Oh Crap... - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Crap...

Frog Whisperer
    i have never been a fan of "paper training", teaching a dog to pee inside is a mistake imo
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ... the sound freaked me out as well... I wasn't sure of what I was looking for... and when I heard it coming from head height, I was certain it was gonna be something like a stuck squirrel or bird...

Actually, the animal came with both collars (I have only seen one flea and have dipped her once already... still working on getting to the vet cuz I can't imagine her not having worms).
    Sorry if I missed it, but is there an update to this? I'm seriously wondering wtf that sound is, if it wasn't crying. And I hope she's been checked out to be ok.

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    i have never been a fan of "paper training", teaching a dog to pee inside is a mistake imo
    I sure wish Chloe was paper trained now.....
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Have you tried pee pads? I think some of them have a scent that tells the puppy "Pee Here!"
    ... I'm not a fan of said either, especially for breeds that may get LARGE (plus, I'm blessed with a large fenced yard with oodles and oodles o grass)...

She is starting to learn. She squats "automatically" when taken outside and placed on grass (about 50% of the time, I have to take her all the way (less she squat in the driveway)).

This weekend, she peed like a fountain in Rome. I think I've narrowed it down to her treating her water bowl as a toy. I hesitate to withhold, but she drank the whole thing... then peed for a half hour through the evening.

While I felt bad about withholding... this morning, she showed no overt need to hit the water before going out to pee... then only sipped a bit while eating (moistened) before heading out for morning play.

Anyway... a work in progress. Here is an update after about a week. She is definitely, more alert (focusing on my face and eyes wide open).

YAY! sleep YAY! sleep YAY!

Failboat Captian
    We adopted a rescue puppy in May. Mix of Belgian Malinois, Lab and Husky (we think). No pics from here, but trust me, he's freakishly cute. But also a bit small. Mostly because he has fairly short legs (must be an English Lab or some Corgi in there). Right about 50 lbs at 8 months.

We used the pee pads, and yes, the dog did instinctually pee on them. We put them right in front of the sliding door that leads from the kitchen to the deck. Then, when he was good at using the pads, we put it immediately outside the door. He quickly learned to paw at the door to go use the pad. Then we put the pad in the grass at the bottom of the steps off the deck. Only needed to do that for about 2-3 days, and could just leave the used pad there. Then, took the pad away and all has been good.
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Neophyte
    With potty training, it seems like forever when you're doing it, but once she's learned it and you think back on how long it took it probably won't seem like it was that bad.

She is adorable. Looks to me like she was removed from the litter really early (probably too early). She's probably going to be pretty big, don't forget to socialize her with other dogs and people when you can (once she's had the right vacc's, etc).

Frog Whisperer
    she is beautiful, and still REALLY young, I bet she is just MAYBE 7 weeks old even now. So she's doing great, I am betting she wasn't completely weaned when they dumped her. Btw, let me warn you about the potential foible of teaching a puppy to pee on command. I taugh my dog to do so, and 10 1/2 years later, if I throw her dopey ass out the door to go potty, she barks for me to come out so I can tell her she's a good girl.

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Btw, let me warn you about the potential foible of teaching a puppy to pee on command. I taugh my dog to do so, and 10 1/2 years later, if I throw her dopey ass out the door to go potty, she barks for me to come out so I can tell her she's a good girl.
    ... the best laid plans. I'm already in trouble. Sleeping WITH me has indeed cut her night accidents to zero... but of course, now she thinks she HAS to sleep WITH me...

Of course, logic tells us that she is growing, but it is remarkable the difference a week has made (especially her alertness). Course, on the downside, now the entire universe is a chew toy.

Frog Whisperer
    ahhhhh chewing..... yeah. This OBVIOUSLY ain't your first rodeo, but just a subtle reminder closed doors, NOTHING on the floor that you don't want chewed and COVER the house with actual chew toys, Kong rules the whole world! AND.......crates were designed for people with puppies and nice stuff that they wanted to keep as nice stuff.

Damn, I knew I should have trained Lace to tell time, she woke me up at 3:30 to tell me that she wanted to go out and eat and go out, and was lonely and eat and play and eat.

I was NOT ready to get up at 3:30. I tossed her dumbass out the door and when she barked for me to come out to tell her she was a good girl, I ignored it for a while, then let her in and stumbled back up 2 flights of stairs, back to bed. When my wife got up for work at 5:45 she barked for me again. I yelled shut up and she did for a 1/2 hour, then I got up.

Not a bark, bark, bark bark, bark, bark,bark...... just a single woof. Still, she KNOWS I am light sleeper and does that sometimes because she is lonely and just wants me to come down and turn the stereo on for her, that has to be it.

She doesn't do the inside steps any more, since she tore her acl, I gated them off for a while so she wouldn't hurt herself further and now she doesn't go upstairs. The outside stairs to the second floor deck, no problem.

Now that I think about it, remind me again why I love dogs?

Heft(y) on Wheels
    ... found this yesterday on my early morning commute (before sunrise) atop playground equipment in a park near my home...

I can barely afford the dog I've got now!!!
    Awwwww.... Reminds me of trying to crate train my dog. The crying and accidents cut down drastically when she was able to sleep in my room and wasn't alone. Now she's spoiled but it's been worth it. I'll second what crossracer posted as well.
    "Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."
    -Alexis Carrel

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
    -Thomas Paine

Neophyte
    Oh yeah, same for us. 1-2 nights of crate in other room... not good. Gave in and moved crate to our room, even when door closed, happy sleeping puppy.

Lets Go Hokies!!!
    We did the same as jetdog. Moved that huge crate up and down the stairs twice a day. It was in the same room as the TV and open so if Sawyer wanted to be in there while we were watching TV/hanging out he could. Then he stayed in the crate while we were at work, same room. At night, we moved the huge thing up into our bedroom so he was with us. Then it came back downstairs in the morning. Sucked, but it worked.

Now all these years later he hangs out at my sister in law's house in the big backyard all day playing with her dog. He still slept in our room on a few blankets up until about 2 weeks ago when he just decided that his bed in the family room was better. I don't mind, but I do sort of feel bad that the old man doesn't want to come up with us anymore.

Akirasho, she's a cutie. Congrats on doing the right thing with her.
    Its not over till you're underground

http://hokierider.blogspot.com

Heft(y) on Wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Oh yeah, same for us. 1-2 nights of crate in other room... not good. Gave in and moved crate to our room, even when door closed, happy sleeping puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by HokieRider View Post
    We did the same as jetdog. Moved that huge crate up and down the stairs twice a day. It was in the same room as the TV and open so if Sawyer wanted to be in there while we were watching TV/hanging out he could. Then he stayed in the crate while we were at work, same room. At night, we moved the huge thing up into our bedroom so he was with us. Then it came back downstairs in the morning. Sucked, but it worked.

Now all these years later he hangs out at my sister in law's house in the big backyard all day playing with her dog. He still slept in our room on a few blankets up until about 2 weeks ago when he just decided that his bed in the family room was better. I don't mind, but I do sort of feel bad that the old man doesn't want to come up with us anymore.

Akirasho, she's a cutie. Congrats on doing the right thing with her.

Yep, that's how it's been the last eleven years with mine. I think a lot of it had to do with her being the runt and roughed up by her sisters as she was always friendly with people but never wanted to be around other dogs no matter how friendly they were; when I brought her home, she would lay across one of my feet when I would be in the kitchen cooking or washing dishes so she would be woken up if I moved. Now she's getting creaky and stiff so she has a dog bed on my bed and I pick her up when getting her on/off the bed. I think her only worry in life is being left alone.
    "Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor."
    -Alexis Carrel

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
    -Thomas Paine

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... last night she went off her nut and decided that sleep should only occur after 5 AM...

A light rain all night... and a refusal to poop... so a marathon 9 hour "I'm not going to sleep and neither are you" fest occurred.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    This thread is awesome but needs even moar pics.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Frog Whisperer
    as long as it is 3 steps forward and only 2 steps back, you are still making progress.

RoadBikeReview Member
    as long as it is 3 steps forward and only 2 steps back, you are still making progress.
    ... tell that to my brain that had to wake up two hours before it went to sleep.

Frog Whisperer
    ... tell that to my brain that had to wake up two hours before it went to sleep.
    welcome to my world

Neophyte
    The not pooping when you need them too is such a pain. As a puppy ours worked like clockwork for a while, a bit after eating you took her out and it happened. I used to work close to home. We couldn't trust her in the yard or house by herself yet so she was crated until I came home for a lunch break. We'd eat, play, poop, and then back to crate/work. I think she started to figure out that if she pooped I was going back to work soon, so pooping became increasingly difficult to induce.

However, in all the time with her EVER, she's never pooped inside the house except one time in her crate which was puppy diarrhea that I don't think we can blame her for.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    I never heard a puppy make that sound.

I would have taken it in in a nonosecond.

Those collars? What's the story?
    boston terriers cry/squeal like pigs. its cute....at first.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    LOL! It could have been worse, you could have adopted a fussy baby

Cute dog, like other's have said, looks like she'll get big. The wife and I grew up with dogs and have wanted one for a few years, but I became allergic to them so I'm going to start shots now that allergy season is over (lasted longer than usual). It can take anywhere's from 2-5 years for the shots to work though

Eddy 53:11
    Ugly cat.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

xxl
    ahhhhh chewing..... yeah. This OBVIOUSLY ain't your first rodeo, but just a subtle reminder closed doors, NOTHING on the floor that you don't want chewed and COVER the house with actual chew toys, Kong rules the whole world! AND.......crates were designed for people with puppies and nice stuff that they wanted to keep as nice stuff.

Damn, I knew I should have trained Lace to tell time, she woke me up at 3:30 to tell me that she wanted to go out and eat and go out, and was lonely and eat and play and eat.

I was NOT ready to get up at 3:30. I tossed her dumbass out the door and when she barked for me to come out to tell her she was a good girl, I ignored it for a while, then let her in and stumbled back up 2 flights of stairs, back to bed. When my wife got up for work at 5:45 she barked for me again. I yelled shut up and she did for a 1/2 hour, then I got up.

Not a bark, bark, bark bark, bark, bark,bark...... just a single woof. Still, she KNOWS I am light sleeper and does that sometimes because she is lonely and just wants me to come down and turn the stereo on for her, that has to be it.

She doesn't do the inside steps any more, since she tore her acl, I gated them off for a while so she wouldn't hurt herself further and now she doesn't go upstairs. The outside stairs to the second floor deck, no problem.

Now that I think about it, remind me again why I love dogs?
    I think your dog and my dog went to the same school.

She knows we go walking every morning, but not being big on clocks, well, 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM, it's all good to her. Invariably, I'll wake up because I hear her open our bedroom door. One night, went I was trying to feign sleep, she actually slapped her paw on the mattress to wake me up--that earned her a pillow tossed her way.

I housebroke her, and then taught her to pee on command (a nice trick when you have to let her out and it's cold and you're tired). We hung a bell on the back door, and she learned to smack it to let us know when she wants to go outside.

Only trouble is, she'll smack it when she wants to go outside for any damned reason, like to bark at the neighbors, or another dog, or a squirrel, or the sky, not just when she needs to pee.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    I think your dog and my dog went to the same school.

She knows we go walking every morning, but not being big on clocks, well, 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM, it's all good to her. Invariably, I'll wake up because I hear her open our bedroom door. One night, went I was trying to feign sleep, she actually slapped her paw on the mattress to wake me up--that earned her a pillow tossed her way.

I housebroke her, and then taught her to pee on command (a nice trick when you have to let her out and it's cold and you're tired). We hung a bell on the back door, and she learned to smack it to let us know when she wants to go outside.

Only trouble is, she'll smack it when she wants to go outside for any damned reason, like to bark at the neighbors, or another dog, or a squirrel, or the sky, not just when she needs to pee.
    what kind of dog? (other that a smart one...TOO smart)

AJL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Who wound up training who on that one!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast