parents: any escape artists?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mehpic

parents: any escape artists?

so, i get a call from the wife this morning. she's all panicked because she walks into the kiddo's room, cant find her, the front door is unlocked and open (I locked it last night), as well as the same for the door to the garage (where the kiddo knows how to push the button and make the garage door go up) AND has opened the slider to outdoors in both the kitchen and dining room.

kiddo eventually found in the back yard, after 5 minutes of searching by a hysterical mother. The 2 year old is now on the sh!tlist for the rest of the day. She is taller than most other two yeard olds and is very curious....and very destructive, but that's another set of stories...

yes, a scary morning. I'm purchasing more chain lock things to be put higher on the doors and out of reach this afternoon.

....either that or we're doing a hidden elecric dog fence with the neck collar. handcuffs and a long chain are out of the picture- she could probably pick the lock, escape and chain up the dog.

anyone else have an escape artist?
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Anti-Hero
    I was. I liked to climb things, too, so it was often a similar scenario, but I'd be found in a tree in the back yard. Waaaaaaay up in a tree...
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

waterproof*
    * not actually a Rock Star

waterproof*
    our son was like that. could walk at 9 months and was (still is) an amazing and fearless climber. he'd climb down out of his crib and go wandering the house at night.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138
    I was. I liked to climb things, too, so it was often a similar scenario, but I'd be found in a tree in the back yard. Waaaaaaay up in a tree...
    one worse for us: it's in the kiddo's genes- both teh wife and myself apparently were escape artists as well.

side note: the alder tree that i used to climbs as a little kid is still alive and growing. so cool.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Sticky Valentine
    I tried to run away once when I was like 5 or 6. I went out the back window, fell in to the gigantic overgrown rosebush under my window and started crying for my mom to come and save me.

The moral: plant unmaintained rose bushes around your kid's room.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Strained coccyx etc etc
    my son was the same way. put an alarm system in the house, set for perimeter doors.

or pick up a few inexpensive audible alarms for doors--<$10 each @ radio shack.
    One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    our son was like that. could walk at 9 months and was (still is) an amazing and fearless climber. he'd climb down out of his crib and go wandering the house at night.
    that's an issue as well. the lack of fear got her in a hell of a head whack two nights ago. kid, upside down on couch (feet where your head goes), decides to flip legs back, backward sumersault off the couch and back of head whacks the coffee table. silver-dollar sized knot immediate. we even did some minor tests for concussion signs. thank god for ice packs and that little kids bounce.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    I tried to run away once when I was like 5 or 6. I went out the back window, fell in to the gigantic overgrown rosebush under my window and started crying for my mom to come and save me.

The moral: plant unmaintained rose bushes around your kid's room.

joe

so that's why my parents planted two large holly bushes outside of my room as a kid!

Sticky Valentine
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cflyr
    that's an issue as well. the lack of fear got her in a hell of a head whack two nights ago. kid, upside down on couch (feet where your head goes), decides to flip legs back, backward sumersault off the couch and back of head whacks the coffee table. silver-dollar sized knot immediate. we even did some minor tests for concussion signs. thank god for ice packs and that little kids bounce.

My dad used to say about me (and I quote): "Don't worry about it, little kids' bones are kind of bendable."

Funny how that only applied to me and none of my siblings or nephew.....

joe

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by haiku d'etat
    my son was the same way. put an alarm system in the house, set for perimeter doors.

or pick up a few inexpensive audible alarms for doors--<$10 each @ radio shack.
    i hate car/house alarms. i think i'm going the mechanical route. locks at the 4' level off of the ground ought to work.

donuts?
    turned his bedroom doorknob around so the door locked from the outside and locked him in. seems cruel, but you aren't pulling your kid out of the neighbor's pool at 4am. only needed to do this for a month or so.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees

i have that on my facebook page and send it to my wife when she's having a rough time with the kiddo. it gets a laugh.

//funny part- the kid in the pic looks a little like ours.

I drank what?
    Yeah go with the alarm. Most of the home alarms can be set up so that if someone opens the doors it will go off. Or you can install a flush bolt type bolt at the top of your door so the kid can reach it.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron
    turned his bedroom doorknob around so the door locked from the outside and locked him in. seems cruel, but you aren't pulling your kid out of the neighbor's pool at 4am. only needed to do this for a month or so.
    already done- "dutch" door (top half and bottom open seperately). but when teh wife did diaper/bottle duty last night she didnt re-lock the door.

even better: when she's playing in her room we can't leave the upper half of her door open- she's strong enough to do a pullup to the top of the door, reach over and unkock the door.

Sticky Valentine
    already done- "dutch" door (top half and bottom open seperately). but when teh wife did diaper/bottle duty last night she didnt re-lock the door.

even better: when she's playing in her room we can't leave the upper half of her door open- she's strong enough to do a pullup to the top of the door, reach over and unkock the door.

But have have you given him the "dutch oven" treatment yet?

joe

Back from the dead
    anyone else have an escape artist?
    My 18 month-old is definitely an escape artist. He can get out of almost anything. Handles, latches, clasps are no match for him. Our joke is that he could bust of out a locked jail cell using only a piece of celery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    But have have you given him the "dutch oven" treatment yet?

joe

no, but i got el kiddo out of the car last night before we went to dinner with my dad and the kiddo ripped 4 big ones, right in a row, while in my arms.

we walked in giggling.

funnay part: we were walking into a mexican joint.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by mohair_chair
    My 18 month-old is definitely an escape artist. He can get out of almost anything. Handles, latches, clasps are no match for him. Our joke is that he could bust of out a locked jail cell using only a piece of celery.
    our kids should never meet unless we want to see something like oceans 11 happen in real life. ...wait- we might be able to profit from this.....nevermind!

///needs a few air holes and some vegetation for that "terrarium"

Clyde-o-Matic
    When my wife was 3, she got out of the slide out bunk on a pop-up camper at night. Freaked her parents out when they went to open the locked door to the camper because somebody was beating on it at 3:00 AM to find their daughter trying to get in the camper.

Anti-Hero
    i hate car/house alarms. i think i'm going the mechanical route. locks at the 4' level off of the ground ought to work.
    Unless you're talking about a deadbolt w/a removable key, you'd better go ahead & bolt down all of the furniture that's <60 pounds.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

remodeling...me
    My mother used to put my older brother in a harness attached to a lead in the yard. My grandfather thought it was inhumane, so he told my mother he was going to unhook my brother. He spent the next hour chasing my brother through the neighborhood until Mom finally took pity and got in the car to go find my brother.
    I got attached as well, I have vague memories of my brother taunting me and me hitting the end of the lead.
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    invisible fence and a shock collar......you are welcome
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Mehpic
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterrn
    invisible fence and a shock collar......you are welcome
    thanks for reading my original poast.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    thanks for reading my original poast.
    I don't have kids, I didn't understand.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast