is it possible to receive a lethal dose of Hallmark Christmas movies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

is it possible to receive a lethal dose of Hallmark Christmas movies?

It's been on practically 24/7 at our house. I don't know how much longer I can hold out. Earlier today I found myself empathizing with one of the characters. I'm scared

Master debator.
    Yea, no, I'd probably break down and beat my wife. But I'm lucky, she likes to watch football.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    It's been on practically 24/7 at our house. I don't know how much longer I can hold out. Earlier today I found myself empathizing with one of the characters. I'm scared
    I thought they held off on starting that crap until after thanksgiving.

My wife and I have friends who host an "It's A Wonderful Life" movie night/party every year after thanksgiving. This year, after something like 10 years of this event, we opted out. The host is PO'd off at us.

I'm old enough that I can now recite all the lines from that movie backward and forward... my wife and I are also old enough that it feels like we just did that party, even though it's a year ago.

The problem is, we've all seen "It's A Wonderful Life" so many times, we can't stifle ourselves doing lines from the movie and goofing on it. "Merry Christmas, Building and Loan!" "You two pixies are outta here!"

Our host, on the other hand, demands quietude and reverence during the movie.

I'm as festive as the next guy, but FFS, how much is a person expected to be force-fed before rebelling, as you have done DaveG?
    Last edited by SPlKE; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I thought they held off on starting that crap until after thanksgiving.

My wife and I have friends who host an "It's A Wonderful Life" movie night/party every year after thanksgiving. This year, after something like 10 years of this event, we opted out. The host is PO'd off at us.

I'm old enough that I can now recite all the lines from that movie backward and forward... my wife and I are also old enough that it feels like we just did that party, even though it's a year ago.

The problem is, we've all seen "It's A Wonderful Life" so many times, we can't stifle ourselves doing lines from the movie and goofing on it. "Merry Christmas, Building and Loan!" "You two pixies are outta here!"

Our host, on the other hand, demands quietude and reverence during the movie.

I'm as festive as the next guy, but FFS, how much is a person expected to be force-fed before rebelling, as you have done DaveG?
    SPIKE, I am already so badly weakened I don't have the strength to fight back

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    To use the current idiotic buzzphrase: You have to "Speak Truth to Power" wherein...

Truth = I'm sick of this Christmas movie crap.

Power = Purveyors of Christmas movie crap.

Forget the War on Christmas.

It's time for the "War on Mind-Numbing Christmas Crap That Starts Earlier Every Effing Year"

... and ruins what might otherwise be some actual, natural Christmas cheer...

... the kind we had when I was a kid and we all hand-made gifts for one another:

- broaches made of homemade bakelite, knotted hair and sharpened baby teeth,

- chunks of wood carved to look vaguely like a pony, a tractor, baron samedi, or something similar,

- fruitcake which could be used as a doorstop, a weapon, or an emergency wax ring for a leaky commode, etc, etc.

The Good Olde Days.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Comical. The size of these 55-70" 4k televisions have compounded those driving through a suburban neighborhood seeing the glare of main rooms flickering in synchronicity. The season is here.

Touch me.

No.

Touch me.

Must I?

Must I touch you?

Yes, you were up my high school chimney with that smile twenty years earlier in Home Room.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    - broaches made of homemade bakelite, knotted hair and sharpened baby teeth,
    I saw that HallMark (™) and Freddie was so sexy. The gals head spun 360° and someone was heard yelling REDRUM.

A snowy day, in the altitude.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Sweet Potato Kugel
    The Good Olde Days.
    Great stuff. LOL ^^^^

half-fast
    I like fruitcake

The rest of it, not so much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can sorta watch the one about a kid that wants a BB gun...other than that, the rest pretty much suck.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Russian Troll Farmer
    Around here, there is a certain FM radio station which will start playing Xmas tunes tomorrow, and won't stop until Jan 2nd. I once worked at a place which played this station on all the speakers 24/7!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Master debator.
    I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life, really. I do make it a point to watch the shenanigans of Randy and Ralphy every year though. Being of that age I also try to watch the classic animated stuff like Charlie Brown and Rudolph and Frosty etc. but that's about it.

We do make it a point to watch Joyeux Noel every year though, it's worth the time and we aren't crying at the end of it like we would at a Hallmark movie.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Darling of The Lounge
    Hallmark movies have two basic formulas:

1. Underdog guy or gal gets the love of their dreams at the end of the story
    2. Guy and girl with a past relationship meet up again and finally fall in love....but not before some interim idiot plot leads them astray at first.

I have been exposed to many hours of the Hallmark channel, which has lead me to this conclusion.

feelin' Freddie Mercury
    People and entities that start the Xmas stuff before Thanksgiving should be executed. Period.
    Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Stockholm syndrome?

Seat's not level
    Came home about 2 weeks ago to the neighbors christmas lights full blaze. As we got out of the car I stated "This is why I hate F'n Christmas". I think the neighbors must have heard... Lights were off until last night. Now 4 houses on the street are all lit up.

What shopping I will do will probably be online. Will try and avoid the shopping mauls , and yes, I spelled that correctly..

I"m pretty much over the holidays and they haven't even started.
    • This forum requires that you wait 2 days between posts. Please try again in 17 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonHowl View Post
    Stockholm syndrome?
    So, I am kinda like Patty Hearst except my captors are Candace Cameron Bure and Lacey Chabert instead of the SLA?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    When hit with a potentially lethal dose of the Hallmark Channel send in the clowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysz4TUI3Cdk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    We don't get the Hallmark Channel so I'm spared this idiocy. Actually, I would be spared anyway as my wife certainly wouldn't be having it either.

What "we" get instead (actually, just my wife) is an invitation to "cookie party". A bunch of neighborhood girls get together for an evening of wine drinking and homemade cookie eating. There's a vote held for various categories of cookies and everyone goes home with a dozen or so at the end of the night.

The catch? Every invitee needs to bake 10 to 12 DOZEN cookies to share!

The other catch? My wife is the only woman invited who has a f-ing day job. She has no time to bake let alone deal with the shaming that ensues when she tries to turn down the invite.

The other catch? She's a fitness junkie who hates eating baked goods. I have no self control and love baked goods, but have made some real fitness gains this past year and don't need the temptation of sumptuous baked goods going into winter time.

I'm not sure if I should feel 1) more sad that she gets put through this each year, 2) ashamed that, unlike the other other husbands, I don't make enough $ to have a stay-at-home wife, or 3) angry that my wife, who makes more than me, won't support ME so I can stay home and bake the darn cookies!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    We don't get the Hallmark Channel so I'm spared this idiocy. Actually, I would be spared anyway as my wife certainly wouldn't be having it either.

What "we" get instead (actually, just my wife) is an invitation to "cookie party". A bunch of neighborhood girls get together for an evening of wine drinking and homemade cookie eating. There's a vote held for various categories of cookies and everyone goes home with a dozen or so at the end of the night.

The catch? Every invitee needs to bake 10 to 12 DOZEN cookies to share!

The other catch? My wife is the only woman invited who has a f-ing day job. She has no time to bake let alone deal with the shaming that ensues when she tries to turn down the invite.

The other catch? She's a fitness junkie who hates eating baked goods. I have no self control and love baked goods, but have made some real fitness gains this past year and don't need the temptation of sumptuous baked goods going into winter time.

I'm not sure if I should feel 1) more sad that she gets put through this each year, 2) ashamed that, unlike the other other husbands, I don't make enough $ to have a stay-at-home wife, or 3) angry that my wife, who makes more than me, won't support ME so I can stay home and bake the darn cookies!
    I see no other option but to fake your own deaths to get out from under this cookie conundrum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Dir-t, you have to bake 10-12 dozen cookies but you only come home with a dozen??? Something ain’t right here.
    Last edited by ogre; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:51 PM. Reason: Cxx

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Dir-t, you have to bake 10-12 dozen cookies but you only come home with a dozen??? Something ain’t right here.
    I was thinking the same thing. But I don't have math genes, according to my mom. So I didn't want to embarrass myself by speaking up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I was thinking the same thing. But I don't have math genes, according to my mom. So I didn't want to embarrass myself by speaking up.
    I don't fully have my head wrapped around it either but a lot get eaten at the party during the judging/voting process. Come to think of it, we probably get a dozen of EACH type of cookie. She only went the first year and has come up with excuses to miss it the past 2 or 3.

Proud luddite
    The holiday movie that my wife and I have come to enjoy every year is "Home for the Holidays", which presents a wonderfully dysfunctional family that gathers for Thanksgiving, with tension building until the big meal comes...and of course Thanksgiving dinner turns into a complete disaster. It always makes us chuckle and isn't your typical sappy sweet holiday film.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    I don't fully have my head wrapped around it either but a lot get eaten at the party during the judging/voting process. Come to think of it, we probably get a dozen of EACH type of cookie. She only went the first year and has come up with excuses to miss it the past 2 or 3.
    Maybe there are some ‘special’ cookies and they don’t trade 1:1 with the other norml cookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast