• 12-19-2009
    VaughnA
    The Official Blizzard of 09 Photo Thread
    OOooo I have an excuse to poast a few photos. Our total so far, around 14.5 inches but it's starting to snow again. We're lucky on one count, our neighbor has a tractor with a blade. Easily bribed with a couple of beers to scrape the driveway.

    First.. A few from the neighborhood.

    Last night when we only had a couple of inches
    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2761...0089d06c6f.jpg

    Deck Decorations
    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2728...a0d6c10c47.jpg

    The Neighborhood Kids.
    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495...2cd622b161.jpg

    This looks like fun!!

    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2705...4f22be1f6b.jpg

    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2529...cfa5049afd.jpg
  • 12-19-2009
    VaughnA
    I figured out how to shoot from the kitchen window without freezing to death. Cardboard spacer in the window and a hole for the lens. The birds were fighting for food during the storm.

    Sorry for the initial LARGE sizes.. Fixed

    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717...27bb21533a.jpg

    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2639...5a72e9d6e2.jpg

    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2691...7ea92b11e1.jpg

    https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2676...94fea6f7d1.jpg
  • 12-19-2009
    BentChainring
    Thats it? pfft...

    Its 60 degrees here, and you dont see me complaining :)

    //I like the last picture...
  • 12-19-2009
    KenB
    I didn't take the camera outside today so I only have these off of my phone...

    https://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs111..._4909690_n.jpg


    https://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...9_220733_n.jpg

    We've probably picked up another 8" since I took those this morning. There's 16" on my front lawn right now.
  • 12-19-2009
    svend
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KenB

    We've probably picked up another 8" since I took those this morning.

    that's what she said...

    / 70 degrees with some thin high clouds out right now
  • 12-19-2009
    EverydayRide
    Those are great photos guys!!!!!
  • 12-19-2009
    Gregory Taylor
    I'm just south of Washington, DC, and as of 6 pm we have around 20 or so inches of snow.

    And it is still snowing.

    MB1 and Miss M picked a most excellent time to bug out of town.

    I did do the NNC thing in the snow. I've got a mountain bike fixed up with studded snow tires. They work pretty well - if you get up a head of steam you can blast through up to about a foot of unplowed, unpacked snow. Where the roads are plowed, it's a bit tricky, like crossing the wake when you waterski. Rough, and some ruts from cars. I didn't hit the ground, but I did lose the front end a few times from basically going too fast.
  • 12-19-2009
    ElvisMerckx
    2 Attachment(s)
    We're at about 20" and it's still coming down.
  • 12-19-2009
    rward325
    Dang, that looks like fun. We did 42 miles on the coast this morning and it was in the '70's. Cooling off now and in the 60's. don't think it is going to snow here today.
  • 12-19-2009
    VaughnA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KenB
    I didn't take the camera outside today so I only have these off of my phone...

    https://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs111..._4909690_n.jpg

    We've probably picked up another 8" since I took those this morning. There's 16" on my front lawn right now.

    Still a great photo. Those are ROSY cheeks. Someone is having a great time!
  • 12-19-2009
    VaughnA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx
    We're at about 20" and it's still coming down.

    That's a LOT of snow for the east coast. The 14" we got was enough. We're on a minor road, I doubt we'll see a plow until late tomorrow. Until then we're staying home and...
  • 12-19-2009
    PlatyPius
    We have about 1/2". I feel cheated. I don't like winter, but if it's gonna be cold anyway, it might as well snow.
  • 12-19-2009
    MB1
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor
    MB1 and Miss M picked a most excellent time to bug out of town..

    :D

    I'm actually sorry to miss the snowfall but the next few days up there are going to suck big time.
  • 12-19-2009
    The Missus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VaughnA
    That's a LOT of snow for the east coast. The 14" we got was enough. We're on a minor road, I doubt we'll see a plow until late tomorrow. Until then we're staying home and...

    And What, Honey? Oh yeah, cooking tacos and drinking beers... yeah that's it.
  • 12-19-2009
    zmudshark
    Cooking grilled pineapple and tequila/lime scallops on the grill, 35 mile ride and mid 60's now.

    You guys should migrate.
  • 12-19-2009
    ElvisMerckx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VaughnA
    That's a LOT of snow for the east coast. The 14" we got was enough. We're on a minor road, I doubt we'll see a plow until late tomorrow. Until then we're staying home and...

    We get them here in the DC area every 5 years or so. This is about the 5th one I remember since the early '80s.
  • 12-19-2009
    zeytin
    Great picts of the birds Vaughn! I read the Missus note about throwing out the food for them...great idea! I might put out some suet tomorrow if I can make my way to the shed.
    I didn't even leave the house; I was so glad to finally have some time with my husband...it's been a year since we got the restaurant and I think this was our first full day alone.
    It's still snowing here, been constant since last night. Tomorrow I'll take pictures and measurements.
  • 12-19-2009
    VaughnA
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx
    We get them here in the DC area every 5 years or so. This is about the 5th one I remember since the early '80s.

    We usually get one good snow every year around 6-10 inches but it's usually 50 degrees the next day and it's gone. It's not supposed to be above 40 until the end of next week. It looks like we'll have a white Christmas this year. I LOVE this.
  • 12-19-2009
    vonteity
    1 Attachment(s)
    The bump on the left is my mailbox. The bump on the right is my car.

    They're calling for another 6-8" overnight.
  • 12-19-2009
    vonteity
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VaughnA
    That's a LOT of snow for the east coast. The 14" we got was enough. We're on a minor road, I doubt we'll see a plow until late tomorrow. Until then we're staying home and...

    I live directly off Route 1, a snow emergency route. Route 1 is plowed, but my street is not. We are one of the last ones to get plowed (and that's not code). We'll be lucky to see a plow before it melts or before New Years, whichever comes first.

    I may have to work from home next week, the Prius won't even make it to Route 1 without a little help. Getting to the airport on Tuesday could be interesting.
  • 12-19-2009
    The Missus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zeytin
    Great picts of the birds Vaughn! I read the Missus note about throwing out the food for them...great idea! I might put out some suet tomorrow if I can make my way to the shed.
    I didn't even leave the house; I was so glad to finally have some time with my husband...it's been a year since we got the restaurant and I think this was our first full day alone.
    It's still snowing here, been constant since last night. Tomorrow I'll take pictures and measurements.

    I'm glad you got some time to regroup and recoup. Snow days are so good for that. I hope the restaurant is a huge success for you both. It's a tough life, I've heard. I sure enjoyed it last October. We'll have to come back and order form the menu some day.
  • 12-19-2009
    ElvisMerckx
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vonteity
    We are one of the last ones to get plowed (and that's not code). We'll be lucky to see a plow before it melts or before New Years, whichever comes first.

    Because I live on a road that's split between 2 counties we never see plows from either county (seemingly, neither wants to plow the other county's portion). But, we've got a lot of builder-type neighbors with big pick-em-up trucks with plows and even bobcats, & back-hoes (also not code), so we should be clear by 10am tomorrow.

    Oh, and I just went out and measured -- 18 inches and still snowing.
  • 12-19-2009
    EverydayRide
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by vonteity

    ... the Prius won't even make it to Route 1 without a little help. Getting to the airport on Tuesday could be interesting.

    No snow tires for your Prius?
  • 12-19-2009
    murbike
    We got nothing to take pictures of.
    The local weather clowns have been talking about this thing hitting on Saturday afternoon since Thursday.

    Here it is, almost 8.30pm, and not a flake has fallen.

    They're saying that we're going to get 10-15 inches. We'll see about that.
  • 12-19-2009
    Marc
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    No snow tires for your Prius?

    I think part of the problem is more that we can't even tell there is a Prius, due to all the white stuff