Now that the Polar Vortex is gonna KILL MOST OF US... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It was 33 degrees on my commute this morning. I had to put on my windproof pants AND a jacket

My toes got a little tingly. I could have died of frostbite. Pray for me for my ride home, it might only warm up to 50 today.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    -32 expected tomorrow night, -56 up nort. Cold enuf for ya?
    I don't think I have every experienced -30s before, though I have ridden in -20 a few times. So a new experience for me, I guess, on the bright side?
    Stout beers under trees, please.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I don't think I have every experienced -30s before, though I have ridden in -20 a few times. So a new experience for me, I guess, on the bright side?
    -40 is the same on both temperature scales, so there's no need to indicate C or F. I've been outside in -40 air temps precisely once, which simply put, hurts. Pins and needles!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I once rode 274 miles of 8% grades for 10 hours against a 60 MPH headwind during blizzard conditions with 17 foot drifts and an ambient air temperature of -43F but if you tell kids that today, they won't believe you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Canada's way of handling the Alberta clipper that is bring us the snow/cold:

While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    I plan on going outside to play. The windchill is going to be 5 degrees colder than I have ever experienced so why the F not.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    -40 is a fun temperature; "Is that Celsius or Fahrenheit?" "Yes!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I can't complain too much as it was only down to 6F this morning. Of course, I was outside futzing with frozen water pumps and groundwater samples at the time so perhaps I WAS colder than many of my midwestern friends.

I think the coldest I've ever experienced was -25F, just walking around outside. I have gone XC skiing in -15F but it was calm and sunny so felt surprisingly warm. I've also gone snowboarding twice in the minus teens but I'm less dedicated than that now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    for those who survive...

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, I survived several years driving tractor-trailers up to remote paper mills in northern Ontario and Quebec, as well as the Great Blizzard of 1977, so I'll survive......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    … because current society reacts to "name branding" like a pack of Pavlovian dogs and the media loves to see us drool. 20 years ago, they branded "Alberta Clipper". 20 years before that they used the word "cold". 20 years from now it will be "Mega Polar Super Storm Vortex Death Cloud".
    Actually, in WI, this will be the coldest weather in several decades. I have seen it colder than this and I don't really like it.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Chicago is looking at an all time record low, however, I have been around longer than wind chill. Good thing that it was not a thing in the 50's and 60's

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I have been around longer than wind chill.
    Damn. You are old...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Damn. You are old...
    … was there when God said "Let There Be Light"...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    How the weatherman gave forecasts back in the day.

https://youtu.be/wVuJ4YtD7LA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    This was such a successful schtick that he did this well into the digital HD era, because he could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwIGxrunFE

Frog Whisperer
    I think it was 1985 or 86, we had a stretch of actual - 35 with winds that literally closed the roads around us. At that point we didn't even have a furnace, we had a 1 or 2 year old, a 4 yr old and a 5 1/2 yr old. We did have running water at that point. Those were the good ole days! (seriously, that is all true)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it was 1985 or 86, we had a stretch of actual - 35 with winds that literally closed the roads around us. At that point we didn't even have a furnace, we had a 1 or 2 year old, a 4 yr old and a 5 1/2 yr old. We did have running water at that point. Those were the good ole days! (seriously, that is all true)
    It was either '75 or '77 that those of us with gas heat were treated to the first ever and never repeated system wide low pressure semi fail. Line pressure would not allow furnace burners to ignite, so we used kerosene heaters downstairs which trickled just enuff heat upstairs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post

https://youtu.be/wVuJ4YtD7LA
    Back then forecasts were based on tea leaves and tarot cards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chicago is looking at an all time record low, however, I have been around longer than wind chill. Good thing that it was not a thing in the 50's and 60's
    Yeah, I think the weather person said that we're going to be looking at the coldest recorded weather in the history of the world here in Chicago. I sure am happy that I'm not bundling up and heading for work these days.

Were cold windy days warmer in the 50's and 60's?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post

Were cold windy days warmer in the 50's and 60's?

Nope, and we only wore bearskins lined with beaver fat, but we kept warm by constantly rubbing two sticks together to light camp fires.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Now that the Polar Vortex is gonna KILL MOST OF US...

I'll be happy if it just kills off all of the invasive insects (stink bugs, spotted lantern flies, and emerald ash borers) as well as most of the mosquitoes, ticks, & black flies.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alane View Post
    now that the polar vortex is gonna kill most of us...

I'll be happy if it just kills off all of the invasive insects (stink bugs, spotted lantern flies, and emerald ash borers) as well as most of the mosquitoes, ticks, & black flies but they, unfortunately found haven in my attic and crawl space... damn you mother nature and your survival of the fittest!!!.
    … fify

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Now that the Polar Vortex is gonna KILL MOST OF US...

I'll be happy if it just kills off all of the invasive insects (stink bugs, spotted lantern flies, and emerald ash borers) as well as most of the mosquitoes, ticks, & black flies.
    Ain't gonna happen. Just sayin ....

I've lived in Minnesota my whole life, and this certainly isn't the worst we've seen. I remember the winter of 96' well, where we had 2 or 3 stretches of at least a week where it never got above 0F and it was -25F every night. My wife's car stayed in the parking lot at her work for over a week because it wouldn't start (crappy 80's era Chevette that she inherited from her parents). I was doing a 10-mile commute to work via bike year-round in those days too.

Funny thing is that I don't remember schools and businesses closing back in 96' during these "cold snaps" like they have been this time around.

It's all relative. My daughter is up in Winnipeg going to school, and she says they've been in this polar vortex for weeks already. They are hitting -30F and below up there, which is "normal" up there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast