OK, so this happened
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ricardo Cabeza

OK, so this happened

I just bought this.

Yeah, its RHD and the pedals are so close together I had to take my shoes off and drive with my big toes. But it tried to rip my face off and I had the biggest **** eating grin.

So, there it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andy69; 05-28-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    What kind of motor & trans?

What the what???
    Nice, Andy! Congrats. I would say drive it like you stole it, but it sounds like you're doing that already.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    What kind of motor & trans?
    Rover K-series 1.4, but itís the fuel injected super sport version - 128 HP.

It was plenty for that car. I canít imagine it with 300+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

a real member's member
    think i saw you on the local news!

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    Rover K-series 1.4, but itís the fuel injected super sport version - 128 HP.

It was plenty for that car. I canít imagine it with 300+

Manual transmission, of course.

3, 4, 5 or 6 speed?

How many cylinders?

Torque?

RoadBikeReview Member
    love a 7! enjoy. I'll probably never get one but would love to have one if there was a track nearby.

there's a company nearby who manufacture these Caterhams locally. But $70k cdn a piece. Albeit 210hp powerplant!
    https://www.7cars.ca/PDFS/08SV-R%20210.pdf

-

6 Drove a 7 but swore he was Not a Number...

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 05-27-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Manual transmission, of course.

3, 4, 5 or 6 speed?

How many cylinders?

Torque?
    DOHC 4 cylinder with a Rover 5 speed. Not sure the torque exactly, somewhere close to the HP rating.

Not the most powerful, but plenty for the chassis. I think anything over 200 hp would be pushing it. I've never driven a 620R but reviews say it's challenging to drive fast.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    love a 7! enjoy. I'll probably never get one but would love to have one if there was a track nearby.

there's a company nearby who manufacture these Caterhams locally. But $70k cdn a piece. Albeit 210hp powerplant!
    https://www.7cars.ca/PDFS/08SV-R%20210.pdf

-

6 Drove a 7 but swore he was Not a Number...

Options are kind of limited in the US if you want a Caterham. The newest you can import from the UK is a 1995, so if you want a newer one you have to buy from Caterham US$$$$$$. Otherwise you can go with a Birkin or one of the other copies, but thatís like using a Fiero to make a Ferrari copy.

I originally wanted to find an Ariel Atom, but holy crap. A hundred grand? I think not.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Options are kind of limited in the US if you want a Caterham. The newest you can import from the UK is a 1995, so if you want a newer one you have to buy from Caterham US$$$$$$. Otherwise you can go with a Birkin or one of the other copies, but thatís like using a Fiero to make a Ferrari copy.

I originally wanted to find an Ariel Atom, but holy crap. A hundred grand? I think not.

1994 sorta.... 25 year ban on imports (thanks a lot Mercedes.. that and the stupid chicken tax) is based on manufacturer year. So a 1995 model manufactured in 1994 is allowed, a 1995 manufactured in 1995 is not.. At least not till 2020.

I was never a fan of the 7s. But they are fun to drive, I drove one at Summitpoint once.. feels a lot faster than it really is (it is still pretty fast) because it is open... and by the same token, my . C63, now sold felt like normal highway speeds.. at around 150mph..

I do like the Atom, but yeah, 100k, more so if you want the insane V8 model (and probably would die driving it)

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    1994 sorta.... 25 year ban on imports (thanks a lot Mercedes.. that and the stupid chicken tax) is based on manufacturer year. So a 1995 model manufactured in 1994 is allowed, a 1995 manufactured in 1995 is not.. At least not till 2020.

I was never a fan of the 7s. But they are fun to drive, I drove one at Summitpoint once.. feels a lot faster than it really is (it is still pretty fast) because it is open... and by the same token, my . C63, now sold felt like normal highway speeds.. at around 150mph..

I do like the Atom, but yeah, 100k, more so if you want the insane V8 model (and probably would die driving it)
    Manufacture date is my understanding. That dumb law can go in the ash can along with the Jones Act AFAIK.

35 feels like you're going a million miles an hour because it's so noisy and no windshield (the one in the pic comes with the car but the one on it now is a short one.

SuperAndy's Garage

Hi
    May 2010
    cool. I have heard of these but never seen one. Looks like a street legal go kart

Boobies!
    Very cool, Andy.

One of the old timers on the this board used to have one--'Caterham" user name?--used to do car photography as a pro???

A lifetime ago, I saw a classified ad for one--went and looked at it. It was truly a kit car, in pieces. I tried to talk my dad into letting me buy it, and do it up as a father-son project (I think I was 17?)--but he made the call that I would probably kill myself in it. It was old school, so probably Costworth-Ford maybe???
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

Ricardo Cabeza

OK, so this happened

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Very cool, Andy.

One of the old timers on the this board used to have one--'Caterham" user name?--used to do car photography as a pro???

A lifetime ago, I saw a classified ad for one--went and looked at it. It was truly a kit car, in pieces. I tried to talk my dad into letting me buy it, and do it up as a father-son project (I think I was 17?)--but he made the call that I would probably kill myself in it. It was old school, so probably Costworth-Ford maybe???
    Old school is the Ford Kent Crossflow, older old school would be the twin cam Cosworth, super ancient old school would be the Lotus twin cam :-). I think they used Cosworths up into the early 90s and added the Vauxhall twin cam in there somewhere, but after 1992 until around 2007 they used the Rover K series. Now I think they have a Ford Zetec

I passed on a 7 with a Ford Kent 1.7. Getting all those Webers to play nice with each other isnít my idea of a fun afternoon

Last edited by Andy69; 05-28-2019 at 11:52 AM.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    NICE! I would love to take that baby for a spin, lol.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    David Kirk at Kirk Frameworks has a 7.
    Start your Seven ‚Äď Take II. | Kirk Frameworks

good little read there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    It's full of factual errors. :nono:

Ricardo Cabeza
    Got it home last night. Got the plates and insurance squared away today. Took it for a drive, Mrs69 burned her leg on the exhaust pipe.

Taking it to an autocross this weekend. I want to become more familiar with it before I take it out on the track at MIR.

This thing is loud, fast, and vibrates like crazy. No airbags, no antilock brakes, no safety features of any kind. There isnít even a windscreen.

But ohhhhhhhhhh so much fun.

SuperAndy's Garage

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Nice, you'll love the power to weight ratio on that ride.
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-11-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Ricardo Cabeza
    All family members have been out in it with me.

Mrs69 - says she likes it but burned her leg on the exhaust getting in (I genuinely forgot to say something)

Girl 69 - really enjoyed the ride. Just like in cars, we were the first ones to drive on the new road in a nearby development, which she thought was hilarious.

Boy69 - as soon as we hit 30 mph he started screaming about how the car is insane and I'm insane and to take me home take me home take me home. I made him stay in it for about a 10 minute loop around our house and when we started heading home he said he wasn't actually saying take him home he was just singing a song and he wanted to do a few more loops

SuperAndy's Garage

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I made him stay in it for about a 10 minute loop around our house and when we started heading home he said he wasn't actually saying take him home he was just singing a song and he wanted to do a few more loops
    Funny. Classic.
    Last edited by Eretz; 06-11-2019 at 03:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't forget to look over the brakes very carefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrNrPLhqow
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Don't forget to look over the brakes very carefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDrNrPLhqow
    This type of car has a very light front end and I've noticed it has a tendency to achieve a sort of terminal understeer that isn't easily corrected with oversteer as when the front is slipping the rear as nothing to push against. The whiskers on the sides of the nose panel help at higher speeds.

I'm ordering a set of Carbotech aggressive street/light track pads for it. The rest is on my driving skills.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    This type of car has a very light front end and I've noticed it has a tendency to achieve a sort of terminal understeer that isn't easily corrected with oversteer as when the front is slipping the rear as nothing to push against. The whiskers on the sides of the nose panel help at higher speeds.

I'm ordering a set of Carbotech aggressive street/light track pads for it. The rest is on my driving skills.
    On another note, I adjusted the alignment yesterday while sitting on a stool.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Took it to the track night on Tuesday. I was working and my 14 year old was with me so we just did the low speed paced laps (70mph limit on the straights). She had a blast and so did I.

Then this morning I was watching an online speed parts auction and a pallet of Ford Cosworth F1 parts and engines came up and I could be heard audibly saying HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza

SuperAndy's Garage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast