Observation of the day: roofers donít pee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Off the back

Observation of the day: roofers donít pee

Weíre re-roofing our home and noticed the roofing crew does not ask to use our bathroom. No portapotty and they never leave the site. Just up there traipsing around and hammering. Maybe they sweat it all out and get dehydrated. Seems unhealthy to me.

They like to leave old and new nails lying around. Iíve seen many on my driveway. I just hope my kids or I donít find one ďthe hard wayĒ on the grass.

We otherwise like the quality of their work. They move to the second story today. A$$ bustin job. Those guys are tough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dude, they're peeing in your backyard!

corning my own beef
    Oh, roofers pee .....

they just don't come down off the roof to do it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to be a roofer. We peed...anywhere except in the bucket of hot tar.

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    Oh, roofers pee .....

they just don't come down off the roof to do it.
    Yup, have fun cleaning the gutters!
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
    -Isaac Asimov

waterproof*
    I worked as a roofer's helper (age 15) one Texas summer. For 3 days.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    Yup, have fun cleaning the gutters!
    Couldn't be any worse than the rabid raccoon **** and dead pigeons on my roof now.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Tig
    Clear Lake, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    I worked as a roofer's helper (age 15) one Texas summer. For 3 days.
    Motivated you to do better in school and get a decent edjumacation, right?

Mine was a summer scraping barnacles off boat bottoms and other fun boat work.
    "There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
    -Isaac Asimov

RoadBikeReview Member
    My favorite quote seen on the wall of a construction site porta potty...

"Work hard piss fast
    Zip up haul a$s"

had it in the ear before
    Quote Originally Posted by New_World_Man
    My favorite quote seen on the wall of a construction site porta potty...

"Work hard piss fast
    Zip up haul a$s"
    i read "all turds less than 6" must be hand lowered"
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Roofer Bombs AKA Trucker Bombs!

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I was a roofer for a summer.... gutters.........

and if it was a flat roof.... drains.......
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do not open the empty tar buckets.

n00bsauce
    BTW, make sure they run a wheeled magnet around the premises before they finish. A good crew would not leave nails on the driveway at the end of the day. Did you have a tear off or did they roof over the old shingles? If it was a tear off did they lean plywood over the bushes and drape tarps?
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    Trust me, they pee. Just not where you'd expect.

As a former tree worker, I can tell you to be wary of those free wood chips companies give away too. Maybe let them sit a while before you use them in the kids playlot. I'm just saying.....
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    BTW, make sure they run a wheeled magnet around the premises before they finish. A good crew would not leave nails on the driveway at the end of the day. Did you have a tear off or did they roof over the old shingles? If it was a tear off did they lean plywood over the bushes and drape tarps?
    Tear off down to the bare plywood. New flashing all around. Somebody did the roof about twenty years ago, so the plywood looked fine. One kind of cool thing is that it enabled me to replace the three attic fans with new units. Plus, I installed a switched (thermostat set to lowest setting) one over the garage.

We brought our painter in to sand/prime/paint the fascias, before the new edge flashings went on. That worked out well. Either the painters or the roofers draped tarps on many of our plants, resulting in some severe bending but no breakage. I'll need to drive in some supporting stakes.

It appears the staple/nail debris got confined to the driveway, where they placed a huge garbabe container. Hopefully my grass is far enough from the house that they didn't sling nails in that direction. Never knew about a wheeled magnet. I'll ask if they can run one.

No gutters, so they likely use the drain vent pipes. Hate to think what they do about dealing with a number two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They are just waiting to test for leaks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I believe they aren't allowed to use the clients restrooms. Thats why most are required to provide their own porta potties. At least in my area.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd
    Hate to think what they do about dealing with a number two.
    That's easy. That's what vent pipes are for.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd
    No gutters, so they likely use the drain vent pipes. Hate to think what they do about dealing with a number two.
    Yup, aiming practice. Notice I said practice. If they are backpackers and into Leave No Trace principals, they'll do fine. Wait for a couple of good storms otherwise.

half-fast
    You probably have a tree or something.

I usually have an outhouse, but right now do not. We make it work. We also learn early on that people do not like to share their private spaces with dirty manual labor types, and so do not ask.

Two trucks parked side by side work, also.

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203
    We also learn early on that people do not like to share their private spaces with dirty manual labor types, and so do not ask.
    Some people are mean. We let workers use our half bath, it's right by the garage door, so it's convenient and easy to get to.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    Some people are mean. We let workers use our half bath, it's right by the garage door, so it's convenient and easy to get to.
    Occasionally people are upfront about that, and it makes it nice. We appreciate that.

Do you have a trail of skittles leading to it?

This summer a very nice person had not only a half bath, but a fridge full of water and other drinks (no beerz, but I did go home with a bottle of vino from them) for the crew building the grandchildren's playhouse. They were very nice people. In return, we didn't pee on their lawn.

/That sounds so nasty when I say it like that.

Slightly Opinionated
    When the guys built the addition on my family's place on the lake (I happened to live there at the time for grad school) I told the guys to use the bathrooms, the fridge for water and ice, and I even bought them a couple cases of beer for the ends of the days.

They were utterly thrilled. Bent over backwards to make sure things went smoothly for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Two groups of people you don't piss off:
    people handling you food
    and
    people building your house
    both have the opportunity to really F with you and you may never know it.
    This is gunna be interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    "Friendo, I have learned one thing in acquiring wisdom. Its heavy, and it makes my back hurt. Please pass the pitcher!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast