The Official Beer Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oct 2005

The Official Beer Thread

with all the talk about beer in here lately, i thought this thread was a necessity. who knows, if it gets impressive enough, it might even warrant 'sticky status'
    Basically, i love beer. I'm an athlete first, i do 24 hour races, road races, i race in running, up to half marathon, etc etc etc, but i really like beer. i'm about quality, not quantity. if i'm out gettin drunk w/friends, i don't drink beer anyways. too bloaty and too many empty calories. more often i'll stick with somethin like white rum and 7up.
    i am young and my beer experience is short/limited, but i'm always up for finding out about new kinds.
    RIGHT NOW, a couple of my internationally-available fav's are:
    Innis & Gunn oak-aged beer: this honey-hued endinburgh ale is aged like malt whiskey, in oak barrels, to pick up the flavor of the grain. this is the smoothest, sweetest beer you could hope for. the after-taste is the best of any beer i've ever had. to the point where i don't even eat while drinking this one.

Wichwood Hobgoblin Imported Beer: the color is what caught my attention from this one. it shines a glowing red. definitely full-bodied with a hint of bitterness. it balances that bitterness with a hint of chocolate malt taste.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    cmatcan - I have to ask this - What the H%ll is that in your avatar??

Mar 2006

neophyte

well -
    I like Newcastle draft
    smithwicks is nice too

guiness is still too bitter for me - I prefer smooth

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelamb
    well -
    I like Newcastle draft
    smithwicks is nice too

guiness is still too bitter for me - I prefer smooth
    really...how do you feel about heineken? bet you hate it. i think usually people that don't like guinness wouldn't like heiny either.
    newcastle is nice, though, definitely. never tried smithwicks.

Mar 2006

uhm...

Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    really...how do you feel about heineken? bet you hate it. i think usually people that don't like guinness wouldn't like heiny either.
    newcastle is nice, though, definitely. never tried smithwicks.

LOL- I would never put my mouth on a heiny....

dirty dirty dirty....ech

you should try smithwicks- irish beer- medium dark - very very smooth - chocolatey

ymmmmm

Oct 2005
    definitely, i'll look it up. i'm kinda lucky living in the canadian rockies, in that i can stick with a lot of locally brewed stuff, but i always make an effort to try some serious imports too. i'm taking aolcoholism world-wide, baby!!! jk. no, really. jk.

Gronk SMASH!

Coopers

A friend from Oz bought me a sixer of this stuff once. Tastes great and it was the best beer buzz I've ever had. Very tangible, stimulating buzz. Tingly.
    And it's got the same name as ThinkCooper.
    (P.S.: do a search. Lotsa fave beer threads out there)
    ... and so it goes

Mar 2006
    cmat I know you might be kind of on the wrong end of Canada because theyre from Quebec but what about Unibroue? their Maudite a strong red ale and its pretty incredible. bottle conditioned, spiced, not super hoppy but very very smooth. some say it ages well too if you're into that kind of thing (I'm not).

I totally quit drinking anything beyond a good, and I mean good beer every once in awhile for a treat. Ive got some Left Hand Imperial Stout in the fridge, a 4 pack and its been in there over a week and theres still 2 bottles left. thank buddha the roommate can't stand dark beer, but then he's a fizzy yellow beer kinda guy.

Where Are We Eating?

Wolf in sheep's clothing

My favorite for the last couple of years- Avery Brewing's The Reverend Belgian Quadruple. It goes down so smooth you'll want to drink it fast, but be careful. At 10% Abv it'll knock ya down. Tastes more like a 7% ale, not too sweet like some quads, and full of flavor. Sometimes hard to find but worth it. BevMo usually has it.

RoadBikeReview Member

I live in Germany

Here in the one of the beer centers of the world, I typicaly will drink only beer on tap. My favorites are from some of the 600 year old breweries in Munich. Augustiner, named after the monks who first brewed it, is perhaps the best Helles (Lager) beer in the world. Pilsner beers are also fantastic in Germany. Herforder is my current favorite. At some point, I will go to the Czech Republic and visit the town of Pils and Budweis to pay homage and get drunk. For me beer has to come from a tap to be the best is can be. Cheers!

Government Mule
    I like green beer!
    I'll give you my Vincent to ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I concur... Smithwicks is very nice. One area that I travel to on business has it well stocked, and since they don't have micro-breweries like I have in Stumptown (re: Beervana), I take what I can get... and this is a very nice substitute!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agreed... beer is best served from the tap. It is also best served at the correct temperatures. In other words, don't put that Guiness on ice!!!

Some day I must travel to Germany, and lose myself in the pubs...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not much of fan of ales or wheat beers, I'm more a porter, stout, dobblebock and black lager kind of guy. The beer laws just changed in NC last year allowing higher alcohol content beers. Thank goodness. I no longer have to bootleg my beer from Virginia. But I still buy stuff I can't get here in NC...mostly Troegs Troegenator and a few German beers that I can barely pronounce, let alone spell.

My favorite right now is Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. It's and Imperial Porter at 9.5%. I can only drink one of those a night and it takes me about an hour. Talk about a smooth, flavorful beer. I heard that Duck Rabbit, a local brewery, is going to have an Imperial Porter available soon. I can't wait for that as the Gonzo Porter is hard to find.

I've got about a case and half of beer in my house now. A 12 pack of Troegenator, about 9 Weisensomethingorother Korbisomethingorother...I told you I couldn't spell them. Ayinger Celebrator, Spaten Optimator and some other stuff I can't remember right now...mostly singles.

The guys I play poker with give me hard time because I always bring my own beer. Most of them drink Bud Light or Miller Lite. I've got a couple of buddies who bring 40's of Colt 45 or Old English 800 to the poker games. Last time I had a 40 was at my friend's batchelor party...he bought one for each of us.

Jul 2005

Quiet, daddy's drinking

Fav's at this time.

I have been drinking more heavy bodied beers during the winter. My favorites for the time being are Trappistes Rochefort 10, good representative of high alcohol Belgian beer, Bells Batch 7000, a micro brew double stout from Wisconsin, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, the thickest, blackest cup of tar I have ever had, and Dinkel Acker Dark, a very smooth and creamy german dark.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

my legs hurt
    So i have a story to tell: A few years ago i went to Mt. Sutton outside of Montreal for spring break. my friends and i went skiing/snowboarding from around 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Then would usually retire to a bar for a round of good drinking from 4:00pm, to around 9 or 10 (except on the nights we went to Montreal to go to the strip clubs).
    Anyways, at the local bar we found, along with an extremely hot bartender, a nice selection of Alexander Keiths ale's and I have to say that the AK india pale ale was possibly one of the best IPA I have ever had. dont get me wrong, the other selections were decent as well but we would order pitcher after pitcher of that IPA and the 10 of us actually killed their supply in two days and had to wait another day for the delivery....tasty beer, if you ever get a chance get yourself a pint:

now for other beers that "taste" good: if you want to relive your college years, get a case of Millwaukie best, or maybe some Natural light, some plastic cups and chug each cup as fast as you can...

Also, try steelhead micro-brewery in Eugene, OR for some very decent beer.
    I THINK PERHAPS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND. PEOPLE'S WHOLE LIVES DO PASS IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES BEFORE THEY DIE. THE PROCESS IS CALLED "LIVING."

Coco Puff
    Quote Originally Posted by jch2112
    My favorite right now is Flying Dog Gonzo Porter. It's and Imperial Porter at 9.5%. I can't wait for that as the Gonzo Porter is hard to find.
    I'll second the Gonzo. Great beer. It has an amazing hop aroma for such a big rich dark malt brew.

Deschutes Jubelale is also very well done.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by rwbadley
    I'll second the Gonzo. Great beer. It has an amazing hop aroma for such a big rich dark malt brew.

Deschutes Jubelale is also very well done.
    I drink pretty much all styles of beer. Lighter in summer, heavier in winter. Not a huge fan of wheat beers tho in general. Stuff I'd be likely to pick up on a regular basis:

Sierra Nevada IPA, Fullers ESB and Pale Ale, Fat Tire Ale (New Belgium), Newcastle Brown, 1554 Black Ale (New Belgium), Biere de Mars (New Belgium), Rogue Morimoto Porter, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, Dale's Pale Ale and Old Chub.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with the Coopers, that is a very nice beer. Avery Rev. on the other hand, The BeerWench just laughed as she walked away saying have fun with this one. It's still a damn fine beer. Has anyone else noticed the higher the % the bigger the bottle. I have a Avery Czar awaiting me after my ride tonight. A Russian Imperial Stout. 12.2% aBV. CORRECTION. It was only 11.02%. The Saucer had the description wrong.
    Last edited by Baron von Locust; 03-16-2006 at 05:59 AM.
    Lost in Texaslation

i don't know

60 minute!

This stuff is beyond tasty....I love IPA's....

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weapons grade chaos
    cmat I know you might be kind of on the wrong end of Canada because theyre from Quebec but what about Unibroue? their Maudite a strong red ale and its pretty incredible. bottle conditioned, spiced, not super hoppy but very very smooth. some say it ages well too if you're into that kind of thing (I'm not).

I totally quit drinking anything beyond a good, and I mean good beer every once in awhile for a treat. Ive got some Left Hand Imperial Stout in the fridge, a 4 pack and its been in there over a week and theres still 2 bottles left. thank buddha the roommate can't stand dark beer, but then he's a fizzy yellow beer kinda guy.
    nice, i'll have to give that frenchy brew a try before the quebec seperatists prevail and i have to pay import tax for it! definitely sounds like my kinda beer, though. anything too hoppy kinda gets boring to me, but it has to have some body to it as well. your drinking habits sound a lot like the direction i'm heading in at this point. i only get trashed when i've earned the right, like the night after a big race. early-morning training is hard enough without any other obstacles (owwww, my headdddd)

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn
    This stuff is beyond tasty....I love IPA's....
    Haven't tried the 60, but I had the 90 the other night...really tasy, but 2 of them gave me a heck of a buzz...strong stuff @ 9% alc. I also discovered that each is about 250 calories...not for everyday drinking with that many calories in it.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaMan
    Agreed... beer is best served from the tap. It is also best served at the correct temperatures. In other words, don't put that Guiness on ice!!!

Some day I must travel to Germany, and lose myself in the pubs...
    agreed...anyone putting any kind of beer on ice needs to be drop-kicked.
    the best way to go, if possible, is to use a glass that's been in the freezer for a while. i swiped a few mugs from A&W in my grade-12 years (last year, lol) and they work awesome. me and my friends would go in, order a few rootbeers, and smuggle the mugs out after in pockets and backpacks. those things can be put in the freezer for a super long time. somethimes i put just about a half-centimetre of water in the bottom before freezing, to make the drink extra cold.

S2H
    wut?
    I love Newcastle. Probably my favorite, but it's kind of expensive.

i don't know
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    Haven't tried the 60, but I had the 90 the other night...really tasy, but 2 of them gave me a heck of a buzz...strong stuff @ 9% alc. I also discovered that each is about 250 calories...not for everyday drinking with that many calories in it.
    Funny, I bought a case of 60 yesterday.....almost picked up the 90 but said to my buddy "If I buy this, I'll be asleep every night by 8...."

Dogfish Head makes some great stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast