PlatyPius

Thread: PlatyPius

Born to chase Ducks

PlatyPius

It seems PlatyPius, famous here for his epic Opening A Bike Shop threads (1 thru 4), and more recently, his “Hey, Remember When I Asked What a Heart Attack Felt Like?” Thread, has left the the forum, as in, he’s gone to the Great RBR Lounge in the Sky. Or something like that.

For those that had been following along on Facebook, and also for those that haven’t, he had finally made it back out to his tiny cabin in the middle of nowhere, Oklahoma, and always seemed happier there. He was found earlier today, laying next to his mailbox out by the road, with his faithful companion, Brian Le Dog, guarding him.

A neighbor found him and he was taken by ambulance to a hospital where he died.
    His estranged wife in Britain has been notified by Platy’s mom. She reportedly is not taking this well, as you might imagine. We are assuming his only son has also been notified.

No word on cause of death at this time....

I met Platy here in The Lounge, but we got to be close friends IRL. He was a good guy. I’m gonna miss that asshat!

— Don4
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

What the what???
    That's very sad news. I didn't know Platy for very long here, but he was always kind and a great source of knowledge for newbs like me.
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I didn’t know him well but he was a good guy. It was hard to see his struggles on FB the last few years and, in a sense, I’m glad for him that his struggles are over. Thanks for sharing, Don.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Sucks. Liked him, thought he was funny/wise, quoted ‘im, sigged ‘im.

And, he wasn’t all that old, now was he?

Sigh. Well, somewhere up in heaven (a concept didn’t believe in, IIRC), Plat is no doubt still cracking wise and making a general pain of himself.

*salutes*
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Wow, that's terrible. I did not know him on FB. RIP, Platy.

Shirtcocker
    RIP Larry.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

Seat's not level
    Larry was definitely an interesting character.

RIP Larry
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    RIP, Larry! I did a profile of his bike shop for a project in college...I learned a bunch from our brief interactions, and still rock the handlebar bell he sent me on my MTB!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Darling of The Lounge
    I'm sorry to hear of his passing. Platy was a prolific poster with much to contribute to the forum back before Facebook sucked all the life out of this place. R.I.P.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    So sorry to hear the sad news. I always enjoyed reading his posts and gaining a bit of knowledge, tidbits and wisdom. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

May he rest in peace and continue to enjoy riding the roads in heaven.

half-fast
    Go in peace, platy.

Frog Whisperer
    He will be missed.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh wow, this is sad, though not entirely surprising given what he's been through. RIP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh man, that sucks. Super good guy. Still have a Ritchey Break-Away he ordered for me years ago.

RIP Larry

Boobies!
    Wow--and I too thought that he was doing much better after the surgery and all.

Life is precious, and the only scarce resource is time. I'm sorry I didn't take him up on his offer to come work with him a bit back in the bike shop days...

Godspeed, imaginary friend!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Sad to go like that all alone. At least he had a dog for company. I remember him well. He struggled with the bike shop he opened and with his British wife. Neither ended well. Like other posters here who work in the bike industry, he had his strong opinions. I'm sure he's in a better place now, and probably not riding a Specialized bike (what was that saying he had about Specialized bikes, goats and syphilis?).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yesterday the mail truck rolled up the driveway with . . . a package from Larry. I had - months ago - participated in one of his periodic I’m Selling Everything I Own To Buy Tires For My Truck (or something like that) sales and had bought a set of torque wrenches. He must have packed the box before he went to OK, and I’m guessing his mom shipped it out, but he’d thrown in a bunch of extra stuff he hust have had laying around. A saddle, a pair of socks, some wash stuff for gear, a set of calipers - and 3 cat toys. That part was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born to chase Ducks
    OKAY, IT'S OFFICALLY A DATE!

WUT:
    Larry Shinn's (aka "Platy") Memorial Service

WHERE:
    First Baptist Church
    404 Judson Dr
    Greencastle, IN 46135

(765) 653-3136

WHEN:
    THIS Saturday, January 18, 2020
    Visitation: 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
    Service: Starts at 11:15 AM

SOLVE A MYSTERY: Find out if Larry was an Imaginary or Real Internet Friend....  

EVEN STRANGER: Larry's only son, who is like 31, and whom Larry had communicated with, but had never met in person, may be there.

Refreshments will be served after the event. If possible, the church would like to know how many people to expect, so they can plan.

Be there, Aloha!

https://goo.gl/maps/MartMCfkkwh2Re4J6
    Last edited by Don4; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I cannot decide whether the seafoam green Lounge kit is cursed or a suit of armor that protects us...like a lycra St. Christopher's medal.

すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Don4 View Post
    OKAY, IT'S OFFICALLY A DATE!

EVEN STRANGER: Larry's only son, who is like 31, and whom Larry had communicated with, but had never met in person, may be there.
    Sending flowers and a book on

RoadBikeReview Member
    He was quite the character. I love that the package made it posthumously, almost like business as usual.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Sad to go like that all alone. At least he had a dog for company. I remember him well. He struggled with the bike shop he opened and with his British wife. Neither ended well. Like other posters here who work in the bike industry, he had his strong opinions.

I'm sure he's in a better place now, and probably not riding a Specialized bike (what was that saying he had about Specialized bikes, goats and syphilis?).
    Check my sig.
    MH: I want to go like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Sys: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that the children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bugger, I knew he had health issues but it's sad to read when people you kind of know pass on. Rest in peace Larry.