Online news recommendations
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Online news recommendations

I've been a daily subscriber to our local newspaper for over 30 years. The paper got bought out by McPaper USA Today a couple of years ago and it really does suck. Biggest gripe is oftentimes they print the same story twice in the same edition. Even on the same page. Editorial quality is mediocre. I used to like USA Sports section, but it sucks in our paper. Tiny print, incomplete info. To it's credit, it has color comics seven days a week and I love the NYT crossword puzzle, so I'll probably keep the sunday subscription just for the puzzle. But at $715 per year subscription rate, I can't take it anymore. Almost cancelled last year at something like $685.

So what do any of you news junkies do? I watch the national news on TV most nights, and given today's state of affairs I usually check CNN on my phone once a day. But CNN sucks in its own rights.

I'll go totally digital and even look at news on my home PC instead of phone - any recommendations? Also willing to pay a modest amount, especially less than two bucks a day. Any feedback on NYT online? BBC?

What the what???
    I like aggregators like Apple News and Flipboard. You can set up a wide range of sources and specify particular interests.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I've got the AP Newswire and the BBC feed. That's as close to a primary source as you're going to get.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Darling of The Lounge
    I try to consume a steady diet of Fox News and CNN. The resulting after effects is about as close to reality as I can stomach.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I try to consume a steady diet of Fox News and CNN. The resulting after effects is about as close to reality as I can stomach.
    #doinitright

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    I've been a daily subscriber to our local newspaper for over 30 years. The paper got bought out by McPaper USA Today a couple of years ago and it really does suck. Biggest gripe is oftentimes they print the same story twice in the same edition. Even on the same page. Editorial quality is mediocre. I used to like USA Sports section, but it sucks in our paper. Tiny print, incomplete info. To it's credit, it has color comics seven days a week and I love the NYT crossword puzzle, so I'll probably keep the sunday subscription just for the puzzle. But at $715 per year subscription rate, I can't take it anymore. Almost cancelled last year at something like $685.

So what do any of you news junkies do? I watch the national news on TV most nights, and given today's state of affairs I usually check CNN on my phone once a day. But CNN sucks in its own rights.

I'll go totally digital and even look at news on my home PC instead of phone - any recommendations? Also willing to pay a modest amount, especially less than two bucks a day. Any feedback on NYT online? BBC?
    NYT Online, and WaPo is good. OTOH NYT is more expensive than WaPo online. I think the diff is like $150/year vs $100/yr. My gripe about both...their sites are bandwidth/compute hogs and have lots of cross-site scripting (Ghostery blocks 9 scripts off the front page of NYT, and 8 off WaPo). They have apps for mobile, but for low-powered windows laptops/tablets it is annoying.

For free, BBC or Guardian are good as well.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    NYT Online, and WaPo is good. OTOH NYT is more expensive than WaPo online. I think the diff is like $150/year vs $100/yr. My gripe about both...their sites are bandwidth/compute hogs and have lots of cross-site scripting (Ghostery blocks 9 scripts off the front page of NYT, and 8 off WaPo). They have apps for mobile, but for low-powered windows laptops/tablets it is annoying.

For free, BBC or Guardian are good as well.
    I use the iPhone & iPad mobile apps for the New York Times and the Washington Post. WaPo allows you to download their print version which I prefer. It's like reading the physical newspaper with page turns an all. It downloads in about 30 seconds and can be read off line. The only problem is it is static, the news from whenever the print version was published.
    Ken
    P.J. O'Rourke: The Internet - whose idea was it to put all the idiots on earth in touch with each other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I just read whatever links are posted in PO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Like Simon & Garfunkel, I get all the news I need from the weather report.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I have some of the same gripes. My local paper is now $500+ per year, and the content and quality have decreased remarkably, altho the quality never was that great. But it's the only source of local news content, so I keep buying it. National and international are easy to get from many online sources, but I don't know a good alternative to the local stuff, like the two local berry farms just opened to sell strawberries yesterday, important stuff like that. Oh, and our inept city and country gov't.

Proud luddite
    I only follow Yahoo news because they’re the only ones to tackle the tough stories. Like daily updates on what the Kardashians are up to, the 50 pound tumor that left the doctors speechless, and how Christy Brinkley looks in a bikini now. It’s REAL news that we all need to know about.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I just read whatever links are posted in PO.
    You're doing better than 50% of active PO posters!

Russian Troll Farmer
    I follow NBC news, CNN, and The Guardian apps, but for real news I buy the Sunday NY Times NYC early edition.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Onion is about the only source left that is halfway believable.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Isn't Fox News and CNN what they show to prisoners at Guantanamo to break them?

It'd sure work on me.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Isn't Fox News and CNN what they show to prisoners at Guantanamo to break them?

It'd sure work on me.
    Hey now. That which doesn't kill you can bore you to death.

About time for my annual sojourn into FarmLandia for Tour de Nebraska. Every hole-in-the-wall salloon and bar is basically perma-set to Fox News.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Sweet Potato Kugel

I ikethe onion.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I only follow Yahoo news because they’re the only ones to tackle the tough stories. Like daily updates on what the Kardashians are up to, the 50 pound tumor that left the doctors speechless, and how Christy Brinkley looks in a bikini now. It’s REAL news that we all need to know about.
    Consider graduating to the Daily Mail. It's the world's greatest source of news you can use, in my highly esteemed opinion.

Boobies!
    NY Times weekend edition delivered ('cause we are fairly local) and that gets us the online site as well.

WaPo you can read online if you have an Amazon Prime membership (as we do) gets me a second major cheap.

Then I have a few sites that I check--including my new fave for careful analysis of legal issues: Lawfare.com Throw in a bit of browsing on some long form sites--New Yorker (we get print so online is free), Atlantic, Rolling Stone and a few others from time to time.

Oddly we have never acquired the habit of watching TV news--even when we used to pay for expensive cable subscriptions. I had an over the air antenna hooked up when we cut the cable, thinking we might, but I finally took it down after it had been up for two years and we had never used it.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can’t imagine using that nasty ink transferring medium anymore... I always hated it. I use algorithm derived Apple News and the like. I will dive deeper as needed. But the days news is there based on the sites you frequent. NPR is always front and center as is Cycling News. I need to be careful of spoilers during a world tour! I read. But I will not read gross paper with blotchy ink. The algorithm gives you your most interested feed. It works well. Oh, and it’s free.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

a real member's member
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

waterproof*
    * not actually a Rock Star

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post

I peruse the aggregator on my iPhone, plus Drudge Report, then at the bottom of Drudge, pick about a half dozen of the site links, trying to skip around and not concentrate on any few sources. At the gym if I'm running I'll put the treadmill TV on CNN with the volume down.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage