Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    2018 meets 1955.

After pondering (and who doesn't like pondering) I remembered a possible contributing factor (to the apparent cure, not the initial problems).

Last week, my area (2500 customers) experienced a power outage (approx 2hr) which was effectively the same as unplugging your 1955 TV to cure it's vertical hold (kids, ask grandpa what "vertical hold" is).

Out of the dozen or so fixes I saw on the web, I don't recall one ever mentioning "unplug the damn thing to insure a true hard boot". Could it have been that simple? I'm putting a rubber mallet nearby in case I need to give the housing a good whap.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    2018 meets 1955.

After pondering (and who doesn't like pondering) I remembered a possible contributing factor (to the apparent cure, not the initial problems).

Last week, my area (2500 customers) experienced a power outage (approx 2hr) which was effectively the same as unplugging your 1955 TV to cure it's vertical hold (kids, ask grandpa what "vertical hold" is).

Out of the dozen or so fixes I saw on the web, I don't recall one ever mentioning "unplug the damn thing to insure a true hard boot". Could it have been that simple? I'm putting a rubber mallet nearby in case I need to give the housing a good whap.

Could be. With Windows 8 (that no one used) and 10 (that everyone had forced on them), in the name of boot speed, Microsoft changed the default shutdown/reboot behavior to only hibernate the kernel and not actually shutdown/reboot fully.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/force...lize-windows-8
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    2018 meets 1955.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Could be. With Windows 8 (that no one used) and 10 (that everyone had forced on them), in the name of boot speed, Microsoft changed the default shutdown/reboot behavior to only hibernate the kernel and not actually shutdown/reboot fully.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/force...lize-windows-8
    When something REALLY NEEDS a true, cold start, I always unplug, and/or remove batteries and hold the power button down for 30 seconds to make sure everything is fully discharged.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12