Thread: The Office

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

The Office

I'm re-watching the series (again). Though, this time, I'm watching it through the lens of each character being a relatively normal person, but acting outside their norms in front of the documentary crew.

The first time I watched the series was when it was broadcast on TV, it was as though they were caricatures; completely made up, and that the characters were the same on-screen as they were off. Then, I got into buying the DVD's and watching the commentaries. Then, the show became idle background noise when it was on Netflix.

But, this time, I'm actively trying to watch the series and pick up on things I'd missed before. And, I gotta say, it's going great!

Michael Scott - Regional Manger. On the surface, the man is a huge liability to DMI, and probably should've fired in Season 4, if not earlier. However, as the show keeps reminding us, Scranton is consistently the most profitable branch. The inference is that there's a LOT that we're not seeing, and that he probably gets away with more because of his profitability. Michael is a showboat; an attention wh0re if you will. So, all the ludicrous antics that we're shown are just the most wild and crazy shenanigans that he mustered up in his 7 seasons of the show, and he's an effective boss behind the scenes. He's got the company in his heart, and will do anything for his workers.

Dwight Schrute - Assistant To The Regional Manager. He's genuinely an odd duck; possibly on the spectrum due to the fact that he can't take social cues, and has a hard time relating to others. But, that's not what I really focused on. His character is actually that weird, and Rainn Wilson has some chops in being able to portray Dwight's unflinching weirdness.

Jim Halpert - Sales guy. Early on (before Season 4...S4 seemed to be a line of demarcation in the series), Jim was written incredibly open-ended. Not a lot of character development early on, but followed the Twilight model of building a character integral to the story, but ambiguous enough so that the reader (viewer) can put himself into the shoes of the character. Later on, after he and Pam get together, he develops into a more forceful presence. I can't decide if it's because John Krasinski got better at acting, or if that was on the writers. But, again, he seems to put up this obnoxious front simply for the cameras.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I've always liked the series, and I've been watching some of the latest run on the Comedy Channel. It seems that people who don't work in an office/cubicle setting (such as my wife, an RN, and my bike shop buddies) don't get it. They got away with a lot of stuff. (Michael meeting Karen from the other branch - "Ooh, you look kinda exotic - was your dad a GI?")

Go to U-Tube and watch the video on Jim Halpert's pranks. Quite hilarious.

I always thought the corporate folks (Jan and David Wallace) were kinda unbelievable. But again, as you say, the Scranton branch seemed to get results.

So what's your take on Meredith, the office Ho?

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I've always liked the series, and I've been watching some of the latest run on the Comedy Channel. It seems that people who don't work in an office/cubicle setting (such as my wife, an RN, and my bike shop buddies) don't get it. They got away with a lot of stuff. (Michael meeting Karen from the other branch - "Ooh, you look kinda exotic - was your dad a GI?")

Go to U-Tube and watch the video on Jim Halpert's pranks. Quite hilarious.

I always thought the corporate folks (Jan and David Wallace) were kinda unbelievable. But again, as you say, the Scranton branch seemed to get results.

So what's your take on Meredith, the office Ho?
    Meredith is a simple lower-class gal...I can't say if she's rural, or ghetto. But, her lower-class upbringing and lifestyle is evident in the things she holds dear (inviting Michael and DeAngelo in for breakfast at a moment's notice shows a great deal of pride in what she has, and shows that she sees everyone as equal).

I absolutely LOVED the David Wallace character, in this watch through! His incredulous facial expressions, constantly, when Michael is coming up with harebrained schemes, are wonderful! The subtle eye rolls, the WTF hands, the furrowed brow. Andy Buckley did great in that role!

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post

I absolutely LOVED the David Wallace character, in this watch through! His incredulous facial expressions, constantly, when Michael is coming up with harebrained schemes, are wonderful! The subtle eye rolls, the WTF hands, the furrowed brow. Andy Buckley did great in that role!
    His demise after being fired was hilarious too, culminating with the invention of the SuckIt! 😁

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Ah, who else?

Kelly Erin Hannon - During my first watchthrough, I felt like they were hinting at her being Michael's daughter...but then, they inserted that plotline about Phyllis giving up a daughter in high school. But, we also know that Phyllis and Michael went to high school together. I felt like that was something that could've been explored in a LOT more depth later on in the series, but they took the easy way out by making Joan Cusack her mom. But, going back to her character, she's incredibly naive, and is a very good-hearted, pure person. I think the quirks that she exhibits are her character being nervous in front of a camera.

Creed Bratton - I've always been intrigued by the character of Creed. He's essentially playing himself, in the context of the show. He's dismissed as being the crazy old man, but has demonstrated an impeccable memory ("Decapitated. Whole big thing. We had a funeral for a bird."). To that, Jim responds with "I'm pretty sure none of that happened." What I can't figure out is why this character was included...There aren't any Creed-centric episodes, he's a perennial background character. We don't know anything about this character, like we do with every other employee of DMI.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Having watched some of Michael Scott's commentaries, methinks he'd be a Trump supporter. He made more than a few comments about idolizing how Donald ran his companies, and how he tried to run the Scranton branch similar to Trump's portrayal on The Apprentice. Granted, that never came to pass, but it's there.

Robert California or Bob Kazamakis came off as creepy the first few times I watched the series. But, I began reading Office blogs and trivia sections, and realized that this is exactly how the writers (and Spader himself) wanted the character to come across. The viewer (that's me) is supposed to be uncomfortable watching him. Once I realized that, the last couple of seasons became a LOT more enjoyable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Great show, also this is probably the rare example of the US remaking a show (especially from the UK) where the US version is good, in this case better than the original. Normally they screw it up completely, where as I found the UK version cringworthy, and the US version hilarious.
    All the gear and no idea

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Great show, also this is probably the rare example of the US remaking a show (especially from the UK) where the US version is good, in this case better than the original. Normally they screw it up completely, where as I found the UK version cringworthy, and the US version hilarious.
    In Season 1 of the US series, you can see a lot of influence from the UK series. But, starting with Michael's haircut in Season 2, they really tried to flesh out the characters as being different from David Brent, et. al. in the UK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2019
    I love both UK version and US remake, but the first one seems funnier to me because it reminds me of an office I worked once
    Cats have 32 muscles in each ear, to help them ignore you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I love the US version. I have tried the UK version but have a terrible time with the accents.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
    I love the US version. I have tried the UK version but have a terrible time with the accents.
    I've watched the UK version a few times. I typically enjoy the dry British humour, but I could never really get into The Office. Ricky Gervais is funny in very, very small doses.