Paved my driveway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Paved my driveway

After over 16 years in our house, we finally paved the driveway. At least part of the reason is that Iíve crashed a couple of times due to soft gravel. That and ease of plowing in winter. But I liked the look of the gravel drive better.

PS: no idea why the first picture posted 3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DocRogers; 09-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    What's easier and less expensive to maintain; gravel or pavement? Just curious.

FYI; I was reading Sunday newspaper real estate column, and the person who wrote the columnist was selling their house, which had a gravel driveway. People loved the house but disliked the gravel driveway and would not bid on the house.

Getting frustrated at the house not selling, the owner paved the driveway and it sold within 2 weeks.

Shortly thereafter, the new owners complained to the former owner that the garage was flooding during rain, and they threatened the former owner with lawsuits for being deceitful during the sale and not disclosing the issue, if they didn't pony up the repair costs.

Well, just so happens the driveway, unlike yours in the photos, sloped TOWARD the garage. With the gravel driveway gone, drainage decreased significantly, leading to the garage flooding problem.

The columnist's solution was a French drain, but I don't recall how they suggested settling ownership of the costs.

Here's hoping you don't have water pooling problems anywhere-you've got no one to sue!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gravel was easy enough to maintain in summer: just run the tractor with the grader blade over it after every heavy rain, when it would wash out. And the sand would collect at the bottom of the hill and make it very sketchy to ride a bike through. In winter Iíd plow gravel up onto the lawn, which always made my wife happy. Or it would freeze to solid ice, necessitating many sanding runs. Asphalt will be different, and hopefully easier.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    That looks good. We just have a small gravel cutout for parking and I very much want to get a full driveway and carport.

Frog Whisperer
    I have a gravel driveway, about 10 feet wide and 600 feet long, Most of the driveway is easy to maintain, there is a steep section that does wash during a heavy rain, I just scrape the gravel back and it's fine. I had gotten a price to pave it years ago, about 50K plus. Nope. Also, it gets almost zero direct sunlight so in the winter the gravel at least provides some traction when it gets mixed in with the ice. It is kind of glacial at times!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I have a gravel driveway, about 10 feet wide and 600 feet long, Most of the driveway is easy to maintain, there is a steep section that does wash during a heavy rain, I just scrape the gravel back and it's fine. I had gotten a price to pave it years ago, about 50K plus. Nope. Also, it gets almost zero direct sunlight so in the winter the gravel at least provides some traction when it gets mixed in with the ice. It is kind of glacial at times!
    I've always wondered how often you have to add new gravel and run a grader over it. I assume you have some type of tractor.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've always wondered how often you have to add new gravel and run a grader over it. I assume you have some type of tractor.
    For decades I had a tractor with rear scraper blade, now I have a bobcat 773 with heated cab which makes it so much easier for snow removal. (at sub zero temps) I get some fresh gravel about every ten years. I have 10 inches of 4 inch road bed material and about 8 inches of traffic bond (crushed with fines) on top of that. I have had a pro with a dozer come in a few times. (since 1983}

Doc Rogers has some nice equipment too. 20 below and 20 inches of snow gets harder as we get older!

Master debator.
    Wish we could afford to do ours but it is very similar to TOG's in length and sun exposure. About every year we have it graded, every 3 to 5 new gravel added. This spring was the first year we said screw it and did not rake the gravel out of the lawn from the snowplow, it just gets to be so much work. I have a power rake available and that even sucks lol.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Matnlely Dregaend
    I hate riding on roads where houses have gravel driveways. Inevitably there is gravel washed out on the road and this forces me to swerve way out towards the median. I consider them very bike unfriendly.
    ďBicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.Ē - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    I hate riding on roads where houses have gravel driveways. Inevitably there is gravel washed out on the road and this forces me to swerve way out towards the median. I consider them very bike unfriendly.
    My gravel never ends up in the road, ever. That would be incredibly poor design!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Wish we could afford to do ours but it is very similar to TOG's in length and sun exposure. About every year we have it graded, every 3 to 5 new gravel added. This spring was the first year we said screw it and did not rake the gravel out of the lawn from the snowplow, it just gets to be so much work. I have a power rake available and that even sucks lol.
    I don't have much lawn and where I do, I don't pile snow up

RoadBikeReview Member

Paved my driveway

For decades I had a tractor with rear scraper blade, now I have a bobcat 773 with heated cab which makes it so much easier for snow removal. (at sub zero temps) I get some fresh gravel about every ten years. I have 10 inches of 4 inch road bed material and about 8 inches of traffic bond (crushed with fines) on top of that. I have had a pro with a dozer come in a few times. (since 1983}

Doc Rogers has some nice equipment too. 20 below and 20 inches of snow gets harder as we get older!
    Yes we do get a tad bit of snow sometimes here. Sometimes a couple of feet.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Nice. We have a brand new driveway for our brand new house. A real pleasure riding on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    We get our driveway paved tomorrow. Super stoked. We had a short steep driveway about 2500 - 3000sf and we added another section together it totals over 6000sf. Its about 50-60% more parking area and much easier to pull in and out of. Now just waiting to have it paved. Its not cheap but totally worth it. Ill post pics when its done.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Happening now...

Master debator.
    Nice!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    And here is the finished product

Now we wait....

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by wilmingtech View Post
    And here is the finished product

Now we wait....

That's a lot of driveway! DocRogers, also has a lot of driveway as well. Wholie Cow!
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I don't have much lawn and where I do, I don't pile snow up
    That's a signal of someone who knows their grade. No pun intended.

Okay here's my question? You're going to live a long and prosperous life on a property, why not go cobble? Do it in sections each year? Not directed at you or anyone else in this thread, just an obseration from work being down around these parts.

Longevity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Okay here's my question? You're going to live a long and prosperous life on a property, why not go cobble?
    There are a few reasons:
    1. Cost
    2. Cost
    3. Cost

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Okay here's my question? You're going to live a long and prosperous life on a property, why not go cobble? Do it in sections each year? Not directed at you or anyone else in this thread, just an obseration from work being down around these parts.

Longevity

That cobble is pretty. And you could pretend your riding Paris>Roubais every time you ride out and come back. At least for a few seconds anyway.

I think we will own our property until the end but doubt we will live here the entire time. Most likely will be a rental at some point in the future.

And cobblestone will run you 3 times as much per SF before adding in the labor.

But that cobble does look sexy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cobbles are great until I hit one with the plow. The main point (not the only point, but the main one) of this exercise was to simplify winter maintenance. Pavement does that; cobbles donít.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    Cobbles are great until I hit one with the plow. The main point (not the only point, but the main one) of this exercise was to simplify winter maintenance. Pavement does that; cobbles donít.

plowing cobbles is awful. Plowing old cobbles is a nightmare. Way worse than plowing gravel and I hate plowing gravel. We have a huge driveway area and weíve considered paving it for years. Iíd love to. Itís expensive though and I canít resolve the look with a colonial era property. We did white pea gravel once and it looked great but was a terrible functional idea. Zero traction on the small rounded stones and it plowed away worse than anything else. Running the snow blower over it was like firing a machine gun with no barrel.
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post

For a decade's my driveway was 3 to 4 inch road bed material, and I used a thrower, single stage auger. One day my father in law noticed the crow bar that I kept tucked under my fender. He asked, is that for prying stones out of the driveway, "nope, for prying rocks out of the auger!!.... Moved from that to a Farmall C, with real grader blade I modified to work. From there to a Massey 35 with 6 foot snow bucket and a rear blade., now, I use a Bobcat 773 with a heated cab and bucket. I miss the rear blade, but I am will to trade it for a heated cab!!!! A 1000 feet at 20 below....... Ugh, to the open cockpit

Frog Whisperer

Longevity

You have to be kidding? Poured concrete would be cheaper than cobbles ' for sure. I put a granite cobble drive in for my parents, used cobbles from the entrance to the the steel mills in PA. About a 6 car parking area and a 24 x 30 patio, took 2 years of summers and I would never do it again! I actually have 2 of the extra cobbles in the north wall of my house (18 inch, load bearing stone walls.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast