Paris

Thread: Paris

Eddy 53:11

Paris

Gonna be in Paris fer a week mid June. Staying 2 blocks from the Arch De Troimphe. No car, no fam. Done all the tourist stuff a year ago.

WHAT am I missing that's a walk, metro or rental bike (OFO) away?

I know there are a couple here who have lived there. Ideas?
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I had a long involved post and it was blinked gone. Internet stuff.
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 01:35 AM.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Eat couscous at a neighborhood Algerian/Lebanese place. Eat dinner at the nearest Brasserie, it hardly matters which particular one. In the morning, tumble down to the nearest cafe for a croissant and a cafe creme (coffee with heated cream). Stand at the bar. Don't eat at a table. It usually costs more. Go to the Arts e Metiers technical museum.

Just walk the streets. Go to an outdoor market.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Eat couscous at a neighborhood Algerian/Lebanese place. Eat dinner at the nearest Brasserie, it hardly matters which particular one. In the morning, tumble down to the nearest cafe for a croissant and a cafe creme (coffee with heated cream). Stand at the bar. Don't eat at a table. It usually costs more. Go to the Arts e Metiers technical museum.

Completely Agree.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member

Eddy 53:11
    Eat couscous at a neighborhood Algerian/Lebanese place. Eat dinner at the nearest Brasserie, it hardly matters which particular one. In the morning, tumble down to the nearest cafe for a croissant and a cafe creme (coffee with heated cream). Stand at the bar. Don't eat at a table. It usually costs more. Go to the Arts e Metiers technical museum
    THAT'S about all else I was planning Mapei except a few more details you provided. I believe that's what Paris is all about.

AFA the Yellow Vest folks, probably a good time.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

This. I was in Paris with my family for a week last summer. I've been there a few time before that. I love the energy of that city. If you've already seen all the tourist stuff, then even better since there's no pressure.

Hang out in some of the different areas. Walk around and experience the vibe. Eat fresh crepes from one of the ladies who makes them right there on the sidewalk. Have a fresh baguette. Or even two. Get some brie and a bottle of Bordeaux to with it. Rent a bike and ride around a little. Paris actually has pretty good bicycle infrastructure in some areas.

Take your time. Be spontaneous. I could easily spend a summer there just doing "nothing". Have fun!
    Last edited by TimV; 1 Week Ago at 10:15 AM.

Neophyte
    You absolutely have to visit Notre Dame Cathedral. It is amazing inside. A lot of famous landmarks end up being ho-hum... but it's just amazing, especially when you consider how old it is.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    You absolutely have to visit Notre Dame Cathedral. It is amazing inside. A lot of famous landmarks end up being ho-hum... but it's just amazing, especially when you consider how old it is.
    You do realize that Notre Dame just had a major fire and is closed, don't you? I mean, it was in ALL the newscasts a couple weeks back...Or are you just trolling?

Besides, Notre Dame is firmly in the 'tourist stuff' category.

BTW, considering the Malets Jaunes, you might not want to be there on a weekend...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    You do realize that Notre Dame just had a major fire and is closed, don't you? I mean, it was in ALL the newscasts a couple weeks back...Or are you just trolling?
    I don't think it was a troll inasmuch as the points you made... I see tongue drilling it's way through a cheek!

Neophyte
    It was a poor attempt at humor, my lounge-ness is rusty. But with all the money that's been pledged to repair, they'll probably have free wifi throughout the building when they're done!

Proud luddite
    Not a whole lot going on in Paris but it's only a 2-hour drive to Dallas, where there are many more things to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    It was a poor attempt at humor, my lounge-ness is rusty. But with all the money that's been pledged to repair, they'll probably have free wifi throughout the building when they're done!
    I haven't tried it yet, but AF Museum is temporarily offering "Histopads" that allow you to see "inside" certain exhibits through an iPad like device. As reconstruction begins with limited tours though certain areas, I'm sure they will offer similar devices to show what it will look like when finished.

Sweet Potato Kugel

6e arrondissement

Quote Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
    THAT'S about all else I was planning Mapei except a few more details you provided. I believe that's what Paris is all about.
    Jet lagged folkes are up late visting Paris. The VIe arrondissement is really quaint and friendly coinciding with Mapie's comments and your desires on crÍpe. Loads of travelers walking the streets late hours with everything open.

Nice place to walk, eat and visit.

https://www.lesrestos.com/critiques/...enouille-75006

Roger la Grenouille - 28 Rue des Grands Augustins, 75006 Paris.

https://www.travelfranceonline.com/p...rrondissement/
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 02:43 AM.

Boobies!
    It's been a while for us, but one thing we found that are fabulous are the Museum passes that are sold in the Metro stations (and probably elsewhere)--it gives you priority admission to the majors like the Louvre. The day we were using ours, we were getting ready to line up at opening time, and some nice functionary saw that we had the passes and waved us through--which meant we could go directly to the Mona Lisa and have a quiet 10 minutes looking at it and other stuff before the hordes hit.

https://en.parisinfo.com/what-to-see...is-museum-pass

It was even better in the afternoon at the Musee d"Orsay (former train station, full of great stuff)--it was the usual Paris drizzle, a line that was at least a block long--and we showed the pass and bypassed the line, since the long line was to purchase tickets.

Agree with the 'walk around and look' school of thought. I also love the two high-end grocery stores--Hedillard and Fauchon--they are pretty close together--pretty much anything there is great (they have a tea room). Also Mariage Frere for teas is fabulous.
    Last edited by paredown; 1 Week Ago at 10:23 AM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Check out The Origin of the World painting at the Musee D'Orsay.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dammit I need to get back there ASAP. Might be a little hard to swallow the changes since I was last there though.

I agree about the middle-eastern food, loved those restaurants. Don't need to spend much to eat extremely well. Fauchon has declined in quality this past decade or so, but I'd still want to visit.