Now that the Polar Vortex is gonna KILL MOST OF US...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

… any last words?

I kinda wish I was a robot like "Bender" from "Futurama" so I could tell you all to "Bite My Shiny Metal ASS".

Frog Whisperer
    We dragged a few days worth of firewood in yesterday, by the weekend dark sky is predicting low to mid 40's......rebound!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    I am in Lincoln NE.. single digits for most of the week, with the wind chill.. negative single, and on Wed neg double digits...

FML and kill now me... I guess I am no longer allowed to complain about DCs cold.. why did I take this project again...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Why is the Polar Vortex suddenly a huge worry? Seems like this happens every year.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Why is the Polar Vortex suddenly a huge worry? Seems like this happens every year.
    … because current society reacts to "name branding" like a pack of Pavlovian dogs and the media loves to see us drool. 20 years ago, they branded "Alberta Clipper". 20 years before that they used the word "cold". 20 years from now it will be "Mega Polar Super Storm Vortex Death Cloud".

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    I am in Lincoln NE.. single digits for most of the week, with the wind chill.. negative single, and on Wed neg double digits...

FML and kill now me... I guess I am no longer allowed to complain about DCs cold.. why did I take this project again...
    Srsly? I'd offer to take you on a bike ride around Our Fair City....but....it is a wee chilly out there. Good news is most of the paths are clear of snow/ice at this point.

Get thee to the Boiler Room if you haven't. Otherwise head up to Nebraska Brewing Company.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Srsly? I'd offer to take you on a bike ride around Our Fair City....but....it is a wee chilly out there. Good news is most of the paths are clear of snow/ice at this point.

Get thee to the Boiler Room if you haven't. Otherwise head up to Nebraska Brewing Company.
    Yeah, there ought to be a bar or coffee shop on O Street where he can warm up. Is Barrymore’s still open???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Yeah, there ought to be a bar or coffee shop on O Street where he can warm up. Is Barrymore’s still open???

Wee cold..... WEEEEE.. this is hell... Sadly.. my wife made me turn down the Puerto Rico project.. 6 weeks there would have been much nicer.. at 70 to 80....

I'm downtown in the Marriott Husker, so at least I don't have to walk outside, I can use the indoor walkways, although it takes 30 min to walk those to the Zombie Mall.. I mean State gov office, where I could walk it outside, it's like 3 blocks in 5 min..

Oddly, I have not been to either of the locations listed (well I don't drink coffee, so that is out). Mostly steak houses, Mistys and Single Barrel. I was travelling out here every other week for about 6 months till Dec, then managed to work remotely from home.. sadly I had to come in this week... I am not happy

This was me when they opened the plane door...

What the what???

Barrymore’s is a little tough to find (tucked away), but worth it. It used to be the backstage of an old theatre... fly lines, resistance dimmer... converted to a nice bar. But I haven’t been to Lincoln since 2000, so it may have closed.

If it makes you feel better, the wind chill here Wednesday is predicted to hit -45.

The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Wee cold..... WEEEEE.. this is hell... Sadly.. my wife made me turn down the Puerto Rico project.. 6 weeks there would have been much nicer.. at 70 to 80....

I'm downtown in the Marriott Husker, so at least I don't have to walk outside, I can use the indoor walkways, although it takes 30 min to walk those to the Zombie Mall.. I mean State gov office, where I could walk it outside, it's like 3 blocks in 5 min..

Oddly, I have not been to either of the locations listed (well I don't drink coffee, so that is out). Mostly steak houses, Mistys and Single Barrel. I was travelling out here every other week for about 6 months till Dec, then managed to work remotely from home.. sadly I had to come in this week... I am not happy

This was me when they opened the plane door...

Well, Sunday it might break 60F. Brought a bike?

Boiler Room is in the basement of the old federal building: https://www.boilerbrewingcompany.com/
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Well, Sunday it might break 60F. Brought a bike?

Boiler Room is in the basement of the old federal building: https://www.boilerbrewingcompany.com/
    I leave Thursday.. hopefully never to return.. at least not until Summer.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Now that the Polar Vortex is gonna KILL MOST OF US...-p-vtex.jpg

Chill like this may mean there would be less insects this coming summer. Fine by me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    75F and sunny here in central TX...

I think we've had 5 hours of below freezing this winter.

brutal.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    … because current society reacts to "name branding" like a pack of Pavlovian dogs and the media loves to see us drool. 20 years ago, they branded "Alberta Clipper". 20 years before that they used the word "cold". 20 years from now it will be "Mega Polar Super Storm Vortex Death Cloud".
    How's an old man like I'll be gonna deal with it being that kinda cold. Now I'm worried sick.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    e "Mega Polar Super Storm Vortex Death Cloud".
    I think you should trademark this phrase so when the Weather Channel starts using it you can charge them royalties

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    How's an old man like I'll be gonna deal with it being that kinda cold.

Master debator.
    -32 expected tomorrow night, -56 up nort. Cold enuf for ya? We'll be complaining about the heat soon enough.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Is that all? Just branding? I mean, I remember studying weather patterns in 5th and 6th grade (20 years ago) and remember that Alberta Clippers were a specific type of storm, similar to a Nor'Easter or as it pertained to Michigan, a Lake Effect snowstorm. The first storm I can recall being branded as a Polar Vortex was the first winter I was married; the 2013/14 winter, and it referred to a specific circular pattern that captured and held precipitation (snow) over the Great Lakes for a week or so; similar to the El Nino rains we had in the spring of 2000 (that landed and just hovered over us for about a week...but then, every winter I've been married, we've had a storm called The Polar Vortex that bears no resemblance whatsoever to the specific storm we had that destroyed my car and gave me frostbite in 2014.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As much as I don't like this idea it'll make that "Mega Polar Super Storm Vortex Death Cloud" easier to deal with.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Is that all? Just branding? I mean, I remember studying weather patterns in 5th and 6th grade (20 years ago) and remember that Alberta Clippers were a specific type of storm, similar to a Nor'Easter or as it pertained to Michigan, a Lake Effect snowstorm.

As scientific meterological terms, I wholly agree, however, I also believe that's a small part of why TV meterologists use these terms. Their intent is viewership driven. One local station promises "To Inform You, Not To Scare You", then labels a storm report as a "Red Alert".

For something as dynamic as day to day or even minute by minute reporting, I don't require the wild swings from Meterology 101 to "Weather For Dummies Too STooPid To No Thay are Dummies".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    75F and sunny here in central TX...

I think we've had 5 hours of below freezing this winter.

brutal.
    But it's still Texas.

brutal
    Too old to ride plastic

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    As scientific meterological terms, I wholly agree, however, I also believe that's a small part of why TV meterologists use these terms. Their intent is viewership driven. One local station promises "To Inform You, Not To Scare You", then labels a storm report as a "Red Alert".

For something as dynamic as day to day or even minute by minute reporting, I don't require the wild swings from Meterology 101 to "Weather For Dummies Too STooPid To No Thay are Dummies".
    Hell, I can remember when the National Weather Service asked that The Weather Channel stop giving names to all these winter storms.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

My understanding is that the Polar Vortex was "discovered" back in the mid 1800's but the term was first jumped on by the media in the very cold winter of 2014. They learned it's good for ratings and a great way to sell bread, eggs, and milk. Since that time, they've added to the list with the "Bomb Cyclone"

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    My understanding is that the Polar Vortex was "discovered" back in the mid 1800's but the term was first jumped on by the media in the very cold winter of 2014. They learned it's good for ratings and a great way to sell bread, eggs, and milk. Since that time, they've added to the list with the "Bomb Cyclone"
    Anything to cause panic and raise ratings... Storm of the Century, jan 2019 edition...
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Seat's not level
    What it is... Attachment 324658

How the weather person describes it...
    Attachment 324659
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast