To our fallen Littlest Lounger, Phil. and E
    Lemur-ing

To our fallen Littlest Lounger, Phil. and E

Cancer is a word that strikes fear in our hearts the moment we hear it, whether it's on TV, or from the doctor's mouth about someone, or just reading about it. It's a word that brings people together as well as support is rendered towards those affected. I personally lost my uncle many years ago through brain cancer as he lost his battle. Over the years, I've met and known several cancer survivors and people affected by cancer. The lucky ones win their battle and remind us that, cancer isn't a death sentence, even though the D word is strongly associated with that C word. My parents have lost friends affected by cancer, my friends have lost friends and family and, the world has lost important people because of this. Young or old, cancer doesn't really care. It comes and it throws you into the fight of your life, whether you're ready or not.

Today is a very sad day as a 2year old, yes, a 2 year old boy lost the fight with cancer. Collin Marsh was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (M7 variant. AML for short) at the age of 7 months and he fought a very brave battle for over a year with transplants, ICU stays, steroids, tubes, needles and more meds than any kid should be taking. Collin was thrown into the deep end of the water when he barely has taken enough showers. He was put in the battlefield when he barely held a toy gun. But wow, that kid fought so hard, so bravely and defiantly that he seemed like a season Veteran General from Vietnam, with his army all by his side and providing support fire. He'd be winning the war one day, then forced to retreat a few days later as the rash from the medications cause him to itch and suffer.

We first learnt about Collin through his father, Phil through The Lounge in a cycling forum where we talk about cycling, life, work, shenanigans, family and simply, anything. Collin's story has brought many people in the cycling community together as we rallied around Phil, his wife and Collin in this fight that also became our fight. Phil was one of us and Collin was the youngest Lounger amongst us. We kept praying, hoping, sending good thoughts and looked towards his Caring Bridge site for positive updates from that little man.

Collin's story has been followed very closely by the cycling community and brought many people together. Lance Armstrong dedicated a Twitter post towards this kid earlier today.

Collin has been awe inspiring in always smiling through the hardest times and has certainly made us smile and look at the bigger picture of things. I remember Robert dedicating a portion of his LiveStrong ride last year for Collin and when he found the going tough, he fought on because of that kid who showed us what fighting means. Then, there's Janet as she ran a half marathon with Collin as her inspiration. Then there's Joe, Rob, Dave, Len, Tom and countless others who've also held his image as a source of inspiration. It's undoubted that we've all looked towards that little man for hope and we've also hoped for that little guy.

His parents are amazing people who have been there all throughout and I can only imagine what they're going through. Guys, we grieve with you but also celebrate the life of an amazing young man because the word boy is inadequate.

Collin, today we mourn your passing but keep you in our hearts and use your inspiration to fight our own battles. But, at the same time, your memory lives on in our hearts, stays with us when we run up that hill, lets us know that the last flight of stairs isn't that hard and simply, also makes us smile because God knows how you've made us smile young man. Today we shed tears as you lost your fight. We know you didn't quit because you threw that word and all definition of it out into the sea since you were born. Gone are the needles, the tubes, the grafts, the steroid medications, the tests, the fear and all things bad. We loved you and we will keep on doing so.

Our littlest Lounger reminded us that as hard as life might be, as swamped as we might face ourselves at work, as far as that finish line in our next race may be, we CAN and SHOULD fight and embody the spirit he instilled in all of us. Collin didn't have time - he was forced to be a man immediately before he learnt how to walk but good God oh mighty, I have never seen anyone transition so well, so quickly and so inspiringly as I've seen Collin do and I honestly feel that I have learnt a lot from him, Phil and E.

God had a master plan for you buddy and unfortunately for us all, it didn't include being here long. But, perhaps, it was so you were here long enough to connect us, to help us grow, to help us believe, to show us that there are much more important things out there and, that, we should fight. We do know that, you're gonna be smiling now and you'll finally get the chance to be a kid.

Thank you for sharing your life and this fight with us. Thank you for inspiring us. And lastly, thank you, just thank you Collin and just like your photo shows, you're number one.

My thoughts, prayers and wishes are with you and your family. We'll miss you Collin Marsh.

I leave you with this quote, courtesy of Len J:

Ripples

A child in a place far away
    Touches our heart
    And elicits a supportive reaction
    Shows us the best we can be
    Brings us together
    And then is gone too soon
    Or is he?

Look within you……
    And there he is.

The things we do go on
    Long after we do them
    As will he………

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uzziefly; 05-13-2010 at 05:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Game on, b*tches!
    Nice, uzzie. Tears.....
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

It's complexicated
    Very touching, really beautiful... I'm sure Collin would have liked this.
    Help Support Team Collin. Check out my website MellysArt.com. A portion of every print sold will go to 24 Hours of Booty. All of the proceeds from the note cards goes to support the fight against cancer.

"Hill Repeats are easy. Chemo is hard." ~VaughnA, survivor 24 years and counting

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is truly outstanding.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

Go Blue

The Dream of Gerontius

Sir Edward Elgar's Dream of Gerontius, based on the poem by John Henry Cardinal Newman, is a favorite of mine and I post these excerpts as a tribute to Collin.

PROFICISCERE, anima Christiana, de hoc mundo!
    Go forth upon thy journey, Christian soul!
    Go from this world! Go, in the name of God
    The omnipotent Father, who created thee!
    Go, in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord,
    Son of the living God, who bled for thee!
    Go, in the name of the Holy Spirit, who
    Hath been poured out on thee! Go, in the name
    Of Angels and Archangels; in the name
    Of Thrones and Dominations; in the name
    Of Princedoms and of Powers; and in the name
    Of Cherubim and Seraphim, go forth!
    Go, in the name of Patriarchs and Prophets; And of Apostles and Evangelists,
    Of Martyrs and Confessors; in the name
    Of holy Monks and Hermits; in the name
    Of holy Virgins; and all Saints of God,
    Both men and women, go Go on thy course;
    And may thy place to-day be found in peace,
    And may thy dwelling be the Holy Mount
    Of Sion :—through the Same, through Christ, our Lord.

SOFTLY and gently, dearly-ransomed soul,
    In my most loving arms I now enfold thee,
    And, o’er the penal waters, as they roll,
    I poise thee, and I lower thee, and hold thee.
    And carefully I dip thee in the lake,
    And thou, without a sob or a resistance,
    Dost through the flood thy rapid passage take,
    Sinking deep, deeper, into the dim distance.
    Angels, to whom the willing task is given,
    Shall tend, and nurse, and lull thee, as thou liest;
    And Masses on the earth and prayers in heaven,
    Shall aid thee at the Throne of the most Highest.
    Farewell, but not forever! Brother dear,
    Be brave and patient on thy bed of sorrow;
    Swiftly shall pass thy night of trial here,
    And I will come and wake thee on the morrow.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

"El Bwana"
    Beautiful Uzzie.
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Not Banned

ouch

rest easy lil buddy. you had a hell of a fight.
    my sympathies to all
    dammit didn't expect to cry my eyes out this AM
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Spicy Dumpling
    Beautiful Uzzie.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Just Plain Bitter
    Better words I think could not have been written. They show caring and love. Thanks Uzzie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great job!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    THAT was awesome. Thanks for taking the time and putting it so well.

I'm not like anyone else
    Wow... you have said wonderful things here... all true!

From the first news about Collin... and then your thoughts... many tears!

The news and thoughts reflected by all have completely changed this day.

Blessings to all.

EDB
    I love my coonhound!

Glue Sniffer
    I've been wrecked ever since hearing the news. It feels almost selfish to feel this much pain, to hurt this much, when the pain felt by Collin's parents is so much greater.

The words "we lost our boy today" keep echoing in my head, in my heart. And that sweet smile, the one that always seemed completely oblivious to the difficulties of his complicated little life, I keep seeing it, and keep missing it, and keep mourning it. His smile never asked Why me? It never became angry at the unfairness of it all. His smile never did anything but spread warmth, and love, and an appreciation for those close to us. It connected us. It defined the best of humanity.

Collin. Sweet, sweet Collin.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use.

Yup, I've geeked out and started a blog: www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla
    And that sweet smile, the one that always seemed completely oblivious to the difficulties of his complicated little life, I keep seeing it, and keep missing it, and keep mourning it. .

Me too, Cat, me too...

scruffy nerf herder
    four letter word expletives are my gut reaction, but I neither want to cheapen or trivialize this. It is bizarre how someone most of us have never met can touch our lives or impact us so viscerally. What a fight, what a lesson, and what a wake up call.

My thoughts, prayers, and heartfelt thanks to Phil. I appreciate and am grateful for his sharing this amazing piece of life with us. Its one of the parts of the lounge that keeps me coming back.

I have watched the videos of Colin riding his bike probably 100 times, and still to this day am reminded of the joy and the purity, the hope, and the sunshine that this little guy has brought to us.

This is surreal and for some reason, humbling.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

i like whiskey
    tragic news. I got nothing to add or to say. I wouldn't know where to start.

Prayers for phil and his entire family to find peace.

well done uzzie

Bacon!
    Tears are being shed today. My heart continues to ache for Phil and his wife. . .

disgruntled pigskin fan
    I have nothing to add or say that those before me haven't. Well done uzzie, well done.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

Honey Smack!
    People come into our lives and walk with us a mile,
    and then because of circumstance they only stay a while,
    they serve a need within the days that move so quickly by,
    and then are gone beyond our reach,
    we often wonder why,
    God only knows the reason that we meet and share a smile,
    why people come into our lives and walk with us a mile
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBiker
    I have nothing to add or say that those before me haven't. Well done uzzie, well done.
    I haven't been around here much over the past year and only know the basics of Collin's story, but I echo this sentiment. I'm devastated right now and I never even met him.

If there's any way I can help could someone let me know?
    Stand, you've been sitting much too long
    There's a permanent crease in your right and wrong

Non Non Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by catzilla
    "we lost our boy today"
    I was a mess immediately after hearing the news, but it was those exact words above that sent me into a meltdown. I, too, feel guilty over my tears when I think of phil and E and the pain they must be feeling. It's unimaginable.
    Move along...nothing to see here.

Custom Title= ?

Thanks uzzie...
    Last edited by Bixe; 05-13-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    Qh6+!!

What the Hell is going on
    What the hell is going on? A dear friend of mine didn't come out to visit because she was diagnosed with breast cancer a week prior.

I miss you little buddy . . .
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael