Planning a 50th birthday trip.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master debator.

Planning a 50th birthday trip.

I'm not really into it that much, but the wife is, so I'll humor her. So far looking at Patagonia or Annapurna for some hiking. Tierra Del Fuego looks really cool, but we were thinking this April already. We like to have relatively active vacations and not a lot of down time or laying around. Everest base camp is out, too many days I only want to take about 9 days total if I can.

Suggestions? I'm just browsing right now, but serious about going somewhere.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Proud luddite
    Vegas, baby!

Darling of The Lounge
    Las Vegas, New Mexico?

Seriously...consider New Zealand.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    thinking this April... Suggestions?
    storm chasing on the prairie!

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    My favorite vacation was probably Easter Island. I mainly appreciated the socio-environmental history of the island and the laid-back Polynesian vibe - although it was tempered by the hyper latin influence.

I'm not sure about bike rentals (they have them but they may be junkers) but you certainly could spend a couple days riding. My wife and I did a lot of running and an entire (fairly grueling) day's hike around the roadless north side of the island. There are a handful of shorter hikes you could also do along with some ocean-based activities.

The food is pretty spectacular too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hike Machu Picchu

Attached Images Attached Images

gazing from the shadows
    Patagonia or Tierra Del Fuego I would personally put over anything in the Himalayas. I am assuming more douchebags go to Annapurna, but douchebags are plentiful everywhere, so ymmv.

I think going to the "end of the world" is a memorable thing, and TdF is pretty much that.

Given your time frame, consider travel time, and acclimation time for the higher altitude locations. Annapurna's base camp is 13,500', and that is seriously high. I can take 8k no problem, 10k hurts a bit when riding, but 13k' of elevation is a serious problem for physical activity for me without a week at lower altitudes. And no picnic even after a week.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    consider travel time, and acclimation time for the higher altitude locations.
    This is a good point.

When we visited Peru we met some folks (Aussies and a few others) that lost a day or two of their vacations due to altitude related issues in Cuzco (about 12k ft). My wife and I live around 5k ft and play in mountains around 10k so we didn't have too much of an issue - but it was still noticeable. The coca helped.

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Patagonia or Tierra Del Fuego I would personally put over anything in the Himalayas. I am assuming more douchebags go to Annapurna, but douchebags are plentiful everywhere, so ymmv.

I think going to the "end of the world" is a memorable thing, and TdF is pretty much that.

Given your time frame, consider travel time, and acclimation time for the higher altitude locations. Annapurna's base camp is 13,500', and that is seriously high. I can take 8k no problem, 10k hurts a bit when riding, but 13k' of elevation is a serious problem for physical activity for me without a week at lower altitudes. And no picnic even after a week.

Patagonia's ideal vacation season isn't the best for our plans, but it looks awesome, and is still a consideration. Annapurna would most definitely take longer. I have 5 weeks of vacation, but the wife leaves her small business when we travel so she loses money.

Elevation isn't normally a problem, we both summited Kili last Christmas morning for example, but the problem is you never know when it might bite you in the ass when you've been good for years beforehand. I've since taken to using Diamox just to help out as much as possible, according to most of the people and guides in Tanzania we talked with it's best to just take it beforehand, and have it with you.

Neophyte

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I turn 50 next year too. Iím not big for celebrating stuff like that either but I am seriously considering finally doing the Italy LíEroica ride

Non non normal
    That is pretty nice of your wife. I think we went to the lunch Chinese buffet for my 50th.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

I make Eagles fly
    I the middle of planning my retirement trip, not 50 yet, but ..... I think I have my wife convinced to let me fly to Canada and cycle down the west coast to Mexico. 2 weeks, 1900 miles, no kids , no work, just cruise on down. Pack minimal gear, figure Iíll stay in a hotel every other night.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

Seat's not level
    hookers and blow... maybe with beets and a corgi
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    That is pretty nice of your wife. I think we went to the lunch Chinese buffet for my 50th.

Well my wife's birthday is normally a week long celebration so I guess I'm due a few days myself since I normally don't give a rip about it otherwise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Well my wife's birthday is normally a week long celebration .
    That's how we roll in our house too although it usually just means the other does more cooking and cleaning than usual.

My wife's birthday is November 16 and mine is January 2nd. Between T-giving, Xmas, New Years, and the birthdays I'm almost too old to survive the amount of partying that happens.

Spicy Dumpling
    This summer's Grand Canyon Raft trip was way up there for our adventures. We did a motor trip (8 days) due to time constraints but a 14 day oar or paddle trip would be high on the list. Lots of hiking each day along with river and camp time. Its not international but it was incredible and the place is magic and the company (a few loungers) was great. We cancelled a European trip to make this one. We are considering delaying another Euro trip to do it again.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

banned
    Jun 2008
    I'm not really into it that much, but the wife is, so I'll humor her. So far looking at Patagonia or Annapurna fOur r some hiking. Tierra Del Fuego looks really cool, but we were thinking this April already. We like to have relatively active vacations and not a lot of down time or laying around. Everest base camp is out, too many days I only want to take about 9 days total if I can.

Suggestions? I'm just browsing right now, but serious about going somewhere.
    We spent 45 days riding most of the length of Patagonia. El Calafate was admittedly the furtherest south we went (not too far north).

I would research Tierra Del Fuego carefully. Our experience of Patagonia's southern part on the east side of the Andes was that is was as colse to hell as you can get on this planet. The wind blows from the north at a steady 45mph and it is a barren waste land where nothing grows and nothing lives except guanacos.

Of all the places I've been, I can think of nothing that compares to cycling in the Dolomites (assuming you like riding and/or hiking in the mountains). You will want to do that in late June or very early July before the tourist crowd shows up.

Not Banned
    Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego to Fly Fish. Hike while you're catching amazing fish.

These are clients of mine, they have a lot of options and some of their trips are pretty swanky for the location.

https://barkingzebratours.com/
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    This summer's Grand Canyon Raft trip was way up there for our adventures. We did a motor trip (8 days) due to time constraints but a 14 day oar or paddle trip would be high on the list. Lots of hiking each day along with river and camp time. Its not international but it was incredible and the place is magic and the company (a few loungers) was great. We cancelled a European trip to make this one. We are considering delaying another Euro trip to do it again.

Planning a R2R2R in April for my actual birthday, love the Grand Canyon. We love rafting also, but more than a day is too much for us. I have never rafted there, a day or two might be a consideration.

It's looking like Patagonia around the holidays, it just works better for us, and it will be better weather.

Not Banned
    Planning a R2R2R in April for my actual birthday, love the Grand Canyon. We love rafting also, but more than a day is too much for us. I have never rafted there, a day or two might be a consideration.

It's looking like Patagonia around the holidays, it just works better for us, and it will be better weather.
    bring fishing gear
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Spicy Dumpling

It's NOT about the rafting. It's the whole package, I'm a whitewater junkie, I was an expert level kayaker back in the 90's so I thought a motor raft was a sellout. But the whole package is remarkable. The hikes, the parts of the canyon you can't get to except by river are incredible. It's not a raft trip, that's just how you get there.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Master debator.
    Flying into Buenos Aires next Wednesday for one night, then fly to El Calafate the next day where we have a short 2 hour horseback ride. Then the hiking begins, with a day of white water rafting in there also. I picked up a Panasonic 20mm prime lens as I wanted to keep the pack light. Not even sure I'll bring the zoom lens at all. Looking forward to 2 weeks of vacation.

Obligatory pic with the new lens.

P1040076resized.jpg

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I had planned for 30 years to go heli-skiing for my 50th...when it came, I wasnít into the skiing as much as biking, so I bought $20,000 dollars worth of bikes.
    Donít regret my choice ONE bit, I use every one of them many dozens of times a year, they keep on giving.

Master debator.
    So I should buy a new road bike or carbon fat bike when I get back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast