's immense riches?! They could sell a few paintings and cover the billions needed to renovate, or is this their way of getting insurance to cover the cost?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I'm going with 'gOD is MAD" ...AS HELL!
    That dumb POS should had told us sooner.
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post

As for raising money for its renovation, wtf is the point of the vatican's immense riches?! They could sell a few paintings and cover the billions needed to renovate, or is this their way of getting insurance to cover the cost?
    People shouldn't give a penny. The Catholic Church is worth $100 billion

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    But they will. Even though it is no longer part of the modern church (and not just Catholic) some still have a notion of buying your way unto God.

I always liked the book and movie "Shoes Of The Fisherman" but those were only a book and a movie.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    It's all other people's money... money given to them by morons. The pope is basically Jim Bakker on steroids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    U people are cruel. For some of us, the sinking of the Titanic (anniversary today) or the Peloponnesian war are still fresh wounds. At least there are no deaths reported at this hour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Couldn't get his hump into the water tanker's pilot's seat.

I'm sure most of us being human can think of iconic structures we'd hate to lose. I know it will be rebuilt, but a damn shame for something that has survived so long. Imagine if the Pyramids suddenly fell into a less pyramidy shape?
    or imagine if ISIS destroyed countless cultural antiquities out of sheer hate...

RoadBikeReview Member
    exactly.

the Vatican could sell off a minute fraction of its wealth and cure all kinds of ills in the world.

but, they'll squeeze the 'faithful' for a lot of money to rebuild the Cathedral...and skim off a nice chunk of change in the process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    visited that church once. Maybe they will rebuild it as Paris has little left from before the 2nd Empire (not a bad thing) like this church.

If I believed in karma and fairies I would say this burning is penance for the church's crusade against the Albigensians in the 13th century (a million person religious genocide). But it's a pretty and interesting building and a lot of water has gone under the bridge.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    what a waste of money. It was God's will to have it burnt down. something about building false idols and such sh!t. Just move on and let the Catholics buy their own properties.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    exactly.

the Vatican could sell off a minute fraction of its wealth and cure all kinds of ills in the world.

but, they'll squeeze the 'faithful' for a lot of money to rebuild the Cathedral...and skim off a nice chunk of change in the process.
    The French Government owns the Cathedral, not the Catholic Church, as note.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    what a waste of money. It was God's will to have it burnt down. something about building false idols and such sh!t. Just move on and let the Catholics buy their own properties.
    Excepting that the structure itself is a work of art. The Rose windows are beautiful and there’s no info yet on if they were damaged. Same with the gargoyles.

Some of the most moving images Ive seen tonight are of the people of Paris, young and old, kneeling and praying. They recognize the importance of this building in their history and cultural.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    these things happen whether by design or circumstance. and stuff does get rebuilt. in any case, an iconic building in an iconic city.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast