The Official Blizzard of 09 Photo Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spicy Dumpling

The Official Blizzard of 09 Photo Thread

OOooo I have an excuse to poast a few photos. Our total so far, around 14.5 inches but it's starting to snow again. We're lucky on one count, our neighbor has a tractor with a blade. Easily bribed with a couple of beers to scrape the driveway.

First.. A few from the neighborhood.

Last night when we only had a couple of inches

Deck Decorations

The Neighborhood Kids.

This looks like fun!!

Last edited by VaughnA; 12-19-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Spicy Dumpling
    I figured out how to shoot from the kitchen window without freezing to death. Cardboard spacer in the window and a hole for the lens. The birds were fighting for food during the storm.

Sorry for the initial LARGE sizes.. Fixed

Last edited by VaughnA; 12-19-2009 at 01:38 PM.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Festina Lente'
    Thats it? pfft...

Its 60 degrees here, and you dont see me complaining

//I like the last picture...
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Palm trees & sunshine!
    I didn't take the camera outside today so I only have these off of my phone...

We've probably picked up another 8" since I took those this morning. There's 16" on my front lawn right now.

supervillain

Genitive Declensioner
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB

We've probably picked up another 8" since I took those this morning.
    that's what she said...

/ 70 degrees with some thin high clouds out right now
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

We're no better than mice
    Those are great photos guys!!!!!

Done
    Mar 2002
    I'm just south of Washington, DC, and as of 6 pm we have around 20 or so inches of snow.

And it is still snowing.

MB1 and Miss M picked a most excellent time to bug out of town.

I did do the NNC thing in the snow. I've got a mountain bike fixed up with studded snow tires. They work pretty well - if you get up a head of steam you can blast through up to about a foot of unplowed, unpacked snow. Where the roads are plowed, it's a bit tricky, like crossing the wake when you waterski. Rough, and some ruts from cars. I didn't hit the ground, but I did lose the front end a few times from basically going too fast.
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

E Plurbus Elvis
    We're at about 20" and it's still coming down.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Plain Bitter
    Dang, that looks like fun. We did 42 miles on the coast this morning and it was in the '70's. Cooling off now and in the 60's. don't think it is going to snow here today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by KenB
    I didn't take the camera outside today so I only have these off of my phone...

We've probably picked up another 8" since I took those this morning. There's 16" on my front lawn right now.
    Still a great photo. Those are ROSY cheeks. Someone is having a great time!

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx
    We're at about 20" and it's still coming down.
    That's a LOT of snow for the east coast. The 14" we got was enough. We're on a minor road, I doubt we'll see a plow until late tomorrow. Until then we're staying home and...

We have about 1/2". I feel cheated. I don't like winter, but if it's gonna be cold anyway, it might as well snow.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Taylor
    MB1 and Miss M picked a most excellent time to bug out of town..

I'm actually sorry to miss the snowfall but the next few days up there are going to suck big time.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

It's complexicated
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA
    That's a LOT of snow for the east coast. The 14" we got was enough. We're on a minor road, I doubt we'll see a plow until late tomorrow. Until then we're staying home and...
    And What, Honey? Oh yeah, cooking tacos and drinking beers... yeah that's it.
    Help Support Team Collin. Check out my website MellysArt.com. A portion of every print sold will go to 24 Hours of Booty. All of the proceeds from the note cards goes to support the fight against cancer.

"Hill Repeats are easy. Chemo is hard." ~VaughnA, survivor 24 years and counting

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cooking grilled pineapple and tequila/lime scallops on the grill, 35 mile ride and mid 60's now.

You guys should migrate.

E Plurbus Elvis
    We get them here in the DC area every 5 years or so. This is about the 5th one I remember since the early '80s.

remodeling...me
    Great picts of the birds Vaughn! I read the Missus note about throwing out the food for them...great idea! I might put out some suet tomorrow if I can make my way to the shed.
    I didn't even leave the house; I was so glad to finally have some time with my husband...it's been a year since we got the restaurant and I think this was our first full day alone.
    It's still snowing here, been constant since last night. Tomorrow I'll take pictures and measurements.
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx
    We get them here in the DC area every 5 years or so. This is about the 5th one I remember since the early '80s.
    We usually get one good snow every year around 6-10 inches but it's usually 50 degrees the next day and it's gone. It's not supposed to be above 40 until the end of next week. It looks like we'll have a white Christmas this year. I LOVE this.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    The bump on the left is my mailbox. The bump on the right is my car.

They're calling for another 6-8" overnight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Inara: "It's humiliation."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

GIMME MY BIKE!
    I live directly off Route 1, a snow emergency route. Route 1 is plowed, but my street is not. We are one of the last ones to get plowed (and that's not code). We'll be lucky to see a plow before it melts or before New Years, whichever comes first.

I may have to work from home next week, the Prius won't even make it to Route 1 without a little help. Getting to the airport on Tuesday could be interesting.
    Harrow: "You have to finish it, lad. You have to finish it. For a man to lay beaten... and yet breathing? It makes him a coward."

Inara: "It's humiliation."

Mal: "Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood... Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

It's complexicated
    Quote Originally Posted by zeytin
    Great picts of the birds Vaughn! I read the Missus note about throwing out the food for them...great idea! I might put out some suet tomorrow if I can make my way to the shed.
    I didn't even leave the house; I was so glad to finally have some time with my husband...it's been a year since we got the restaurant and I think this was our first full day alone.
    It's still snowing here, been constant since last night. Tomorrow I'll take pictures and measurements.
    I'm glad you got some time to regroup and recoup. Snow days are so good for that. I hope the restaurant is a huge success for you both. It's a tough life, I've heard. I sure enjoyed it last October. We'll have to come back and order form the menu some day.
    Help Support Team Collin. Check out my website MellysArt.com. A portion of every print sold will go to 24 Hours of Booty. All of the proceeds from the note cards goes to support the fight against cancer.

"Hill Repeats are easy. Chemo is hard." ~VaughnA, survivor 24 years and counting

E Plurbus Elvis
    Quote Originally Posted by vonteity
    We are one of the last ones to get plowed (and that's not code). We'll be lucky to see a plow before it melts or before New Years, whichever comes first.
    Because I live on a road that's split between 2 counties we never see plows from either county (seemingly, neither wants to plow the other county's portion). But, we've got a lot of builder-type neighbors with big pick-em-up trucks with plows and even bobcats, & back-hoes (also not code), so we should be clear by 10am tomorrow.

Oh, and I just went out and measured -- 18 inches and still snowing.

We're no better than mice
    Quote Originally Posted by vonteity

... the Prius won't even make it to Route 1 without a little help. Getting to the airport on Tuesday could be interesting.
    No snow tires for your Prius?

Large Suburban Male
    We got nothing to take pictures of.
    The local weather clowns have been talking about this thing hitting on Saturday afternoon since Thursday.

Here it is, almost 8.30pm, and not a flake has fallen.

They're saying that we're going to get 10-15 inches. We'll see about that.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    No snow tires for your Prius?
    I think part of the problem is more that we can't even tell there is a Prius, due to all the white stuff
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast