And The Oscar Goes To...
    RoadBikeReview Member

And The Oscar Goes To...

… does it really matter?

When I was a kid, and a 12" TV screen was average in American homes, the Oscars seemed to be a big deal. A night of TV where you'd see the Stars of the day and be told what films you needed to see. Things have changed.

For this season the Academy was unable to predict fallout from social media "effectively" and is going without a host (apparently) which will prolly cause fallout from social media. But are contests like this relevant in the interconnected and diverse age?

The idea of "BEST" (from a predetermined select small selection of choices) has been flawed since day one. Even a metric like "most views" carries flaws.

So, what do we do with Oscar?

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    … does it really matter?

When I was a kid, and a 12" TV screen was average in American homes, the Oscars seemed to be a big deal. A night of TV where you'd see the Stars of the day and be told what films you needed to see. Things have changed.

For this season the Academy was unable to predict fallout from social media "effectively" and is going without a host (apparently) which will prolly cause fallout from social media. But are contests like this relevant in the interconnected and diverse age?

The idea of "BEST" (from a predetermined select small selection of choices) has been flawed since day one. Even a metric like "most views" carries flaws.

Put some batteries in the base and switch to "Vibrate."
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder View Post
    Put some batteries in the base and switch to "Vibrate."
    I'm listening. Then what do we do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    … does it really matter?

I have zero interest in these award shows and they dont affect what I watch. If the Oscars were cancelled I probably wouldn't even know it

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I've been watching the Academy Awards since I was in diapers. My mother was a bit player and chorus girl in a number of 40's musicals so naturally watching the Academy Awards Show was an integral part of growing up. One year, the editor of Daily Variety (who happened to be the father of one of my sister's grammar school girlfriends) laid a couple of Academy Award show tickets on my mother and aunt.

In any event, I loved watching the damn thing and eventually could rattle off lists of award winners. I also began keeping track of other film awards, such as the ones given away at Cannes. When I eventually found myself in the film business, my fandom and accumulated knowledge really helped.

Now a film biz retiree, for sure I'm not quite as crazed about the Oscars as I used to be. But I still enjoy the broadcast. I still find myself charmed (and yes sometimes outraged) by the glitz and the hype. Despite myself, I'm still emotionally in the game.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I have zero interest in these award shows.
    You probably have some interest, or you wouldn't even post about it. I'll mark you down for 5 percent interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I've been watching the Academy Awards since I was in diapers.
    a few more years, and you'll be in diapers again. see how it all comes around again so perfectly? There's a real order to the universe.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    For this season the Academy was unable to predict fallout from social media "effectively" and is going without a host (apparently) which will prolly cause fallout from social media.
    Last I heard, the Avengers are set to host.

No, seriously.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Proud luddite
    They should change the name of the award for best actress to the Meryl Streep Award cuz she wins the damn thing every time.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    They should change the name of the award for best actress to the Meryl Streep Award cuz she wins the damn thing every time.
    She's on EPO.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Darling of The Lounge
    The Oscars on TV died when Johnny Carson stop hosting.

Now it's just a political blabber-fest and competition for the tallest soapbox.

Russian Troll Farmer
    The Oscars needs another streaker.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    The Oscars needs another streaker.....
    In today's world

A: Condemned for publically ridiculing the clothing challenged
    B: Condemned for publically ridiculing the "shortcoming" impaired
    C: Condemned for not providing verbal discription for hearing impaired
    D: Condemned for exposing chilgren to nudity on TV
    E: Condemned for not showing enuff nudity on TV
    F: Condemned for still keeping David Niven in the closet after his prolonged stare

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Just let the Academy Awards be its shallow, glitzy, self-important self. Haven't seen the films? As Oscar winner Alfred Newman once said, "What? Me worry?"
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Before Pink Hats there were True Colours

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together