Out of the mouths of....... Mom
    Frog Whisperer

Out of the mouths of....... Mom

My mom's biggest concern in life is (she turns 91 in December) that she will fall in the shower and run out of hot water before someone finds her!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Well, it would be COLD!
    If she has her own house, one could fix that for about $1000.00.
    Does she think it's really going to happen? Put a bunch of grab bars in there!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Medic Alert & tankless water heater...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Fall alert system, ie. Apple watch

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Well, it would be COLD!
    If she has her own house, one could fix that for about $1000.00.
    Does she think it's really going to happen? Put a bunch of grab bars in there!
    She has grab bars, but Akirasho wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    Medic Alert & tankless water heater...
    I think her cell phone is waterproof, but I will forward the recommendation for the instantaneous water heater!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    but I will forward the recommendation for the instantaneous water heater!!!
    Did u know they take a 150A 240V 2P breaker? I see a new electrical service in your future, not her... you'll be putting it in!
    BANNED

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Get her a hot tub?
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife's grandma had a mild stroke in the shower, she must have hit the lever on the way down and turned it up to a scalding level. She never recovered from the burns sustained and eventually passed because of the burn and not the stroke or the fall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    My wife's grandma had a mild stroke in the shower, she must have hit the lever on the way down and turned it up to a scalding level. She never recovered from the burns sustained and eventually passed because of the burn and not the stroke or the fall.
    This hurt me to read. She must have suffered terribly and I'm truly sorry for her.
    Too old to ride plastic

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Did u know they take a 150A 240V 2P breaker? I see a new electrical service in your future, not her... you'll be putting it in!
    Naaa. You can get a small point of use tankless on a 30-50A breaker.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

It depends. Most actually will run on a single 2P 50A breaker, but not efficiently and will only raise the water temp by a few degrees. They typically run 2 to 4 240V circuits of 30 to 50A each depending on the model and size. Initial start may only use 1 or 2 circuits, this depends on the temp of the supply water, and time of year. I run off a well, in summer the supply water is in the 50F range, in winter, it's closer to mid 30's to mid 40s. In the US, you will rarely find a 2P breaker for residential use over 60A (they do make them, but very few appliances, even fully electric heat pumps/forced air HVAC heaters use more than 50A). Once you get to 100A, those are usually used for secondary load centers.

I am looking at them now, and we decided it was more economical to rent a propane bottle (240 pound bottle) and get a LP Tankless heater. Wife was less than enthused about that till I said we can run a line to the kitchen and replace the electric stove with a gas one.. that got her on board I am also in the process of repalcing the 50 year old load center with the new Leviton LB series breakers and a new load center to consolidate my 50 year old one and the one the previous owner added for the dock lights/power. I already have a high electric bill, adding 20kW tankless heater would push it even higher. Upside, they only run when you use water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    OK, here is the deal.
    A low flow shower head @ 1.5GPM would take a 18kw instantaneous heater to heat the water from 40 to 120 deg F. It would require a 100A-2P breaker and if your house isn't wired for it, you would need to change your service out. It's just that simple. You could just look at your panel and just add 100A to that, that is the size you would probably need.
    To go propane or gas would be another option, but they have their problems too! Let me know if you want the issues there.
    The cheapest solution would be to have the plumber install an electric solenoid valve on the line to the head and a control station located 18" off the floor near the shower, if your really serious. That would cost about $500 installed by a contractor.
    I'm in the 'const business', so bring it!
    BANNED

Frog Whisperer
    My mom was joking, first of all, second of all, it is not a single family home it is a condo in a senior, residential development. So I would not be doing any of the work even IF!

When I replaced my hot water heater 6 years ago, I spoke in depth with the co op I get my lp from about a tankless,. Since they have 30 years of my usage records, they laughed at me and told me that it would take decades to recoup my expenses from upgrading the heater, lp tank, gas line and regulator.

And we raised 4 kids, all with long hair (3 girls). With a 30 gallon water heater we NEVER EVER ran out of hot water.

I have also never heard my water heater fire up unless there is something drawing hot water.

With lp for cooking, hot water and furnace (which I use as little as possible, it rarely gets turned on before January), I burn about $400 a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    If she lives in a retirement center, get her a hand held emergency air horn, put it by the shower on the floor..... $5 solution. NEXT!
    BANNED