Outlook/email question for teh IT gooroos - lost attachments.
    Mostly Absent

Question Outlook/email question for teh IT gooroos - lost attachments.

My dad has been trying to send me an OpenOffice document from his Yahoo email account since yesterday. He's done this 100s of x's before, so its not user error on his part. the first too time, it comes through and nothing is there. Just the message.

The last time, I shut off the Outlook and check my email using the webmail access. (I have Bellsouth.net). On the webmail page, the attachment shows up. But when I open Outlook, it goes through the send/receive process and the attachment is gone.

Any ideas what is causing this?

C

PS - I am using Bellsouth's Internet Security Package - virus, email, spyware.

TIA

GIMME MY BIKE!
    Outlook likes to be very security conscious. [insert laughter here] It sometimes removes attachments it deems "unsafe". Is that what you think is happening?

Usually I double click the message title to bring it up in a separate window. The attachment is then listed underneath the subject. If Outlook won't let me right click and save, I highlight the attachment and hit enter, which opens it. Double-clicking it should also.

Mostly Absent
    No, its simply not there. I have plenty of other emails with plenty of useless attachments, like stupid videos.

GIMME MY BIKE!
    No suggestions, then. I'd e-mail microsoft support or something (good luck with that).

Mostly Absent
    OK./ Did some testing. Here's what appears to be happening. attachments from Yahoo.com email addresses are being stripped off or converted into gobbledygook (strgins of characters at teh end of the email.) My wife sent emails from her non-yahoo email account and they went through fine. I sent myself stuff from bellsouth and it was fine. Its only Yahoo addresses.

BUT, if I open the email from the webmail access page, it is there, a normal attachment and I can save it. So, when outlook takes it off the bell south email server, it does something to the attachment.

any ideas?

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy
    OK./ Did some testing. Here's what appears to be happening. attachments from Yahoo.com email addresses are being stripped off or converted into gobbledygook (strgins of characters at teh end of the email.).

BUT, if I open the email from the webmail access page, it is there, a normal attachment and I can save it. So, when outlook takes it off the bell south email server, it does something to the attachment.

any ideas?
    check your mail settings....Tools/Options/Security tab...make sure you're allowing downloaded content.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Mostly Absent
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    check your mail settings....Tools/Options/Security tab...make sure you're allowing downloaded content.
    Yes, I get plenty of other attachments. This seems isolated to Yahoo emails.

also, when it goes to send/receive - it seems to take an awful long time and often gets stuck downloading small emails.

Cat 6
    All attachments? Can he try zipping the doc and then sending?

Kilt wearing, old man

Question

Dumb question. Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?

Stupid answer: Switch to Thunderbird (by Mozilla).
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

Mostly Absent
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPilot
    Dumb question. Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?

Stupid answer: Switch to Thunderbird (by Mozilla).
    blah blah blah.

Shirtcocker

also, when it goes to send/receive - it seems to take an awful long time and often gets stuck downloading small emails.
    I'm a member of Yahoo groups and when I get emails from those the att are stripped. It might just be a Yahoo thing.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Mostly Absent
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocephus Jones II
    I'm a member of Yahoo groups and when I get emails from those the att are stripped. It might just be a Yahoo thing.
    its intersesting that it occurs only when OUtlook downloads them from the server.

I'm trying out thunderbird to see what effect that has.

I'm not like anyone else

I've had similar issues when sending attachments via Yahoo to others... I up load the attachment and it says it's there so I send... on the other end it's not... Hum! I do know they are "working" on several apsects of the service which may or not be your issue.

Also, the ISP I have now , Shentel ("Sh!ttel") limits the size of attachments and won't download them if they are over the limit. I strictly use Outlook for that and I too have many that are just not there and have to go to the web based service for other email client, Comcast, to get them. Same as you describe. Check with Bell South about attachment size limits. That could be your issue. Perhaps, they have filters set that are the issue.

Food for thought!

Good luck... EDB
    I love my coonhound!

Shirtcocker

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I get impatient with long threads so sorry if someone suggested this already, but you might try having your dad zip the file before he sends. As someone posted earlier, Outlook will strip some attachments based on the file extension.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut