Olympic TV coverage...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003

Olympic TV coverage...

hasn't even started yet, and I'm already pissed off about how badly it's going to suck. The only saving graces are the mulitple alternative NBC channels that may actually air a good percentage of sport and not so much chopped up sports clips liberally dosed with human interest pieces. Although, that won't make up for what I am sure will be the minimal coverage the men's road race will receive.

Jan 2002
    I am personally looking forward to constant, tedious tributes to American athletes interspersed with coverage of them losing to out of frame foreigners we hear next to nothing about.

Seeking shades of grey
    I watched last night on NBC. I was happy with the result of the race, however the editing was horrible. I think I would have enjoyed reading the cyclingnews.com summary better. There was very little suspense, as they cut out anything short of the attacks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duane Gran
    I watched last night on NBC. I was happy with the result of the race, however the editing was horrible. I think I would have enjoyed reading the cyclingnews.com summary better. There was very little suspense, as they cut out anything short of the attacks.
    I read cyclingnews' coverage up until Bettini and Paulinho were clearly going to stay away, and later watched the TV coverage. I figured the only thing they would show worth watching would be the sprint, so I wanted to save some suspense. The editing was worthless, especially if you're trying to explain to non-cycling friends how the tactics, etc. work.

Great irony, cycling has reached the level in the US where the men's road race is now prime time worthy, so you don't get to see any of it, whereas the women's road race and probably most track events are still not prime-time worthy so you can watch them in their entirety!

It was great how many times Phil and Paul managed to work in Lance ("Julian Dean, former teamate of Lance Armstrong..."), going to the first clip of Lance within about a minute or two of the coverage and getting to it with a total non-sequitar, which I guess isn't surprising given Lance wasn't even racing.