Positive Reinforcement
    RoadBikeReview Member

Positive Reinforcement

An odd sequence of commercials came on. Each featured some form of repair service, be it car, HVAC, teeth... but there WAS a consistent theme.

Each commercial featured someone "repairing" the problem. At no time does the "repairer" turn around and say, "I can't find anything wrong... you're good to go" or "beats the hell outta me".

These ads reinforce your "need" by illustrating your "expectations" without muddying the issue by discussing which of your children you'll need to sell to pay for it! Or maybe you and/or your SO will come to "terms" with the HVAC guy?

Darling of The Lounge

RoadBikeReview Member
    Truth in advertising is dicey at best. If you believe every commercial on TV, you will live forever, pimple free, with rock hard abs, a headful of hair with a perpetual boner while cooking on nonstick surfaces and peeing only once a night.

We seemed to be predisposed to believe... less likely to be skeptics.

Darling of The Lounge
    As Styx so aptly put it, "it's a grand illusion."

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    That's where I've gotten in trouble at work (I've actually been formally disciplined with a write-up on it): if it takes me more than 5 minutes to identify and diagnose a problem, I'm expected to call in one of our contractors. But, I need to make it "look like" I'm working on it, so it appears that I'm working. This means, for instance, if our dryer goes out and needs a new temperature sensor, that I'm expected to go behind the machines where nobody can see me and bang around on the sheet metal with a wrench of a hammer (just to make sounds) and zap things with my cordless drill (again, so they can hear the drill firing and think I'm working on something).
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    The consistent theme was that nobody is going to pay for an advertisement showing them to be anything less than competent at the service that they're trying to get you to pay for.

Commercials don't establish my "need" for anything but if I have determined that I need or want something then perhaps that commercial helps me identify who I may wish to contact.

You haven't exactly stumbled upon a conspiracy here.

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    We seemed to be predisposed to believe... less likely to be skeptics.
    I don't buy that at all either. I've known too many (annoyingly) skeptical people as well as great critical thinkers to believe otherwise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I don't buy that at all either. I've known too many (annoyingly) skeptical people as well as great critical thinkers to believe otherwise.
    … and while hoping not to have this thread moved (or maybe it should be) we've got folks in the White House who indicate otherwise... or to take a different tack...

The science/engineering behind the Max8 issue is hard pressed to weather public feelings. The tragedy of the loss of life in these two noted incidents is not trivial, however, public feelings demanded the groundings regardless. It's a factor of how most people think.

Ironically, not an abject conspiracy, but a Kaiser Soze moment.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Who reads these instruction Immanu'els anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    … and while hoping not to have this thread moved (or maybe it should be) we've got folks in the White House who indicate otherwise... or to take a different tack...

The science/engineering behind the Max8 issue is hard pressed to weather public feelings.
    The Keyser Söze moment for me came after Söze stood up and walked out of the investigator's office gradually regaining a gaited stride from a cripple. Much like how the anit-stall software pushes down the nose of the plane under certain situations -seemed to surprise untrained or unbriefed pilots who were sold a bill of goods being exactly like a regular old 737 minus mentioning an all-new MCAS.

I really loved that movie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Much like how the anit-stall software pushes down the nose of the plane under certain situations -seemed to surprise untrained or unbriefed pilots who were sold a bill of goods being exactly like a regular old 737 minus mentioning an all-new MCAS.
    Public perception: For the love of GOD!!! Ground the damn plane!!!!

Engineer's perception: We need more data. Keep flying.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    Damn Positives!!! Some ad team pulled out every trick in the book for this one (as he wipes a tear from the corner of his eye).