One step closer to middle age... purchased a riding lawnmower
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Good news everyone!

One step closer to middle age... purchased a riding lawnmower

Summer is fast approaching and after my horrible poison ivy rash after mowing last weekend I decided to get a riding lawnmower. Bought it from some retired Army veteran on Craigslist. He was asking 275, I gave him 300 since he delivered it to me. It fires right up and didn't need anything but an 18 dollar rubber drive ring which I already bought and installed. I used a riding lawnmower for the first time today and it made me feel old as hell. I think it's impossible to mow your lawn and look cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails One step closer to middle age... purchased a riding lawnmower-0402111359.jpg  

xxl
    I think I see the problem; your seat's too low.

Good news everyone!
    The seat flips up too to keep leaves and water off it during storage. It lacks a cupholder though, need to install one so that beverages may be consumed.

Cowboy up

Good news everyone!
    Bahahaha

Slightly Opinionated
    You can look cool if you mow your lawn in your tightie whitie underwear, Timberland hiking boots with knee high rainbow socks, a cape and a "Flash" mask. Bonus points if drinking a can of Milwaukee's Best.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Rub it............
    At least your on the Snapper.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Mount a bottle cage on that front faring and your cool factor will increase by an order of magnitude.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Years ago I considered purchasing a ride-on lawn mower. After a little more thought I decided to purchase some Mexicans. Well not so much purchasing them as leasing them. They have been doing a wonderful job of cutting my grass for many years now.

that ain't chamois cream
    Are you going to go with a Quarq or SRM for that thing?
    One Less Fixie.

Banned forever.....or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    The seat flips up too to keep leaves and water off it during storage. It lacks a cupholder though, need to install one so that beverages may be consumed.

You need a beer hat.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Call me a Fred
    You'll win man points if you start riding it to check your mailbox for mail. Do it about 4 times a day.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Eddy 53:11
    Go Forrest go!
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Frog Whisperer
    my snapper has 2 cupholders and a power port for my gps...AND...cruise control.....prolly what the guy bought after he sold you the "starter" mower.

Consider this...mowing time cut in half.......riding time on bikes...doubled!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Good news everyone!
    I was definitely thinking about mounting a bottle cage to it somewhere. Have to find some self tapping screws tomorrow and then I probably will. I thought about just hiring somebody to cut the lawn but I'm so damn cheap. Plus, the 300 dollars that I spent for this thing wouldn't last me very long I don't think. In the summer it will grow incredibly fast and |'ll probably need to cut it once a week.

I just got back from Home Depot. I picked up some St. Augustine sod that I'm going to cut into plugs tomorrow. I've got some majorly sandy sections in my yard that are pretty heavily shaded, and I'm hoping to get some nice grass growing there to cover up the sandy loose soil. I hope it grows. I got 15 pieces for about 20 dollars.

Proud luddite
    Just the other day I was thinking about that TV commercial where the wife conspires with the kids to buy her husband a John Deere mower. When he sees it he starts to tear up, and everyone is happy happy. Barf! Give me a Colnago and I'll start to tear up....but a John Deere? Forget it!

Good news everyone!
    There were definitely no tears shed today, this thing is no brand new John Deere, haha.

However I will say that after I installed a new rubber wear disc, I found that this thing is stupid easy to work on. You can tip the entire mower up onto the rear end so it's easy to work on, and presumably you could store it upright that way too. They still make plenty of parts and I've seen quite a few of these mowers from the 60s and 70s that are still running great today. I'm hoping that my model shares something in common with those older mowers... it seems virtually everything is proprietary and designed to be disposable these days.

Proud luddite
    There were definitely no tears shed today, this thing is no brand new John Deere, haha.

However I will say that after I installed a new rubber wear disc, I found that this thing is stupid easy to work on. You can tip the entire mower up onto the rear end so it's easy to work on, and presumably you could store it upright that way too. They still make plenty of parts and I've seen quite a few of these mowers from the 60s and 70s that are still running great today. I'm hoping that my model shares something in common with those older mowers... it seems virtually everything is proprietary and designed to be disposable these days.
    You should move to AZ. We don't have grass, but 2, maybe 3 times a year I have to cut down the weeds with a weed whacker. Takes about a half hour, tops. If I used a rider mower I'd probably just end up killing the neighbor's dog with a rock being flung at 90 mph. Hey, wait a minute....how much do those mowers cost?

Good news everyone!
    I like AZ. I remember being at the Phoenix airport when it was 115 degrees. I still thought it was better than a 100 degree Florida day.. humidity is awful here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb
    Just the other day I was thinking about that TV commercial where the wife conspires with the kids to buy her husband a John Deere mower. When he sees it he starts to tear up, and everyone is happy happy. Barf! Give me a Colnago and I'll start to tear up....but a John Deere? Forget it!
    I've never seen the commercial, but I agree. Just bought a freaking John Deere zero turn mower for what a Colnago costs. The only reason I bought it is because I cannot justify spending $200 to $300 a month to have somebody mow my grass (i.e., the mower will pay for itself in 3 years or less). The thing does 9 mph and cuts 54" at a time. The salesman at the dealer promised me 30 minutes to an hour to mow the 2 acres we have. I could live with that amount of time mowing grass, so I dropped the money on it. I am not at all excited to get on it for the first time to mow the grass and am hoping the grass doesn't start growing until May. I cannot wait until the kids are old enough to start using it.

At least the mower has 2 cupholders and a little area for "tools/snacks".

I would have rather spent that money on a Colnago. Luckily, I think I am still getting a Colnago MXL for my 40th in September.

My wife just spent $3,000 on a washer/drier combo. She feels the same way about it. Not really excited about it and would have rather spent the money on jewelry and purses, but it is an appliance she is going to live with for quite a while and it helps to get a job done that she hates to do.

Now, I am looking at spending $35,000 on a John Deere tractor with a cab, loader and backhoe to do a ton of landscaping around the house, install a french drain around the front and sides of the house, install drywells for the downspouts, dig the footers and slab for a separate garage, replace the driveway with pavers, install a circular paver driveway, replace the patio out back with pavers, haul & split firewood, plow the driveway, etc. This thing had better make yard work and landscaping a lot easier because I would rather buy a Taurus SHO, or even a 2012 Focus ST when it is finally available. It had better last the rest of my life too.

The list of things to do is so long I am hoping I have time to ride my bike. If only the kids were older and they could mow the grass and do yard work. I keep telling myself that patience is a virtue.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

No hero that's understood
    Don't fool yourself, 115 in Phoenix sucks.

I bought a riding mower thinking I would save time.

That same summer, my 85 year-old neighbor broke his hip. I began mowing his yard too. It still takes me the same amount of time to mow both yards.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Not when it comes to lawn and garden equipment. Most of them can last quite a while if you take care of them and it seems as though parts are available for quite a while. My dad has had his Craftsman lawn tractor for 10+ years now and he is horrible about taking care of equipment. If you maintain that Snapper, it will last quite a while.

Even if it was John Deere green and brand new, you wouldn't shed a tear over it unless you had been using a push mover for 10 years. I cannot even imagine using a push mover to mow our lawn. It just would not happen.

My brother in lawn, who has .2 acres or less to mow, decided to buy one of those old school mowers without an engine in it. Essentially, the blades are wheel driven. I was shocked to find out that Craftsman still makes them. He cut his grass with it once and then went out and bought a self propelled power mower.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

Good news everyone!
    I might actually use it to make a few bucks. If I ever get a small utility trailer, I can tow it over to my mom's place or maybe talk the neighbors into paying me a few bucks to mow their yard too. It won't take me long to get my 300 bucks back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by q_and_a
    Don't fool yourself, 115 in Phoenix sucks.

I bought a riding mower thinking I would save time.

That same summer, my 85 year-old neighbor broke his hip. I began mowing his yard too. It still takes me the same amount of time to mow both yards.
    Yeah, but that riding mower cut down the mowing time on your yard by 50%. Imagine if you had to do both lawns with a push mower. Then we would be seeing some tears, and they wouldn't be tears of joy. Your neighbor would have still broken his hip and you would have still volunteered to mow the grass even if you had a push mower.

Bikes:

No hero that's understood
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    Yeah, but that riding mower cut down the mowing time on your yard by 50%. Imagine if you had to do both lawns with a push mower. Then we would be seeing some tears, and they wouldn't be tears of joy. Your neighbor would have still broken his hip and you would have still volunteered to mow the grass even if you had a push mower.
    True, but I was really looking forward to making this an easier chore.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast