Portable A/C units?
    Russian Troll Farmer

Portable A/C units?

I'm considering buying a DeLonghi Pinguino portable unit to augment our window A/C units. I probably would've just bought an inexpensive window unit if it weren't for the small openings in the vinyl replacement windows in the back of my house. The only low-profile window unit I can find that will fit costs almost as much, and would require an awkward installation (open the window to cleaning position to get the back end of the unit through), and I'm not even sure if putting an A/C unit in a vinyl widow is a good idea.

I've heard that these portable units can be a problem if too much water is produced, and I'm certain that they are less efficient, but by how much? Adding central is not an option.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Those don't look very efficient. If you own, go with a mini split.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I have one of those portable units and it works for us. We use it in a small bedroom. Moisture is not a problem. I do periodically empty it if we have been using it a fair amount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    My mother has one I set up for use in the summer in her small apartment. It works well, and water in the pan at the bottom is not a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My employer owns a few portable A/Cs. They lose their charge in 2-3 years and stop working, usually at a bad time. The mini-split another poster noted is a better way to go.

Water shouldn't be a problem, though you will occasionally need to drain the unit.

Russian Troll Farmer
    What is a "mini-split"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    A picture is worth a thousand words, goggle "mini split" any way you want to spell it.
    BANNED

Russian Troll Farmer
    Updates: I bought the unit, and put it in the back bedroom, venting it through the window attachment. I've found that it can also vent through a common dryer vent, and I might install one of those back there for next summer, in a better location.

As for how well the unit works, it pushes a LOT of cold air, and the fan is noisier than I'd like. I generally use it as the last unit to go on, and the first to shut off. With 3 a/c's running, I use on pedestal fan to circulate air around the center of the house, and 1 tower fan to push air down a hallway. So far, this setup works well on 90+ days. We rarely need to start the window a/c's before noon, and the DeLonghi before 3.

Masters Neophyte
    That's a great point- while these push a lot of cold air, they are generally VERY loud. We have two in our house- one in the living room and one in the Mstr Bedroom. The one in the bedroom is so loud that I often leave and sleep on the sofa in the family room.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Updates: I bought the unit, and put it in the back bedroom, venting it through the window attachment. I've found that it can also vent through a common dryer vent, and I might install one of those back there for next summer, in a better location.

As for how well the unit works, it pushes a LOT of cold air, and the fan is noisier than I'd like. I generally use it as the last unit to go on, and the first to shut off. With 3 a/c's running, I use on pedestal fan to circulate air around the center of the house, and 1 tower fan to push air down a hallway. So far, this setup works well on 90+ days. We rarely need to start the window a/c's before noon, and the DeLonghi before 3.
    Yes, not quiet, but we got one given to us when our neighbor splashed out for a full new system. I dug it out this year, and so far have not turned it on.

It has been unseasonably cool though. We're managing with just dehumidifiers...
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    picked up the Danby unit from costco a couple months ago. It has been hotter than usual here, so I actually had to turn on the cooling for about 4 nights this summer. It is VERY LOUD. PNW oceanfront means even if it is 90F midday, it is 60F by 10pm. So instead we've bene usig the Danby's fresh air fan instead, mostly.

Russian Troll Farmer
    3rd summer update: unit still works well, but we use it only for the hottest days, when the need for a 3rd a/c unit is greatest, and also when I need to cool the back bedroom down a bit before sleeping. After 2 seasons with the cheap low-profile window attachment, I built a larger window holder out of wood, so that I could use the dryer-style outlet with it. This way, I could move it from one room to the next, so that on those nights I needed it to coll all night, at least it was in the next room and most of the noise was there as well.

In the end I have enough cooling for a house of nearly 2000 sq. ft for a total outlay of, what, less than $1500?