Planning a 50th birthday trip. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    So I should buy a new road bike or carbon fat bike when I get back?
    G
    R
    A
    V
    E
    L

after all, this is 2018.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Glad you're going. Me and Sogno had a fine time in Patagonia and Torres del Paine. I can't remember much about El Calafate as it is more or less simply the nearest airport town to the Torres del Paine (where we spent the most time), but we did have a fine time in the town of Ushuaia, the area's major seaport. Some of the best damn fish and seafood we've ever eaten. The cruise through the Strait of Magellan got us up close to walruses and penguins. Whales. Then there's the cruise to the spectacular glacier (the name of which escapes me now). Buenos Aires is very civilized and enjoyable. Go to a nice smoky parrilla, a barbecue place, and scarf down a super good steak.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

gazing from the shadows
    ... carbon fat bike ...
    It's going to be a tank no matter what. Why would you spend to get a carbon frame on a fat bike?

Enjoy the trip!!!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Master debator.
    I can't believe you'd even be against someone buying another bike, that's so wrong and a good carbon fatty can be under 25 lbs which is yuge compared to a 38 lb cheapie.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Prboably super later to the part but I feel compelled to share my lame recommend. Chamonix Mont Blanc area? 40 minutes away from the airport (GVA).

This place is magical: Hotel Chetzeron in Crans-Montana | Altitude¬*2112m | Restaurant Panoramic | Switzerland

also a short drive from the lakes of northern italy (Lago Como, Maggiore, Lugano) where you can link up with https://lakecomocycling.com/

for guided tours of all the storied grand tour climbs.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Master debator.
    Actually I am hoping to get into UTMB which is a trail race there, and then we can make it a vacation around that event. I think the wife wants to do more of a "lazy" cycling vacation though, rather than an aerobic one. Good mention though!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    It's going to be a tank no matter what. Why would you spend to get a carbon frame on a fat bike?

Enjoy the trip!!!
    Friend of mine has a 21 pound fat bike. Thatís a tank?

gazing from the shadows
    I can't believe you'd even be against someone buying another bike, that's so wrong and a good carbon fatty can be under 25 lbs which is yuge compared to a 38 lb cheapie.
    And how much of that 13lb difference is due to the frame? On my MTB, the alloy version adds a pound over the carbon, iirc from when I was researching.

I'm not against anyone buying a new bike, or any bike they like for that matter. Personally, I don't want a carbon frame on a bike I know will hit/grind against things at some point, but your mileage and bank account may differ. And certainly when racing, if it matters to you how you do, seeking a competitive advantage is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Friend of mine has a 21 pound fat bike.
    Nice for your friend, assuming you have seen it on an accurate scale. When tires alone tip the scale at 4.5 lbs or so for the pair, seeking super light total bike weight seems foolish to me.

Seat's not level
    I'm not really into it that much, but the wife is, so I'll humor her. So far looking at Patagonia or Annapurna for some hiking. Tierra Del Fuego looks really cool, but we were thinking this April already. We like to have relatively active vacations and not a lot of down time or laying around. Everest base camp is out, too many days I only want to take about 9 days total if I can.

Suggestions? I'm just browsing right now, but serious about going somewhere.
    Italy was quite fun. Went with another couple when both of us husbands turned 50. Quite the trip.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm planning on hitting Mallorca for my 50th some time next year. Pretty much a cyclist bucket list destination imho.

Master debator.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'm not really into it that much, but the wife is, so I'll humor her. So far looking at Patagonia or Annapurna for some hiking. Tierra Del Fuego looks really cool, but we were thinking this April already. We like to have relatively active vacations and not a lot of down time or laying around. Everest base camp is out, too many days I only want to take about 9 days total if I can.

Suggestions? I'm just browsing right now, but serious about going somewhere.
    What are you looking for? A wilderness hiking experience or a beautiful scenery/hiking experience in the mountains--or something else?

Master debator.
    I'm just back from Patagonia. Going through photos and stuff. Planning for 2 years from now though, New Zealand quite possibly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I'm just back from Patagonia. Going through photos and stuff. Planning for 2 years from now though, New Zealand quite possibly.
    One of my very favorite places on earth (and I've been to many) is the Dolomites for both biking and hiking. It's the one place that keeps me wanting to come back

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, 50. Went to the dr office and they actually had a magazine dedicated to "over 50". Geez.....I dare say I can just about out run anybody that I see.
    So I tuned the Larrivee, drop D, then DADGAD.

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Glad you're going. Me and Sogno had a fine time in Patagonia and Torres del Paine. I can't remember much about El Calafate as it is more or less simply the nearest airport town to the Torres del Paine (where we spent the most time), but we did have a fine time in the town of Ushuaia, the area's major seaport. Some of the best damn fish and seafood we've ever eaten. The cruise through the Strait of Magellan got us up close to walruses and penguins. Whales. Then there's the cruise to the spectacular glacier (the name of which escapes me now). Buenos Aires is very civilized and enjoyable. Go to a nice smoky parrilla, a barbecue place, and scarf down a super good steak.
    My lovely wife did the same loop in Chile--it counts as her most memorable vacation, and she has been everywhere. She was especially tickled with the Torres del Paine since Paine is her maiden name. Apparently when she visited there, there were small cabanas that you could overnight in, so not just leave with the day trippers on the daily bus...

She loved Santiago too--it reminded her of beaux artes Paris in the older nabes...

Sadly the trip was with a previous boyfriend, not me.

:>(
    "A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect."
    William J.H. Boetcker

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    G
    R
    A
    V
    E
    L

after all, this is 2018.
    Yup. This one is a heck of an adventure bike. https://rideblue.com/gravel-store/ The prototype built up with Ultegra was 19 pounds
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    We did a few of the things you mentioned. Due to time constraints we didn't do nearly all the things we wanted to, so we had to choose. Basically we stayed one night in Buenos Aires, and did the Argentina Experience, which is basically a long night of dinner, drinks, and meeting other people from around the world. Walking around the city we felt safe, and we also ate a great outdoor place for lunch.

From there to El Calafate, where we did a horseback ride in the hills above Lago Argentina, then Perito Moreno glacier the next day. The next morning we went to El Chalten, the hot spot for trekking, and did the Cerro Torre hike, and the next day the Fitz Roy hike. The next morning we got up and did whitewater rafting on the Fitz Roy river, much better rapids than we were expecting. We went back to El Calafate after the rafting, this was Christmas day and we stayed up way too late socializing with a couple from Holland and drank too much Malbec!

Our Christmas eve dinner was a disappointment in El Chalten, but we recovered by stopping at another place and having some pisco and Calafate sours.

The next day we traveled to Torres del Paine for 5 days/4 nights hiking the W trek. We had all of our meals prepaid for and we stayed in refugios, and we met some wonderful people. I didn't do the math until the later, but the pico sours and beer at the refugios was almost $9 American a pop, but we were on vacation so whatever I guess.

The vacation ended with a catamaran ride back to the start, then one quick night in Puerto Natales before the two days travel home. We arrived back in Buenos Aires new year's eve, and watched from the balcony of our hotel room all of the fireworks etc. Our taxi driver that picked us up from the airport brought two glasses and a bottle of champagne, which was nice as we drank that on the ride to our hotel.

Things we would do next time would be to visit Ushuaia, Iguazu falls, and some mountain biking.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    We did a few of the things you mentioned. Due to time constraints we didn't do nearly all the things we wanted to, so we had to choose. Basically we stayed one night in Buenos Aires, and did the Argentina Experience, which is basically a long night of dinner, drinks, and meeting other people from around the world. Walking around the city we felt safe, and we also ate a great outdoor place for lunch.

From there to El Calafate, where we did a horseback ride in the hills above Lago Argentina, then Perito Moreno glacier the next day. The next morning we went to El Chalten, the hot spot for trekking, and did the Cerro Torre hike, and the next day the Fitz Roy hike. The next morning we got up and did whitewater rafting on the Fitz Roy river, much better rapids than we were expecting. We went back to El Calafate after the rafting, this was Christmas day and we stayed up way too late socializing with a couple from Holland and drank too much Malbec!

Our Christmas eve dinner was a disappointment in El Chalten, but we recovered by stopping at another place and having some pisco and Calafate sours.

The next day we traveled to Torres del Paine for 5 days/4 nights hiking the W trek. We had all of our meals prepaid for and we stayed in refugios, and we met some wonderful people. I didn't do the math until the later, but the pico sours and beer at the refugios was almost $9 American a pop, but we were on vacation so whatever I guess.

The vacation ended with a catamaran ride back to the start, then one quick night in Puerto Natales before the two days travel home. We arrived back in Buenos Aires new year's eve, and watched from the balcony of our hotel room all of the fireworks etc. Our taxi driver that picked us up from the airport brought two glasses and a bottle of champagne, which was nice as we drank that on the ride to our hotel.

Things we would do next time would be to visit Ushuaia, Iguazu falls, and some mountain biking.
    Ah, yes -- Perito Moreno. A massive cliff made of ice. Sogno did a horseback ride, as well. I think I took a nap instead. We also took the ferry from Buenos Aires to Uruguay. Had a fine lunch and then returned to B.A. with four new stamps in our passports.
    Last edited by Mapei; 01-03-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

gazing from the shadows
    We did a few of the things you mentioned. Due to time constraints we didn't do nearly all the things we wanted to, so we had to choose.
    Sounds like you chose well, and had a great time.

Not Banned
    good choice but again, you need to learn to fly fish )
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Non non normal
    I cant Wait to see the pictures

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Did you go to Torres del Paine in Chile? Cause that was awesome.

Master debator.
    Yes we did, we hiked the "W" which took 5 days/4 nights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12