Our Biggest Dangers Lay Ahead
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    banned

Our Biggest Dangers Lay Ahead

Everyone is so upset about the prison scandal, yet our biggest dangers lay ahead of us, no thanks to the fiasco known as the Clinton era. It should have been labeled the Clinton error. His handling of the NK nuclear proliferation program has probably placed the greatest threat of nuclear terrorism at our doorstep. I am just amazed at the pass everyone is willing to give him, especially the one from the press, considering that he was degrading our military and intelligence capabilities for eight long years. He pretty much paid for NKs nuclear program, yet Bush is labeled as the root of our problem. He seems to be the only one who truly understands the threats we face and is willing to take proactive action against the tides Clinton helped develop.

N. Korea Accused of Supplying Uranium

VIENNA, Austria -- Evidence gathered by the U.N. atomic agency suggests North Korea was the source of nearly two tons of uranium to Libya as part of attempts by Moammar Gadhaffi to build nuclear warheads, diplomats said Sunday.

The diplomats, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity, cautioned that the investigation was not yet complete and other sources still could not be ruled out.

Still, they said evidence increasingly points to the secretive communist country, leading to fears that it could have supplied other nations with fuel, components and knowledge needed to build nuclear weapons.

The evidence also focuses on the North's secret weapons program using uranium technology. North Korea, initially thought to have only a plutonium-based program, acknowledged developing a parallel program based on uranium enrichment after U.S. disclosures of its existence two years ago, but details remain sketchy.

Pakistan, the key country implicated in a worldwide black market nuclear network, had been thought to be the source of the 1.87 tons of uranium hexafluoride handed over to the Americans in January as part of Libya's voluntary decision to rid itself of weapons of mass destruction.

But "now, we believe that it might have been" North Korea who supplied the substance, said one of the diplomats. "It's a definite possibility."

The diplomat said the evidence from the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency was based on interviews with members of the clandestine network headed by Abdul Qadeer Khan, the Pakistani scientist implicated in selling his country's nuclear secrets to Libya, North Korea, Iran, and possibly other countries.

In its raw form, uranium hexafluoride cannot be used as nuclear fuel - or in warheads. But it is part of the enrichment cycle, using centrifuges to separate isotopes in the process that can make nuclear fuel - or warheads. Libya had purchased hundreds of centrifuges as part of a multimillion dollar enrichment program, with the Khan network as the main supplier.

One of the diplomats said that despite its size, the shipment thought to have come from North Korea would only have been enough to make one small nuclear weapon. When it came clean on its weapons ambitions in December, Libya was far away from achieving that goal.

The evidence collected by the IAEA sheds more light on the North's program using uranium enrichment to make nuclear arms parallel to its better-known plutonium-based activities. North Korea is demanding U.S. economic aid and other concessions in exchange for scrapping its nuclear weapons programs.

Khan, the Pakistani nuclear scientist, has admitted that he provided North Korea with assistance for development of a uranium bomb, something the North Koreans deny

U.S. officials believe North Korea already has one or two nuclear bombs and could make several more within months.

2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Seeking shades of grey
    As a matter of policy, what do you think Clinton should have done differently? As a Clinton supporter, I'll concede that his effort didn't work. I'll go further to say that I don't think Bush is the root of all problems.

Jan 2002

Thumbs down Yet you seem unperturbed. . .

. . .by your boy Bush's buddy-buddy backing of terroritst tolerator and proliferation purveyor Pakistan. Puzzling.

Back from the dead
    Worse than that story is that with Friends and Frasier going off the air this year, and Everybody Loves Raymond leaving next year, the TV sitcom is dying quickly. Instead, there will be more reality shows than ever next season and into the future, and that's something the President and Congress should look at.

Master of flip comments

not everyone loves raymond

Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    Worse than that story is that with Friends and Frasier going off the air this year, and Everybody Loves Raymond leaving next year, the TV sitcom is dying quickly. Instead, there will be more reality shows than ever next season and into the future, and that's something the President and Congress should look at.
    My wife likes that show so occasionally she is watching re-runs while doing other things in the kitchen. I HATE that show. The constant bickering reminds me of when I was a kid. Get a divorce already!

banned

Well to begin with I never would have sent Jimme' Catta' there to negotiate with the little dictator. Carter was in way over his head. Clinton needed to present a strong stance against what we knew was happening there. He signed on to the non-proliferation treaty without requiring inspections. In return NK received billions in "humanitarian aide" which probably went into building their weapons programs. We knew back in 1994 that they were about to complete their nuclear reactor. We needed to act then to destroy it or require that they comply with routine inspections. Additionally I have read that we could have helped them build a plant that used plutonium rather than enriched uranium. Plutonium is harder for them to aquire and easier for us or the UN Nuclear Inspection Agency to track. Clinton took the easy route and of course we will pay for that sometime in the future.

banned
    Pakistan developed their nuclear program while Clinton was in office. The cat's out of the bag now. Now we have to make nice with them. They seem to be willing to help us on the terrorism front, though that may not be a whole-hearted effort.

banned
    Nice to see you take this stuff seriously. Our next reality show may be a nuclear device going off on US soil. That will make for some reality check.

With the Radio On...

A neo-con 2nd term?

That's the bigger danger.

Since you're an avowed troll I'll leave it at this:

Your bullheaded support of this tragically flawed administration and it's refutation of basic governing principles is grotesque and "un-American".

With the Radio On...

Why does anybody love Raymond??

I like the big lug guys voice. But the jokes seem kinda, eh....

Quote Originally Posted by gregario
    My wife likes that show so occasionally she is watching re-runs while doing other things in the kitchen. I HATE that show. The constant bickering reminds me of when I was a kid. Get a divorce already!

banned
    Nice trolling with that post! :O) Why is my post a troll? I made an observation and posted my view on it. You don't find the information disturbing? It's true. We are a target for every fringe nut-case terrorist in the world. Nothing we do or not can or will change that. Please smell the coffee.

What is un-American is someone who supports the idea that we cannot take the initiative to protect ourselves in the face of impending danger. That's un-American. Besides, aren't you Canadian? What do you know about being American?

Jan 2002

Excuses, excuses. nm

. . .

Jan 2002

Thumbs down Besides, what is Bush doing about it?

So far, giving them the "silent treatment" is the only thing he has come up with. No negotiations with Kim until he learns how to behave like a young gentleman.

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by 128
    I like the big lug guys voice. But the jokes seem kinda, eh....
    I've never watched a complete episode myself, but it is a top-10 show, so someone is watching it, and it will leave a hole when it is gone. I won't miss it.

AIE
    midnight melon mounter

Hack reporting.

You're like the local news, whenever you postulate on a subject I know a thing or two about, 2/3 of it is wrong. Pakistan has been working on a nuclear program since the early 1970's with the off and on support of the U.S., Germany, France and USSR.

Pakistan detinated in '98 - "under Clinton".

Alex

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    So far, giving them the "silent treatment" is the only thing he has come up with. No negotiations with Kim until he learns how to behave like a young gentleman.
    the fact is you are left with a diminished capability to negotiate when NK already has what you want to deny them. i havent head any specifics from your white libby knight either. i guess it would be more of the same as clinton; "give them what the want and maybe theyll go away".

Back from the dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Steam
    Nice to see you take this stuff seriously. Our next reality show may be a nuclear device going off on US soil. That will make for some reality check.
    Lots of nuclear devices have gone off on US soil. The last one was in September 1992. Perfect! Now you can blame it on Clinton! The very first one went off in July 1945.

Just for the record, the last three nuclear devices exploded were in Pakistan, in 1998. The Islamic bomb.

The most interesting explosion is 9/22/1979. Officially, no one seems to know who set it off.

http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/level2/nuke.cat.html

Master of flip comments

too funny.

LOL! i'm sure the "Evildoers" will think twice since we're discussing this on RoadBikeReview.

Jan 2002

Yeah. So? nm

. . .

banned
    Everyone has been working on a nuclear program for decades. That doesn't mean we should have let them succeed. I should have been more accurate. Yes Pakistan completed their program under the purview of the Clinton Admin and detonated in '98. Where is the 2/3 I was wrong on? Care to comment on the NK or Lybia situation?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by czardonic
    . . .
    thats what bubba said!

banned
    I am happy to see you know some history, but what's with the flippant repsonse? So you don't believe we are under any threat? Do you live in a major city?

I find it quite ironic that Bush is criticized for many things, but isn't given ant credit for the inroads we've made in Lybia.

Jan 2002

If only GHWB and Dole had been at the helm. . .

. . .we wouldn't be in this mess. Is that what you are suggesting?

Feb 2004
    Everyone has been working on a nuclear program for decades. That doesn't mean we should have let them succeed. I should have been more accurate. Yes Pakistan completed their program under the purview of the Clinton Admin and detonated in '98. Where is the 2/3 I was wrong on? Care to comment on the NK or Lybia situation?
    You complain a lot Steam, but I don't see you or GW coming up with any grand master plan to rid the world of nukes. At the end of the day, the nuclear cat seems to be out of the bag. Maybe we will have to just play nice with the rest of the world now. No...second thought. Let's just bomb the heck out of Iraq and keep the people's minds off the real dangers out there.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones
    You complain a lot Steam, but I don't see you or GW coming up with any grand master plan to rid the world of nukes. At the end of the day, the nuclear cat seems to be out of the bag. Maybe we will have to just play nice with the rest of the world now. No...second thought. Let's just bomb the heck out of Iraq and keep the people's minds off the real dangers out there.

play nice with the rest of the world? that conveys just how far your head is in the sand. you still dont believe that there are extremists and terrorists that swear to their god that they will kill all westerners do you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast