pecan pie

Printable View

• 09-16-2009
    loudog
    pecan pie
    did pecan pie exist before karo syrup? if so, how was it made?
  • 09-16-2009
    bikeboy389
    Probably.

Molasses and simple syrup (cane sugar and water in equal measure), most likely.
  • 09-16-2009
    LWP
    Corn syrup didn't show up until the late 1800's and pies similar to pecan pie have been around much longer than that. The British treacle tart is similar (minus the pecans, plus a little lemon and breadcrumbs) and has been around at least since the early 1500's. It uses golden syrup (which is made from cane sugar). The Pennsylvania Dutch shoofly pie is also similar (again, minus the pecans). It uses molasses which obviously has a stronger flavor than corn syrup but the filling texture is similar. Maple pie from Quebec is very similar but contains walnuts instead of pecans and uses maple syrup instead of corn syrup. There's even a honey pie which is pretty much identical to pecan pie but with walnuts and honey instead of pecans and corn syrup. Basically, any type of sugar syrup (or combo of syrups) will work depending on the flavor you want. Pecan pie as it's known today didn't exist before corn syrup (at least I haven't found any mention of it anywhere and I do a lot of food history research) but I'd be very surprised if it didn't exist in some form with a different syrup as the base.
  • 09-16-2009
    old_fuji
    omg, i NEED a slice of pecan pie and a cup of coffee. omgomgomg...omg

o
    m
    g

poo, i'm out of coffee :(
  • 09-16-2009
    RonSchon
    Did fried chicken exist before KFC?
  • 09-16-2009
    Sylint
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonSchon
    Did fried chicken exist before KFC?

No, it came to be during the little known period of time known as the "Food Age" that followed the industrial revolution.

Little known fact, Taco's also came to be during this time with such wonderfully inventive chefs working for the great culinary establishments, Taco Bell and Taco Bueno.
  • 09-16-2009
    Creakyknees
    I once had KFC as a client and I do indeed know what the 11th spice is.